Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Title is pretty self-explanatory. Ask an atheist (not just me obviously but any atheist that wishes to engage within the thread) about anything. I will direct you to this thread (What does an atheist want you (a Christian) to know?) to give you a little bit of insight into what I might want you to know (from my perspective).

But in general, ask whatever comes to your mind. Want to know what shows and movies we like and/or dislike? Or what an atheist believes about (insert subject here)? Ask away!

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When you consider human consciousness (or at least the version of it you're directly familiar with from your own experience), what does it seem to you to be made of? Can it be described in terms of components and factors, or what? Do you think consciousness is unique to humans or unique to what we recognize as living organisms?

Upvote 0

TBDude65

Fossil Finder (TM)
Dec 26, 2016
Tennessee
✟26,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When you consider human consciousness (or at least the version of it you're directly familiar with from your own experience), what does it seem to you to be made of? Can it be described in terms of components and factors, or what? Do you think consciousness is unique to humans or unique to what we recognize as living organisms?

Consciousness is an emergent property of a brain. Organisms with brains are conscious of their environment, even if they have limited cognitive function. Organisms without brains are not conscious or thinking entities. Plants don't think, nor do bacteria. They react to their environment in a much simpler way.

Consciousness isn't made of anything. It isn't an independent property of a brain, so it makes no sense to discuss it in parts because it has no parts or components.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Consciousness is an emergent property of a brain. Organisms with brains are conscious of their environment, even if they have limited cognitive function. Organisms without brains are not conscious or thinking entities. Plants don't think, nor do bacteria. They react to their environment in a much simpler way.

Consciousness isn't made of anything. It isn't an independent property of a brain, so it makes no sense to discuss it in parts because it has no parts or components.
So is it a binary choice? Can you imagine an organism with a "proto-brain," and if so, what features of the would-be brain make it more than a non-brain but less than a brain?

And if it's an emergent property of a brain, would it make sense to just ask about component functions of the brain in place of the original question?

Upvote 0

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Why would they lock the thread?
this kind of thread usually does get locked, heck I've even made one. Something about ask a [insert religion/ lack of one here] being an attempt to convert people. which is bad I find this kind of thread is necessary to open up lines of dioluge you don't get time to talk about, in other discussions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TBDude65

Fossil Finder (TM)
Dec 26, 2016
Tennessee
✟26,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So is it a binary choice? Can you imagine an organism with a "proto-brain," and if so, what features of the would-be brain make it more than a non-brain but less than a brain?

And if it's an emergent property of a brain, would it make sense to just ask about component functions of the brain in place of the original question?

We don't need to imagine organisms with a "prototype-brain," we can look at the animal kingdom and the diversity of brains and neural networks that exist.

The brain is an interesting organ, and I wish I were knowledgable enough to answer specific questions about how it functions and/or how different components and regions of it work.

Upvote 0

TBDude65

Fossil Finder (TM)
Dec 26, 2016
Tennessee
✟26,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you like the show the Big Bang Theory?
Not at all. I have only ever watched a few episodes but I do not tend to like dumb shows about smart people.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We don't need to imagine organisms with a "prototype-brain," we can look at the animal kingdom and the diversity of brains and neural networks that exist.

The brain is an interesting organ, and I wish I were knowledgable enough to answer specific questions about how it functions and/or how different components and regions of it work.
Sorry, I just took the terms of your previous post - there are organisms with brains and those without - as a suggestion that it was an all-or-nothing thing.

I have other questions, but will let the late arrivals get some in first.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TBDude65

Fossil Finder (TM)
Dec 26, 2016
Tennessee
✟26,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Sorry, I just took the terms of your previous post - there are organisms with brains and those without - as a suggestion that it was an all-or-nothing thing.

I have other questions, but will let the late arrivals get some in first.
I don't understand the first comment. There are indeed animals with brains, and animals without brains. Some animals don't have a neural network that is complex enough to qualify as a brain. A brain is an organ and not all animals (or living organisms) have the same organs.

Upvote 0

TBDude65

Fossil Finder (TM)
Dec 26, 2016
Tennessee
✟26,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Okay, I can't help it!

Do you think there's a rock-bottom floor for human dignity? That is, do you think certain things are beneath human dignity, regardless of the circumstances?

Human dignity is a subjective thing. So what some people see as the "rock-bottom" need not be what others would define it as. So I don't think there is any objective "rock-bottom" to "human dignity."

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Human dignity is a subjective thing. So what some people see as the "rock-bottom" need not be what others would define it as. So I don't think there is any objective "rock-bottom" to "human dignity."
Sure, but the question was "Do YOU think..."

Upvote 0

TBDude65

Fossil Finder (TM)
Dec 26, 2016
Tennessee
✟26,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Sure, but the question was "Do YOU think..."
Well, like I said in the post: So I don't think there is any objective "rock-bottom" to "human dignity."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.