Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can't understand the mindset of an atheist.
Even if there was no God (which I believe of course is false), how is the belief of God lessening his life?
I'm staking my life on God's promises and trust my fate to Him.

If there is no God, then he and I are in the same state - nothingness. So we are equal - no loss, no gain.
"Nothingness is the substance that dreams of rocks have." (a quote)
On the other hand, if there is a God (as I believe), then I have everything to gain - in the after life.
Also, I wouldn't trade my life of rewards, friendships, satisfaction, happiness, servanthood, joy, and too many benefits to mention for that of an atheist. If the atheist is right, then I have lost nothing. If he is wrong, he has lost everything.

Upvote 0

havevisions

Dec 24, 2010
Southwest Virginia
✟47,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To ranunculus;
I know it is not an apologetics thread, but it a discussion in a forum. Its impossible to discuss the actions of a person who is on such a mission as his without talking of motivation. Ethics, personal philosophy and religious considerations all come into play here and must necessarily enter into the reasons for his actions. Apologetics and morality are closely related of course. This person is taking this action because of an obvious personal affront on his belief that God doesn't exist and obviously seems to be insulted that there are those of us who take exception to his feelings. That was my reason for saying the things which I did. I stand behind them.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
You have to decide... is the country you live in a secular society, that is neutral in religious questions, or do you want to have a state that caters to a religion.

Some people prefer the second, especially if it is their own religion that is catered to. "America is a Christian nation!", blah, blah.

Of course, there is this principle of seperation between religion and state, even if some people (many times the same people as mentioned above) don't see it as given. Even those who do give lip-service to secularism in the public field, too often excuse the promotion of religion as "ceremonial deism" or "it is just our motto".

But just take a look a the title of this thread - who do you think the "ceremonial deism" people are fooling?

Is the OP lamenting the "frivolous attack on ceremonial deism"? No, of course not! He knows which God is meant: the Christian one of course! And considering the instances where public servants decorate their public communal vehicles or offices with crucifixes or Bible verses, they also know which God this "ceremonial deism" is promoting!

And now consider what signal this send to the non-christian part of society.

Reactions: Locutus
Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Frivolous?

Let me hear you say that about the atheist who one day might fight to prevent the favouring of Muslim icons/rituals/prayer in your public buildings & schools etc. When your kids' football coach secretly compels them to prostrate themselves towards Mecca after a game, to tell Allah he is the only true god. And when you lose your job because the boss finds out you're not a Muslim. And when you neighbours shun you. And you're told repeatedly that you're evil and nasty. And when you're non-Muslim status is a source of shame and embarrassment to those who claim to love you, and you're pressured to keep it a dirty secret. When you're forced to participate in pre-dinner worship of Allah, on pain of excommunication from the group. When you're repeatedly told, by word and action, that Islam gets a free pass on everyone and everything - no other faith or non-faith has any rights at all.

Upvote 0

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
http://www.redstate.com/2016/01/14/...her-flawed-lawsuit-remove-god-trust-currency/

How many times do the courts have to tell this guy he's wrong?
This is just downright sad at this point.

Yes, it's hardly the biggest thing to focus on in the USA at present.
I find it interesting that the author of article repeatedly says that the legal case is flawed, without ever stating the flaw or flaws. I had to hunt for the previous legal rulings.

Hmm. ( 1970, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.)
"These acts of "ceremonial deism" are protected from Establishment Clause scrutiny chiefly because they have lost through rote repetition any significant religious content."

That is, "It doesn't really qualify as being religious anymore."
But that suggests that if it were insisted upon as genuinely religious, then a case could be made against it for that very reason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If the atheist is right, then I have lost nothing.

You may want to work out why Paul has
"If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied." I Cor 15:19.

He doesn't appear to think it's a case of "lost nothing."

On the inverse I largely agree with you. If I'm wrong in concluding that it is right to be an atheist (AND Christianity is the right theistic viewpoint) then I've lost an awful lot. Eternal life, basically.
Tempting.
But I have to go with what appears to me to be true, irrespective of proffered threats or rewards.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Reactions: Eudaimonist
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If the atheist is right, then I have lost nothing. If he is wrong, he has lost everything.
And if we're both wrong, and the Muslims are right, we both lose.

