Ask an Atheist (yes, another "ask me" thread)

FSTDT

Yahweh
Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
✟1,390.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I thought the "Ask me a Question" and "Ask an Agnostic" threads were clever, so I decided to put myself in the spotlight in being the resident atheist spokesperson. (Probably, I'll be speaking more for myself than for atheists in general.)

I make a single request: if anyone wants to answer questions, they can start their own vain "ask me" thread as well, but otherwise leave the chore answering questions to me :holy:

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
FSTDT said:
I thought the "Ask me a Question" and "Ask an Agnostic" threads were clever, so I decided to put myself in the spotlight in being the resident atheist spokesperson. (Probably, I'll be speaking more for myself than for atheists in general.)

I make a single request: if anyone wants to answer questions, they can start their own vain "ask me" thread as well, but otherwise leave the chore answering questions to me :holy:

How many atheists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Upvote 0

FSTDT

Yahweh
Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
✟1,390.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Spinrad,
Spinrad said:
Why are you not as smart as I am, not as attractive as I am and generally not as valuable as a human and a part of the cosmos as I am?

Don't bother anwering. Your opinions and ideas do not interest me.
*squeezes a lemon into your eye*

thirstforknowledge,
thirstforknowledge said:
How many atheists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. Why bother when the rest of the world will exclaim our capturing the sun in such a tiny container is first a miracle, then demand we release the sun at once, then burn us for witchcraft.

Upvote 0

Latreia

Gone
Jun 13, 2005
✟24,734.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Adiya said:
That one in your profile is really beautiful Latreia.

I was really lucky in finding that work of art. It is a work by the French artist,
William-Adolphe Bougereau, whose art was not all Christian. But this paiinting is entitled: "Song of the Angels" This artist's name was mentioned in that gorgeous film, "The Age of Innocence"

http://ickykat.tripod.com/song.html

Upvote 0

FSTDT

Yahweh
Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
✟1,390.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Latreia,
Latreia said:
Is it possible for an atheists, like you, to appreciate the beautiful art inspired by Christianity in music, painting, and architecture by masters?
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: There has only been one time when the origin of a painting, despite how aesthetically admirable it is and its enviable attention to detail, really upset me, and that was when I came across a portrait of Nazi soldier in full regalia. The ideas symbolized behind that particular painting were so horrific that the painting could not be appreciated. But, as far as Christian works go, I dont get that impression at all, and in fact I'd go as far to say that much of the great artists and writers are deeply indebted to Christianity for inspiration.

Much of the great poetry by Milton, Coleridge, Wordsworth, Shakespeare, and many great works including Moby Dick, Canterbury Tales, The Brothers Karamazov, Legends of Kind Arthur and the Holy Grail, stand alone as masterpieces, but you can appreciate the stories much more once you understand the biblical allusions contained in them.

And there is much artwork that can be appreciated. A single story from Genesis in which an Angel (or God) wrestles with Jacob in the form of a man has inspired great painters like Rembrandt, Doré, Gauguin, Delacroix, among others. And of course, the Last Supper has innumerable depictions, most famously by Di Vinci.

On Christian music, I find modern incarnations of "Christian Rap" and "Christian Rock" unlistenable (I blame overcommecialization and CMT), and I generally find hymns to be seasonal. But in general, the Jazz era of the 1950s owes so much to Christian tradition. I'm not so sure about Classical music as I'm too tone deaf to enjoy it (and there is a general consensus that you have to understand the lives of the composers, the time which they wrote, and who they were writing for in order to say that it is a genuinely good piece of music - I dont have any of that, so I withhold my opinion).

And finally, I find the architecture to be beautiful, I have several buildings in mind but I dont recall their names. I'm sure I dont need to know their names, but only to describe the very elaborate murals painted along the domed ceilings. And of course, who can not appreciate the Christian-derived style called "Gothic" that gave rise to almond-shaped arches and elaborate stain-glass artwork of the most famous cathedrals (lots of pictures of famous Gothic cathedrals here: http://www.beloit.edu/~arthist/historyofart/gothic/gothic.htm).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Latreia

Gone
Jun 13, 2005
✟24,734.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, your reply assures me of the intellectual integrity of you as an atheist.

On Christian music: Actually, I meant Bach's Preludes and Fugues, and also Masses by Mozart, etc. Russian Choral music, Gregorian Chants, Handel's "Messiah" and certain hymns.

Architecture: Cathedrals and sculptures and statues of grace and serenity. The stained glass windows are marvels to me. Thanks, you may return to questions of dogma and theory......

Upvote 0

FSTDT

Yahweh
Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
✟1,390.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Latreia said:
Well, your reply assures me of the intellectual integrity of you as an atheist.
No problem. (I usually match the sincerity of my answers to the sincerity of the questions.)

On Christian music: Actually, I meant Bach's Preludes and Fugues, and also Masses by Mozart, etc. Russian Choral music, Gregorian Chants, Handel's "Messiah" and certain hymns.
For a while, I was worried that was so severely culture-deprived that I wouldnt be able to name more than 2 or 3 works by Christian writers - then I wrote my post and felt proud of it. And now, you've named at least half a dozen pieces of music which I'm only familiar with by name and not by experience, now I feel culture deprived again :blush:

Upvote 0

reg

Aug 24, 2005
under your bed!
✟21,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
FSTDT said:

im not sayin all atheist do this nor am i sayin that any of yall do this but:

why do some atheist wont admit that science things and stuff like the scientific method was found on Christian princibles

Upvote 0

Latreia

Gone
Jun 13, 2005
✟24,734.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nymphalidae said:
No. Being an atheist renders me inhuman.

Pardon me, I was not inquiring of you. But I cannot tell if you really mean this or indulging in satire.

You cannot be inhuman unless you are a cow.

Even a cow can tell whether a person is behaving in a cruel manner or just asking a simple question.

:help:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
reg said:
u know it is actually impossible to be a atheist?u know y? a atheist saids there is no god but to be sure u must have infinite intelligence and wisdom and if u do u r a god :D

Englif iz yur frend

Upvote 0