Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
"The leading theory recently has been that sulfur from the asteroid's impact—or soot from global wildfires it sparked—blocked out the sky and plunged the world into a long, dark winter, killing all but the lucky few.

However research published Monday based on particles found at a key fossil site reasserted an earlier hypothesis: that the impact winter was caused by dust kicked up by the asteroid.

Fine silicate dust from pulverized rock would have stayed in the atmosphere for 15 years, dropping global temperatures by up to 15 degrees Celsius, researchers said in a study in the journal Nature Geoscience."
Asteroid dust caused 15-year winter that killed dinosaurs: study

Here's the detailed study:
Chicxulub impact winter sustained by fine silicate dust

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fun thing about that is if it didn't happen and clear out so many ecological niches, then the rapid further evolution and rise of mammals would not have been nearly so profound. The impact was of course just right. Not too big, not too small.

• Agree
Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,038.00
Faith
Atheist
Fun thing about that is if it didn't happen and clear out so many ecological niches, then the rapid further evolution and rise of mammals would not have been nearly so profound. The impact was of course just right. Not too big, not too small.
The impact was what the impact was. The results were what the results were.

If things had been different, they'd be different.

• Agree
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
The impact was what the impact was. The results were what the results were.

If things had been different, they'd be different.
Different, yes. I don't have to jump far to see that humanity would not be here.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Different, yes. I don't have to jump far to see that humanity would not be here.

(Cue sound of non-human animals breaking out in thunderous applause)

1698704472656.png

• Haha
Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,335.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Like fine tuning eh?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like fine tuning eh?
While the presumably random large asteroid (or comet) of 66M years ago was 'just right', I hear you that you are raising instead the broader question of perfect fine tuning in general.

To which one should only respond: "Yes, of course" -- it's simply the observer effect of the anthropic principle: we are naturally the outcome of this particular Universe, etc.

(for those interested, "anthropic principle" has of course a wiki entry, and as usual the summary intro paragraph is adequate)

It's not possible to conclude from this fact of the perfection of this Universe/Earth for us as a species of life that either that God does or does not exist, of course. (if that's not already clear, just think on it a minute more carefully)

God would not be so incompetent as to allow such a easy way (merely observing the fact of Him existing) to allow a go-around, an avoiding of first responding or already embracing (as He requires) what Christ taught -- His teachings as the particular way, the doorway to salvation.... So, we will always have no conclusive evidence either way about God existing....until we listen to Christ and embrace/accept/want to have the particular way that Christ taught (God's "way") -- to 'believe' in Him (to 'believe' someone means we believe in what they are saying....).

Christ taught that we should love all people around us, not only some we preferred... He taught us that only God has this perfection, and we need it, and though we cannot do this on our own, with God we can become as we should be, through His Way. Which Christ Himself is that Way.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,335.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
While the presumably random large asteroid (or comet) of 66M years ago was 'just right', I hear you that you are raising instead the broader question of perfect fine tuning in general.

To which one should only respond: "Yes, of course" -- it's simply the observer effect of the anthropic principle: we are naturally the outcome of this particular Universe, etc.

(for those interested, "anthropic principle" has of course a wiki entry, and as usual the summary intro paragraph is adequate)

It's not possible to conclude from this fact of the perfection of this Universe/Earth for us as a species of life that either that God does or does not exist, of course. (if that's not already clear, just think on it a minute more carefully)

God would not be so incompetent as to allow such a easy way (merely observing the fact of Him existing) to allow a go-around, an avoiding of first responding or already embracing (as He requires) what Christ taught -- His teachings as the particular way, the doorway to salvation.... So, we will always have no conclusive evidence either way about God existing....until we listen to Christ and embrace/accept/want to have the particular way that Christ taught (God's "way") -- to 'believe' in Him (to 'believe' someone means we believe in what they are saying....).

Christ taught that we should love all people around us, not only some we preferred... He taught us that only God has this perfection, and we need it, and though we cannot do this on our own, with God we can become as we should be, through His Way. Which Christ Himself is that Way.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
From an atheist pov the parts about God
don't make for a discussion.

However, the "perfection...for us" just doesn't
match the reality, no more than the human body
itself is in any sense perfect.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
However, the "perfection...for us" just doesn't
match the reality, no more than the human body
itself is in any sense perfect.
You agree on that with the scriptures of the Bible generally -- which very many places and times point out and show in examples of humans being wrong and imperfect, even those who are remarkable in their faith and following of God: also stumbling and doing wrongs.

You could say that human's imperfection in consistently doing good and what's best is a fact that is one of the three most emphasized themes of the Bible.

That even for those doing really well, they still will sometimes do wrongs (as you can see in any human life of any individual).

So, you are agreeing with the Bible on that one. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,335.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
You agree on that with the scriptures of the Bible generally -- which very many places and times point out and show in examples of humans being wrong and imperfect, even those who are remarkable in their faith and following of God: also stumbling and doing wrongs.

You could say that human's imperfection in consistently doing good and what's best is a fact that is one of the three most emphasized themes of the Bible.

That even for those doing really well, they still will sometimes do wrongs (as you can see in any human life of any individual).

So, you are agreeing with the Bible on that one. :)
Being as I am a disagreeable person, I'm not
so much agreeing with the Bible as to say the
Bible is in tune with what is well known to all, in this case.

But what I said was more about how far the earth is
from perfect or in any sense optimum for human life.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being as I am a disagreeable person, I'm not
so much agreeing with the Bible as to say the
Bible is in tune with what is well known to all, in this case.

But what I said was more about how far the earth is
from perfect or in any sense optimum for human life.

You mean the million ways we can die? Yes, indeed we are in temporary bodies here, and the Earth has plenty of dangers for the mortal human body. Which is also designed to wear out even if you make it through the gauntlet of other dangers -- designed to decline and die by exhausting its telomeres for one way.

This is only a temporary place for us, a place of learning and choice.

You and I are here in this mortal life to choose what we ultimately want as our highest value, who we aim to become. For many, they might choose only temporary pleasures here, and done... But some choose a path where they can at times sacrifice and suffer for the good of others.

Upvote 0