Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Surely you aren't that bitter of the Bible?

No, I'm that honest about the Bible. The Hebrews were flat earthers.

My point was that it's silly to accuse atheists of spreading a "religion". They are spreading scientific knowledge as surely as teaching children that the Earth is round.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dcarrera

Apr 26, 2014
Lund, Sweden
Visit site
✟9,347.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't matter if I read the article or not, the point was that a certain element of the scientific community is getting bolder, and more open

Well, I am sure you would not object to freedom of speech and free open discussion of topics that were once taboo.

Upvote 0

Heissonear

Geochemist and Stratigrapher
Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2011
Lake Conroe
✟179,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So you are complaining about something when you don't even know what it says.

Or how about maybe it was an article about whether human brains are or are not hardwired to find religion?

Like these articles:

Humans 'hardwired for religion' | World news | theguardian.com

Are humans hard-wired for faith? - CNN.com

Phil Zuckerman: Are We 'Hard-Wired' for God?

Is religion hardwired? « Why Evolution Is True

Is The Human Brain Hardwired for God? | Think Tank | Big Think

Science Explains Why Our Brains May Be ‘Hardwired’ for God

Why we are born to believe in God: It's wired into the brain, says psychologist | Mail Online

In short, look before you leap, otherwise you may fall flat on your face...

Now KTS, you know like I know you nor science nor Naturalists can prove there is no God.

The title of the OP is correct, Atheistic Scientists. It is their faith, not proof that is foundational.

Upvote 0

dcarrera

Apr 26, 2014
Lund, Sweden
Visit site
✟9,347.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Now KTS, you know like I know you nor science nor Naturalists can prove there is no God.

The title of the OP is correct, Atheistic Scientists. It is their faith, not proof that is foundational.

Most people who call themselves atheist, are agnostic atheists who do not claim to actively know that god does not exist, but simply do not believe in things for which they have no evidence. Let me ask you a question. Do you believe in fairies? If not, what evidence do you have that fairies cannot exist? Or do you simply feel that not believing in fairies is the reasonable default position until someone gives you positive evidence for them?

Richard Dawkins, perhaps the world's most famous atheist, proposed a 7-point scale:

1) Absolute, 100% certainty that there is a god.
2) Strong confidence that there is a god.
3) Slightly lean toward belief in god.
4) Exact 50/50.
5) Slightly lean against belief in god.
6) Strong confidence that there is no god.
7) Absolute, 100% certainty that there is no god.

Dawkins called himself a "6" on this scale. I don't know any atheist who is a "7". The closest thing to a "7" that I have seen is one atheist who argues that the concept of god is incoherent.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Passing judgment on a piece of writing without reading it... from what I hear, it's nothing like you said. It's just a pop-science magazine, anyway.

As for atheist churches, that sure sounds silly to me, but I'll be it sounds silly to a bunch of atheists too.

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah. Atheists are stupid.

Hey now,some of my best friends are atheists..Don't be talkin' about them like that!
mini-wink-glasses.gif

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Hey now,some of my best friends are atheists..Don't be talkin' about them like that!
mini-wink-glasses.gif

Y'know, considering that atheists are outnumbered by Christians by about 7 to 1 in our society, and every Christian has at least one "atheist best friend" that allows them to squirm out of their hyperbole, atheists must be the friendliest people around. Makes you wonder why people hate them so much.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Y'know, considering that atheists are outnumbered by Christians by about 7 to 1 in our society, and every Christian has at least one "atheist best friend" that allows them to squirm out of their hyperbole, atheists must be the friendliest people around. Makes you wonder why people hate them so much.

I know no atheists IRL.

Then again, I don't actually know the religious affiliation of most people I associate with outside of church. So I might know some but not be aware of it.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The title of the OP is correct, Atheistic Scientists.

Since the author is not a scientist, and I can't see any indication from the preview that the story is about scientists doing anything, much less pushing a "religion", the assertion that the OP is correct with regard to "Atheistic Scientists" is counterfactual.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I don't hate them,although I dislike some,especially when they acquire the militant state of mind.
I will respect their(and your)lack of faith,as long as they don't try to trample on my beliefs.Fair enough?

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I don't hate them,although I dislike some,especially when they acquire the militant state of mind.
I will respect their(and your)lack of faith,as long as they don't try to trample on my beliefs.Fair enough?

Right, some of your best friends are atheists. I forgot.

Upvote 0

pyramid33

Mar 21, 2014
✟3,478.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, I'm that honest about the Bible. The Hebrews were flat earthers.

My point was that it's silly to accuse atheists of spreading a "religion". They are spreading scientific knowledge as surely as teaching children that the Earth is round.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Okay, you are saying that "Hebrews" taught a flat earth. Where is that taught? Cause I don't remember reading it.

Secondly, you are saying that you support the awareness of knowledge, which I have no problem with.

What I don't get is how come you have a title for it and say that it doesn't include believers in God. How come you are leaving me out of the truth quest you are embarking on? I have stated plainly that I believe in the truth. Sure, maybe some disagree with me in the pursuit, but that doesn't mean you group all people that believe in God out. I have honestly never heard a Christian say that the scripture's that speak of truth, are wrong. That'd be an error. So we have a common ground. We both are humbled enough to accept the truth for what it is. Now maybe I have witnessed truth that you have yet to witness due to my belief in God, that doesn't mean I'm against truth.

So what is so different about you that says a believer in God is different? Is it cause you have not discovered it and cannot give an answer for it, or is it because you have proven within yourself that it is not true?

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know no atheists IRL.

Then again, I don't actually know the religious affiliation of most people I associate with outside of church. So I might know some but not be aware of it.

Well, considering the social stigma associated with being an atheist in the United States, I would bet you know more than one, you just don't know it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Okay, you are saying that "Hebrews" taught a flat earth. Where is that taught? Cause I don't remember reading it.

It isn't "taught" so much as implied in the language used. For example:

Isaiah 40:22: "He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in."

Psalm 104:5: "He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved."

The picture is something like this:

heaven_of_heavens.jpg

What I don't get is how come you have a title for it and say that it doesn't include believers in God. How come you are leaving me out of the truth quest you are embarking on? I have stated plainly that I believe in the truth.

What you mean by a quest for truth, and what I mean by a quest for truth, and two totally different things. We have very different ideas of how one validates truth claims, and may even have different ideas on just what "truth" means.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
As for atheist churches [...] I'll [bet] it sounds silly to a bunch of atheists too.

Yes, it does. But usually through an overly literal interpretation of the meaning of the word "church".

There's nothing silly about atheists getting together based on shared elements in their worldviews. One need not use the word "church" to describe such a group or gathering, but I don't see why not. Such a group may fulfill many of the needs that churches traditionally fill. After all, atheists need community and fellowship too. These are human needs.

Not everyone is a "joiner", of course, so this isn't necessarily something for everyone.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0