Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Roman mass never had an epiclesis as one finds in Eastern liturgies. St. Nicholas Cabasilas, in his commentary on the divine liturgy, addresses this by arguing that the prayer Supplices te rogamus contained in the Roman canon constitutes an epiclesis.

Much later, some Orthodox bishops appear to have ignored St. Nicholas' commentary and required Western Rite Orthodox to insert a Byzantine epiclesis into their mass.

just because it's included, that doesn't mean the bishops ignored what the saint said. no need to be snarky against our bishops.

Upvote 0

A Shield of Turquoise

Apr 29, 2019
Southeastern Pennsylvania
✟15,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
just because it's included, that doesn't mean the bishops ignored what the saint said. no need to be snarky against our bishops.

The interpolation implies snarkiness not only against St. Nicholas but against all the Orthodox Western saints who, by implication, celebrated a defective liturgy. It also contradicts St. John Maximovitch's statement that one does not need to be Eastern to be Orthodox.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The interpolation implies snarkiness not only against St. Nicholas but against all the Orthodox Western saints who, by implication, celebrated a defective liturgy. It also contradicts St. John Maximovitch's statement that one does not need to be Eastern to be Orthodox.

not really. the Western Rite and its use is NOT the same as the pre-Schism days, nor is it the same as St Nicholas. which means the bishops might have inserted it for other reasons. living in 20th (and especially 21st) century America is a totally different condition.

Upvote 0

A Shield of Turquoise

Apr 29, 2019
✟15,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The differences in the core Roman rite today with its pre-schism forms are negligible, and the supplices te rogamus that St. Nicholas Cabasilas considers an epiclesis was never removed, so you're wrong about that. There is nothing in 21st century conditions that necessitates adding a superfluous Byzantine epiclesis. Rather, this decision was made on the basis of dubious early 20th century liturgical scholarship.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The differences in the core Roman rite today with its pre-schism forms are negligible, and the supplices te rogamus that St. Nicholas Cabasilas considers an epiclesis was never removed, so you're wrong about that. There is nothing in 21st century conditions that necessitates adding a superfluous Byzantine epiclesis. Rather, this decision was made on the basis of dubious early 20th century liturgical scholarship.

I wasn't talking about the core of the service, I was talking about the people that we engage with today (i.e. Americans). pastoral considerations are different.

so no, not wrong. or I would be if I was talking about what you are talking about.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am not a bishop so I dunno. but I certainly wouldn't accuse them of ignoring something that they might not necessarily have ignored. you would have to ask them.

but, being a Western Orthodox convert myself, I could see it as being inserted to make the clear distinction that there IS a difference between Orthodoxy (to include the West) and the rest of Christendom.

Upvote 0

A Shield of Turquoise

Apr 29, 2019
✟15,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
but, being a Western Orthodox convert myself, I could see it as being inserted to make the clear distinction that there IS a difference between Orthodoxy (to include the West) and the rest of Christendom.

1. If you recognize that the pre-schism Latin church was Orthodox, then this would contradict that; 2. The Novus Ordo mass in fact has at least one option for the canon that has a Byzantine-style epiclesis; likewise several modern Protestant rites.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
1. If you recognize that the pre-schism Latin church was Orthodox, then this would contradict that; 2. The Novus Ordo mass in fact has at least one option for the canon that has a Byzantine-style epiclesis; likewise several modern Protestant rites.

1. if you knew about Liturgical history and how things have been added and/or removed, you would know it doesn't contradict that.

2. 'twas just my opinion. I don't know enough about bishop motivation unlike some, so I am fine with that being wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How so Father?

if grace is created, and she is the Mediatrix of all graces, where does the Incarnation fit in? how was grace mediated before her death and translation to the heavens?

• Informative
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In our Bible Study last evening, it was mentioned that in some western services the ἐπίκλησις has been eliminated. For Orthodox, the Eucharist is not complete without it. As far as I know, it was never part of the Lord's Supper in the protestant churches that I attended.
It took a second for me to sound that out. I don’t typically use Greek lettering. For those not familiar with Greek, it is the epiclesis.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0