God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I never thought all biblical dogmas should be defended ( some are abusive and degrading to women and/or children .some are superstitious nonsense about natural phenomena . And then there’s the gay bashing which I think is wrong and stupid just on GEneral principles
I’m the wrong one to ask to defend these.

It's wrong for a Christian to dismiss any part of Scripture. It just may not mean what certain people have told you that it means.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If the Bible condones or approves of toxic behavior it will be dismissed. Slavery , especially in the southern USA, was defended by using the Bible . And you have modern idiots who still bring up these arguments. Misogyny is still defended by using the Bible. I don’t see the point in defending abusive or demeaning behavior and blaming it on God.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If the Bible condones or approves of toxic behavior it will be dismissed. Slavery , especially in the southern USA, was defended by using the Bible . And you have modern idiots who still bring up these arguments. Misogyny is still defended by using the Bible. I don’t see the point in defending abusive or demeaning behavior and blaming it on God.

You can defend anything using Scripture if you twist it enough. Satan even tried to do that against Jesus.

• Agree
Reactions: lamb7
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,965.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Wow... To be honest me too and it hurt me. I can relate I have issues with depression and anxiety and have been accused of the same of not having faith and demonized esp. because I take medication.

Who cares about flat or round earth you know if it is round or flat I'm ok with that. Minor issue you know?
It's actually not that minor...

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Truth be told, I've gotten more a lot more grief here from Christians than I ever get from atheists, such as:

1) I have depression is due to the fact that I lack faith.
2) I lack discernment (and do not believe the Bible) because I don't think the world is a flat circle.
3) I am "of the world" (which is Bad) because I don't listen to only Christian(tm) music.
4) I'm probably not a RealTrue Christian because I think owls are neat birds.
5) I have demons in me because I enjoyed Final Fantasy VII.
6) I really have demons in me because I have D&D books in my home.

Etc., etc....
Just Pharisees being Pharisees. Keep the faith, brother. :oldthumbsup:

• Winner
Reactions: lamb7
Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It's actually not that minor...

I wouldn't call it "minor" either, but it *is* something that someone can usually ignore in their day-to-day life. Planetary topography doesn't really affect how I weed my garden or fix a computer, for example. Likewise, whether or not Jupiter has rings makes no difference to me from moment to moment.

On the other hand, if you're a flight controller, I really don't want you guiding planes if you don't know the actual shape of the earth.

I think the real issue I have with Flat Earth is that it seems based on the idea that once you make up your mind that something sounds agreeable to you, that any evidence to the contrary *must* be wrong regardless of source, veracity, or anything else. This is very human, but it's not a very helpful direction to take. And it can lead to some truly strange beliefs which might one day wind up hurting people.

Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
And that's the difference with believers. We try to keep our eye on what's really important, Jesus.

Well, some folks seem to have the idea that if you don't believe in Flat Earth, you are denying the Bible, which means denying Christ, which means you aren't really a Christian in the first place. So while they may say it isn't a salvation issue, in essence they kind of think it is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Well, some folks seem to have the idea that if you don't believe in Flat Earth, you are denying the Bible, which means denying Christ, which means you aren't really a Christian in the first place. So while they may say it isn't a salvation issue, in essence they kind of think it is.

And Paul, Augustine, Lewis and many others argue that if you get mundane facts wrong you then destroy your ability to present the gospel, for why should one trust a source that has been wrong regarding the things you know and can check?

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just Pharisees being Pharisees. Shake the dust from your feet and move on from them. :amen:

Upvote 0