Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It sounds like we are talking about the feeling of abandonment. Sometimes we feel abandoned BY God and yet don't we also sometimes pray to abandon ourselves TO God. Isn't that our perfect model, 'Into your hands I commend my spirit." 'Thy will be done." I know many people who pray the words something like ,"I give you my all." Or "I surrender to you." That is, until life does not seem to go the way they had hoped.

Periods of dryness, abandonment, sorrow and darkness are all part of the divine plan. God is a person, unpredictable and beyond understanding. That is why faith is needed and when faith is tested.

Reactions: Notmyname
Upvote 0

Carolmariev11

May 27, 2019
Spring Hill
✟8,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, I thank you for your reply. I did not speak of hearing His Voice or having a vision as making me better a christian than another...that would be impossible and ridiculous. The only reason I mentioned it was to show the difference of where I was then and where I am now. Instead of growing, as a believer in Christ normally does, I have gone backwards, no growth, no fruit of the spirit. The whole point of my first post was the fact that I do not know what has happened. I am absolutely aware that my works are as filthy rags and without Christ, I am nothing and I can do nothing! This is my point. I am afraid because I seem to be without Christ, without His leading, Guidance, Presence...any feeling whatsoever. I also know that my faith in Christ is not a feeling but after knowing Him for so many years, I can tell the LACK of feeling, a knowing in my spirit, a blessed assurance that has been absent for over 5 years. I guess I just wondered if there was anyone else who has or is experiencing this and were they able to come back from it. I guess that if this has never happened to you, and I pray that it never does, you could never understand what I am talking about. Thanks, Carol

Upvote 0

Carolmariev11

May 27, 2019
Spring Hill
✟8,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It sounds like we are talking about the feeling of abandonment. Sometimes we feel abandoned BY God and yet don't we also sometimes pray to abandon ourselves TO God. Isn't that our perfect model, 'Into your hands I commend my spirit." 'Thy will be done." I know many people who pray the words something like ,"I give you my all." Or "I surrender to you." That is, until life does not seem to go the way they had hoped.

Periods of dryness, abandonment, sorrow and darkness are all part of the divine plan. God is a person, unpredictable and beyond understanding. That is why faith is needed and when faith is tested.
Thank you Akita, for your reply. Yes, it is a feeling of abandonment. I guess the fact that it has gone on now for over 5 years and no matter how much I pray and ask the Lord to reveal to me what it is I have done to cause this to happen or what I can do to get things back is where I am having a hard time. It is very hard to stand in faith and trust when you have no clue what it is that you have done. I do so appreciate your reply :)

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi, I thank you for your reply. I did not speak of hearing His Voice or having a vision as making me better a christian than another...that would be impossible and ridiculous. The only reason I mentioned it was to show the difference of where I was then and where I am now. Instead of growing, as a believer in Christ normally does, I have gone backwards, no growth, no fruit of the spirit. The whole point of my first post was the fact that I do not know what has happened. I am absolutely aware that my works are as filthy rags and without Christ, I am nothing and I can do nothing! This is my point. I am afraid because I seem to be without Christ, without His leading, Guidance, Presence...any feeling whatsoever. I also know that my faith in Christ is not a feeling but after knowing Him for so many years, I can tell the LACK of feeling, a knowing in my spirit, a blessed assurance that has been absent for over 5 years. I guess I just wondered if there was anyone else who has or is experiencing this and were they able to come back from it. I guess that if this has never happened to you, and I pray that it never does, you could never understand what I am talking about. Thanks, Carol

I belive it happens to most of us at one time or another and for various lengths of time. I believe it is a normal, natural and necessary part of our spiritual growth. God does not abandoned us but does seem to hide or withdraw. "My God , My God. Way have you abandoned me" Psalm 22

Upvote 0

Carolmariev11

May 27, 2019
Spring Hill
✟8,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I belive it happens to most of us at one time or another and for various lengths of time. I believe it is a normal, natural and necessary part of our spiritual growth. God does not abandoned us but does seem to hide or withdraw. "My God , My God. Way have you abandoned me" Psalm 22
Thank you!

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you Akita, for your reply. Yes, it is a feeling of abandonment. I guess the fact that it has gone on now for over 5 years and no matter how much I pray and ask the Lord to reveal to me what it is I have done to cause this to happen or what I can do to get things back is where I am having a hard time. It is very hard to stand in faith and trust when you have no clue what it is that you have done. I do so appreciate your reply :)

Carol, this is what I find so puzzling about those who talk as if God talks directly to them and get all emotionally wrapped up and "slain in the Spirit", etc. For me the emotional highs have been very few. It has been a stable journey, uncharismatic, unPentecostal. But then I am an introvert, quiet by nature. I love silence and contemplative sitting. it is so peaceful. But then it also seems empty. Could that experience off peaceful, quiet, stillness...and emptiness be a presence of God that i have not yet fully tuned in to? Is God present and I dont fully recognize? I belive so. The Psalms recommend waiting for the Lord. I think some of us do that with he majority of our lives.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Psalm 27:14 - "Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord."

