United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello!

I'm Southern Baptist, but I have been exploring different denominations within Protestantism. I have been considering Assemblies of God.

There is an Assembly of God church near where I live and I have a few questions.

- I believe in eternal security while the AoG teaches conditional security. Is my view incompatible with the denomination's stance. I know they are Arminian? I don't think Arminians were in unanimous agreement on eternal security and the preservance of the saints. I am also undecided on whether I agree more with Arminianism or Calvinism.

- I am a complementarian in ministry, meaning I think only men can be pastors and deacons. However, I don't have strong feelings either way. Are there congregations that practice complementarianism?

- Wjat should I expect at a typical AoG service? I know they are Pentecostal, but the AoG seems more orderly. How does it differ from other Pentecostal denominations in worship?

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello!

I'm Southern Baptist, but I have been exploring different denominations within Protestantism. I have been considering Assemblies of God.

There is an Assembly of God church near where I live and I have a few questions.

- I believe in eternal security while the AoG teaches conditional security. Is my view incompatible with the denomination's stance. I know they are Arminian? I don't think Arminians were in unanimous agreement on eternal security and the preservance of the saints. I am also undecided on whether I agree more with Arminianism or Calvinism.

- I am a complementarian in ministry, meaning I think only men can be pastors and deacons. However, I don't have strong feelings either way. Are there congregations that practice complementarianism?

- Wjat should I expect at a typical AoG service? I know they are Pentecostal, but the AoG seems more orderly. How does it differ from other Pentecostal denominations in worship?

This happens to be the transition I took 'FP'. The switch which went surprisingly easier than what I had anticipated. Certain anxieties could be accurately realized, corrected, with such a visit as QB suggested.

We love people, Jesus and the Holy Spirit, and what it is that pleases Him. Fundamentally? Maybe we could speak at some later time as I would let you draw your own conclusions at this time. Peace, and God bless!

Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello!

Hello 'FaithfulPilgrim'! Was wondering what if anything became of you and that AOG Church?

Incidentally, that last question was a good one. Although I do and have run into some hard-nosed Pentecostals, I have never experienced an un-friendly AOG Church. In fact, our pastor used to make a infrequent point to put on a happy face.

The recent thread, "Apostles Agree on the Prophetess" deals a little with your "complementarianism".

God bless!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do any AoG churches praise the lord in the dance? I think they use to but stopped some time ago.
That always seemed to be an iffy topic in the A/G I attended in jr high school as well as the one my wife grew up in. Some believed that dancing before the Lord was good and ok, while others believed that all dancing was inherently sinful.

My daughter in law attends an A/G in the Norfolk VA area (where my BIL has attended for about 30 years). She grew up from infancy in a Messianic congregation where liturgical dancing is commonplace. (and as a young adult she often took part) So she has become a one-person dance team there.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
'David danced before the LORD'.
Indeed. And that is justification enough for me.

But what do you say to the old Holiness folk that insist that all dancing is inherently sinful?

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Indeed. And that is justification enough for me.

But what do you say to the old Holiness folk that insist that all dancing is inherently sinful?
'Dancing before the LORD' is not sinful. It is a Scriptural way of praising God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Do any AoG churches praise the lord in the dance? I think they use to but stopped some time ago.
It varies in the AOG from my exp. Where it is seen mostly and happily received is the AOG mega-church. Once you start visiting the smaller churches, unless it is frequently voiced and lauded like that old AOG song; “I will dance like David danced”, I have reason to believe it would be thought disorderly.

I’m just giving you my gut impression of what I’ve seen, okay, for some Pentecostals believe so heavily in it during praise, it really has to be experienced to get a first-hand look at the enormous and infectious appeal.

This is truly an element of praise far untapped that would serve to refresh the saints. Apparently, we think quietness at all times is more spiritual than on occasion glorifying God in our bodies in this manner.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is truly an element of praise far untapped that would serve to refresh the saints.
I agree.
Apparently, we think quietness at all times is more spiritual than on occasion glorifying God in our bodies in this manner.
I think that is a concession to the cessationists.

• Agree
Reactions: PollyJetix
Upvote 0

Geralt

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2016
GB
Visit site
✟67,802.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
- Yes they are Arminian. It is also decisional regeneration -> which eventually translates to conditional security..and a subtle gospel of works (though they would not admit it). View of God is not Classical Theism but mostly Open Theism emphasizing on free will/choice .

- Yes in many of their churches, men & women are involved in pastoral ministry or eldership.

- Loud music, hands raised, speaking (or babbling) in tongues. Mostly organized in structure, pastors have a big say on authority (usually triangular in church structure) but can be booted out by congregation and elders if found with any issues.

- One thing you should know is the focus on evangelism and tithing in many preaching sermons. Extra biblical revelation in the form of "spirit told me" or "God told me" experiences are also acknowledge. Sunday school classes are mostly lacking in many churches. If you have been long enough in the christian faith you wont find strong theological teachings in the AG churches. But they try to offset it externally usually in nice & modern church atmosphere, contemporary music, live band, lead singers, etc..

Hello!

Upvote 0

jesse67

Mar 15, 2017
Portland, oregon
✟18,308.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It varies in the AOG from my exp. Where it is seen mostly and happily received is the AOG mega-church. Once you start visiting the smaller churches, unless it is frequently voiced and lauded like that old AOG song; “I will dance like David danced”, I have reason to believe it would be thought disorderly.