Upvote 0

de1929

May 5, 2015
✟1,167.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
http://www.redstate.com/2016/01/14/...her-flawed-lawsuit-remove-god-trust-currency/

How many times do the courts have to tell this guy he's wrong?
This is just downright sad at this point.

To ranunculus;
I know it is not an apologetics thread, but it a discussion in a forum. Its impossible to discuss the actions of a person who is on such a mission as his without talking of motivation. Ethics, personal philosophy and religious considerations all come into play here and must necessarily enter into the reasons for his actions. Apologetics and morality are closely related of course. This person is taking this action because of an obvious personal affront on his belief that God doesn't exist and obviously seems to be insulted that there are those of us who take exception to his feelings. That was my reason for saying the things which I did. I stand behind them.

Dear Bro n Sis in CHRIST :D

What atheist michael newdow do is what we called applying pressure. The goal is to build momentum. It's never about win / lost. If win okay, if lost is also okay.

I learned the words and techniques during my tenure with accenture.
https://www.accenture.com/us-en

applying pressure is nothing to do with reason.
applying pressure is nothing to do with apologetic.
applying pressure is a goal-driven, and utilizing any method, any reason, any apologetic, any resources available.

ISIS is applying pressure using terrorism. ISIS is using armed forces and media influence with disgusted pictures to spread fears.

atheist michael newdow is applying pressure using legal approach and media influence to exhaust christians. he's building the momentum to remove Christianity.

So how to counter atheist michael newdow ? very simple: apply another pressure to atheism.
how to apply another pressure to atheism ? that is off topic already. just open another thread in word-of-faith forum below:
http://www.christianforums.com/f400/

or just ask in this thread :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
So how to counter atheist michael newdow ? very simple: apply another pressure to atheism.

that's actually very funny :D

for 1700 years Christians have applied appallingly violent and hate-fuelled 'pressure' to non-believers. it's only been in the most recent few decades that we could actually admit to being non-believers without terrible repercussions. in some parts of the world there are STILL terrible repercussions for non-belief.

we haven't even started. you may want to arm doors and cross check.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

de1929

May 5, 2015
✟1,167.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
that's actually very funny :D

for 1700 years Christians have applied appallingly violent and hate-fuelled 'pressure' to non-believers. it's only been in the most recent few decades that we could actually admit to being non-believers without terrible repercussions. in some parts of the world there are STILL terrible repercussions for non-belief.

we haven't even started. you may want to arm doors and cross check.

all religion has track record doing violance. christian with crusader, now moslem with ISIS. there is no peace in religion. darwin is correct, the strong win aka survival of the fittest.

we wanna join the strong club of course, cmiiw... the question is, which one ?

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can't understand the mindset of an atheist.

Thank you for admitting to that up front.

Even if there was no God (which I believe of course is false), how is the belief of God lessening his life?

I don't think that that is necessarily true. Maybe it is true for some Christians.

If there is no God, then he and I are in the same state - nothingness.

We aren't "nothingness". Perhaps we will be that one day, but we aren't that today.

On the other hand, if there is a God (as I believe), then I have everything to gain - in the after life.

I have everything to gain -- making the most of this life. That is my everything.

Also, I wouldn't trade my life of rewards, friendships, satisfaction, happiness, servanthood, joy, and too many benefits to mention for that of an atheist.

Aside from servanthood, which is meaningless to me, I wouldn't trade any of those things to become a theist. My integrity is different than yours.

If the atheist is right, then I have lost nothing. If he is wrong, he has lost everything.

No, giving up your integrity is losing something, just as it is with me. If I lose my integrity, I will have lost everything.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

de1929

May 5, 2015
✟1,167.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for admitting to that up front.

I don't think that that is necessarily true. Maybe it is true for some Christians.

We aren't "nothingness". Perhaps we will be that one day, but we aren't that today.

I have everything to gain -- making the most of this life. That is my everything.

Aside from servanthood, which is meaningless to me, I wouldn't trade any of those things to become a theist. My integrity is different than yours.

No, giving up your integrity is losing something, just as it is with me. If I lose my integrity, I will have lost everything.

eudaimonia,

Mark

you have a value

Upvote 0