Psalm 37:7 Be patient and wait for the Lord to act; don't be worried about those who prosper or those who succeed in their evil plans.
8 Don't give in to worry or anger; it only leads to trouble.
9 Those who trust in the Lord will possess the land, but the wicked will be driven out.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I’m honestly tired of being a Christian I have zero energy to pursue God anymore. When I wasn’t in my walk with Christ my life was so much better I was happy I had fun I had great friends but now it’s all gone.

I don’t say my prayers anymore because they don’t get answered and even when I do pray my life seems to get worse I don’t read my bible anymore because I have no energy to do so and I don’t want to throw away my relationship with god I really don’t but I’m just sick of living like how I am and I want to just give up.

I look around and the people who don’t follow god seem to be blessed financially and in other areas and they have so much fun like why does everyone else around me seem to have such great lives even other Christians and I’m here struggling.

Any advice
You might want to read Psalms 73.

Upvote 0

Carolmariev11

May 27, 2019
Spring Hill
✟8,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Psalm 27:14 - "Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord."

Psalm 37:7 Be patient and wait for the Lord to act; don't be worried about those who prosper or those who succeed in their evil plans.
8 Don't give in to worry or anger; it only leads to trouble.
9 Those who trust in the Lord will possess the land, but the wicked will be driven out.
Amen!!! I am waiting <3

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So I’m honestly tired of being a Christian I have zero energy to pursue God anymore. When I wasn’t in my walk with Christ my life was so much better I was happy I had fun I had great friends but now it’s all gone.

??? Okay...So, God isn't your friend? Walking with Him doesn't give you joy? Knowing that the Almighty Creator and Sustainer of the Universe, the Greatest Being in all of Existence, the Supreme Power and Sovereign over Everything is your Saviour and Friend just tires you out? Really? You sure you really have a relationship with God?

I don’t say my prayers anymore because they don’t get answered and even when I do pray my life seems to get worse I don’t read my bible anymore because I have no energy to do so and I don’t want to throw away my relationship with god I really don’t but I’m just sick of living like how I am and I want to just give up.

Well, God always answers our prayers. Sometimes, yes, sometimes, no, sometimes, wait. Of course, God doesn't promise to answer prayers that emanate from a sinful life.

Isaiah 59:1-2
1 Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, That it cannot save; Nor His ear heavy, That it cannot hear.
2 But your iniquities have separated you from your God; And your sins have hidden His face from you, So that He will not hear.

He also doesn't promise to fulfill prayer requests that are out of whack with His will.

James 4:3
3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.

1 John 5:14-15
14 Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.
15 And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.

And sometimes we don't recognize His answers to our prayers because we aren't expecting His answers to arrive in the way that they do.

So, why did God make you in the first place? Did He make you so that you could just live as you please, satisfying and gratifying yourself as much as possible? No. He made you to know Him,

Philippians 3:10-11
10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death,
11 if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

John 10:14
14 I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own.

John 17:3
3 And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

Ephesians 3:17-19
17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height--
19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

and in knowing Him, to love Him,

1 John 4:16-19
16 And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.
17 Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world.
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.
19 We love Him because He first loved us.

and in loving Him, to live in a way that glorifies Him.

Matthew 5:16
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

1 Corinthians 10:31
31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Romans 15:5-6
5 Now may the God of patience and comfort grant you to be like-minded toward one another, according to Christ Jesus,
6 that you may with one mind and one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 6:20
20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.

This is what God made you for. And when you live in the way God made for you to live, there is fulfillment, and joy and peace that you can't find in any other kind of living. It stands to reason, then, that your miserable experience as a Christian so far is the experience of one who is not actually walking rightly with Him, living according to His purposes. I don't point this out to be critical and unpleasant but to expose the fact that your experience of God is not the experience God promises to those who walk with Him His way. No, God's promises to His children are promises of rest (Matthew 11:28), spiritual abundance (John 10:10), and the peaceable fruit of righteousness (Galatians 5:22; Hebrews 12:11).

I look around and the people who don’t follow god seem to be blessed financially and in other areas and they have so much fun like why does everyone else around me seem to have such great lives even other Christians and I’m here struggling.