I’m just giving you my gut impression of what I’ve seen, okay, for some Pentecostals believe so heavily in it during praise, it really has to be experienced to get a first-hand look at the enormous and infectious appeal.

This is truly an element of praise far untapped that would serve to refresh the saints. Apparently, we think quietness at all times is more spiritual than on occasion glorifying God in our bodies in this manner.
;my view is that stoicism pervades all churches , some more so than others, and dancing is supremely against stoicism. Even churches that dance, dance stoically. They dance like they are wearing a straight jacket. No bending,, no whriling, no twisting, no raising hands, no leaping, no shouting, no laughing in the spirit, just stoicism in the dance. 99.9999999 percent of the people who praise the Lord in the dance just do a little shuffle. It is extremely rare to see anyone praise the Lord in the dance with abandonent. And the reason stoicism pervades the church is because it prevents the church from getting closer to God, in my opinion. Sure everyone would say that they want to be closer to God in word, but not in deed. When one feels the love of god flowing through them the love of this world fades away.People have their loves in life, worldly loves that cause them to love stoicism in the church and view it as being godly. and too, those that would open up fully in dance praise are stopped by the vast majority who love stoicism in the church, but of course they don't love stoicism at a foot ball game., just in the church. Ever notice how people get so happy when the church service is over, and big smiles come on their previously door faces? that's why.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I attend an AOG church and there is a good Pentecostal theological foundation taught. Some come to the AOG/Pentecostal forum to disagree,but there is so much to agree with and to fellowship.

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If you have been long enough in the christian faith you wont find strong theological teachings in the AG churches.
If you look hard enough you can find the oversight leading any Church by a thread. Have you asked anyone to agree with you in prayer for them when you spot it?

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
;my view is that stoicism pervades all churches , some more so than others, and dancing is supremely against stoicism. Even churches that dance, dance stoically. They dance like they are wearing a straight jacket. No bending,, no whriling, no twisting, no raising hands, no leaping, no shouting, no laughing in the spirit, just stoicism in the dance. 99.9999999 percent of the people who praise the Lord in the dance just do a little shuffle. It is extremely rare to see anyone praise the Lord in the dance with abandonent. And the reason stoicism pervades the church is because it prevents the church from getting closer to God, in my opinion. Sure everyone would say that they want to be closer to God in word, but not in deed. When one feels the love of god flowing through them the love of this world fades away.People have their loves in life, worldly loves that cause them to love stoicism in the church and view it as being godly. and too, those that would open up fully in dance praise are stopped by the vast majority who love stoicism in the church, but of course they don't love stoicism at a foot ball game., just in the church. Ever notice how people get so happy when the church service is over, and big smiles come on their previously door faces? that's why.
I don't guess you have been to too many Apostolic Faith meetings then have you?

Shenanigans? That would be for God to decide. He knows the source of thought and when to bless it. Leading into praise is something not for the faint of heart, and doubt to question performance is less than performance that leads merely for performance sake!

I once attended a Church where we had a well-known/gifted evangelist who was set to speak. This brought many new faces. One gentleman's visit may have been quite deliberate as his dance was an art form, fluid to no end and brightened the sanctuary I can tell you that. Now after the service let out, the Lord brought me by his vehicle just as he was boarding and I noticed he was from out of state by at least 100-mi. I don't scoff at this, what a waist of time. But at the same time I can understand why some folks think this is indecent; because they were raised a certain way to praise God, well Hallelujah there too, neither do I scoff at that. Whether motionless praise, or exuberance is before us, we build on all fronts to all stripes for their benefit and keep a distance on freewill or formality constraints.

Upvote 0

jesse67

Mar 15, 2017
Portland, oregon
✟18,308.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I don't guess you have been to too many Apostolic Faith meetings then have you?

Shenanigans? That would be for God to decide. He knows the source of thought and when to bless it. Leading into praise is something not for the faint of heart, and doubt to question performance is less than performance that leads merely for performance sake!

I once attended a Church where we had a well-known/gifted evangelist who was set to speak. This brought many new faces. One gentleman's visit may have been quite deliberate as his dance was an art form, fluid to no end and brightened the sanctuary I can tell you that. Now after the service let out, the Lord brought me by his vehicle just as he was boarding and I noticed he was from out of state by at least 100-mi. I don't scoff at this, what a waist of time. But at the same time I can understand why some folks think this is indecent; because they were raised a certain way to praise God, well Hallelujah there too, neither do I scoff at that. Whether motionless praise, or exuberance is before us, we build on all fronts to all stripes for their benefit and keep a distance on freewill or formality constraints.
I don't consider cooreographed dancing to be praise to God.In my opinion, praise is like bowing down to the Lord in that it is only effective if done in the spirit and in truth. Singing praise, when not in the spirit, isn't praising god, nor is dancing. Scripture says they that prostrate before me must prostrate before me in spirit. And through experience, I've found that the same applies to praise.
I went to a church affiliated with the AoG, but I've never been in an AoG church.
Shenanigans, indecent? Most churches that do allow dancing have the caveat that praising the Lord in the dance can only be done in the spirit, which is their way of shutting down anyone who dares to try praising the Lord in the dance. The result is that in those churches there are only one or two individuals that ever praise the Lord in the dance, because they are considered acceptable by the others, and because all the do is a little shuffle for a few seconds.
there are tons of Michaels in the church but very few Davids when it comes to praising the Lord in the dance.

Upvote 0