I was talking yesterday with a young man fresh out of prison. He was saying much the same thing you are. Until fairly recently, he was deep into gang stuff - drugs, violence, sex - but found it empty, and deeply dissatisfying, and destructive. While in prison, he came to faith in Christ and now wants to walk with God. But, it costs to live God's way. His gang buddies don't understand what's happened to him and have rejected him. He's finding it really hard to find a job since he hasn't developed employable skills. The momentum of his old, godless, sin-filled habits presses strongly against him. He's seeing his former comrades in crime doing well and he's wondering if he's made a mistake in choosing to follow Christ. I urged him to take God's eternal view of life and to remember that the short time he lives on this globe is a fraction of a fraction of the blink of an eye in the context of the eternity that is yet to come. Will he make Esau's choice and give up a great future inheritance in order to satisfy a present desire or need? This was the question I put to him and I would put to you. Jesus said,

Matthew 16:24-26
24 ..."If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brendan3248

Nov 6, 2018
Kempton Park
✟10,443.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is a song with the following lyrics: "Though none go with me, still I will follow." I guess what I mean by that is that when you gave your life to Jesus, you made a promise. You chose to follow Him no matter what; no matter the consequences, and no matter the cost. I follow Jesus because without Him I am nothing. Let me tell you a little about my situation. Before I followed Jesus I was a sinner. I did things that to this day I can't even speak about. I lost one of my best friends because of what I did. I hurt her in so many ways, and she deserved none of it. Now she doesn't want anything to do with me. I fell into sins such as lust, I watched inappropriate content, I fantasised about women 20 years older than me, and I did many more things. That was until I heard God speak to me through a local pastor here in town, and what that pastor said changed my life forever. Now what he said isn't the important part, but the choice I made that day is. That day I chose to follow Jesus, and I will admit that my life wasn't magicly perfect after that, and I have stumbled a few times, but everytime I did, Jesus came running to save me again, and again, and again. Following Jesus is all about having faith, and love, because those two go hand in hand. Go read 1 Kor. 13 v. 2 if you don't believe me. But that is what following Jesus is all about. It comes down to the two greatest commandments ever laid down: 1. Love the Lord with all your heart, mind boddy and soul. And 2: Love your neighbour as you love yourself. So you just have to have faith. God is working in your life, you may not see that now, but when you least expect it, He will reveal His works in your life as He did for me. Remember this, God is faithful, now and always. Just keep praying and keep the faith. My prayers are with you.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Carolmariev11

May 27, 2019
Spring Hill
✟8,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for taking the time to respond! I am new to this forum and getting a bit confused at who is answering whom! It seems to me that as I have aged, (I am now 72) I have forgotten things that I have learned and walked out and helped others to understand.( I came to know the Lord when I was 30) I am praying that the Lord will still be able to use me anyway and help me to remember. I know that I am nothing but a sinner saved by the Blood of the Lamb. I am just going to put my trust in Him and pray that He uses me again. I want to walk again in the Fruit of the Spirit especially Love, Peace and joy!! Thank all of you that have taken the time to respond to my message.:crossrc::angel::amen:

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Any advice

What do you consider fun? Christians can have fun, but people have different ideas of what that is.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I want to be a Christian, I want to serve God and lead others to the grace of God but I also want earthly riches because I feel like being wealthy and having cool stuff will elevate my self esteem.

I don't think it will help to be wealthy. What helps is doing everything you can to help the less fortunate and they are everywhere!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank you for taking the time to respond! I am new to this forum and getting a bit confused at who is answering whom! It seems to me that as I have aged, (I am now 72) I have forgotten things that I have learned and walked out and helped others to understand.( I came to know the Lord when I was 30) I am praying that the Lord will still be able to use me anyway and help me to remember. I know that I am nothing but a sinner saved by the Blood of the Lamb. I am just going to put my trust in Him and pray that He uses me again. I want to walk again in the Fruit of the Spirit especially Love, Peace and joy!! Thank all of you that have taken the time to respond to my message.:crossrc::angel::amen:

If another clicks on "reply," we can tell to whom they are responding. Otherwise we aren't sure.

• Prayers
Reactions: Carolmariev11
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Christian help-us-to-help-each-other-lord.jpg

:groupray: :)

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I guess that makes sense! This is a little confusing for a newbie :relaxed::smile:

I'm an oldie. Sometimes I'm confused, too. LOL. But another trick I learned is to see if the post right before is what they are talking about.

BTW, I'm a horrible typist so I often find my mistakes the next day and edit my posts.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to be a Christian, I want to serve God and lead others to the grace of God but I also want earthly riches because I feel like being wealthy and having cool stuff will elevate my self esteem.

"No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money. Matthew 6:24

Son, worldly riches are fleeting. Off course, you will need money to pay your bills. But don't make it a matter of pride and prestige for you.

I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined by fire so that you may become rich, white garments so that you may be clothed and your shameful nakedness not exposed, and salve to anoint your eyes so that you may see.
Revelation 3:18

That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perishes, though it be tried with fire, might be found to praise and honor and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: 1 Peter 1:7

Upvote 0