As Canada Prepares to Expand Assisted Suicide, Advocates Warn of Threat to Mentally Ill

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Canada first legalized assisted suicide in June 2016 for adults suffering from irreversibly deadly illnesses.

Mental health advocates and pro-life activists are expressing concerns over a possible expansion of Canada’s assisted suicide rules that would permit residents to seek fatal medical treatments even if they are not suffering from a fatal affliction.

Canada first legalized assisted suicide in June 2016 for adults suffering from irreversibly deadly illnesses. In 2021 the Canadian government said it would wait an additional two years to extend those services to mentally ill citizens to “study how MAiD [medical assistance in dying] on the basis of a mental illness can safely be provided.”

The government earlier this year extended that delay by another year. Canadians suffering from mental illnesses will be able to apply for assisted suicide by mid-March 2024.

The looming rule change has generated protracted debate in Canada, with critics arguing that the new directives will allow people to apply for and receive assisted suicide even as they may not be on the verge of death from a terminal illness.

Continued below.

Faith Love 50

I'm just a sinner saved by Grace
Nov 3, 2023
Roanoke
✟1,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello, I'll chime in, I do not agree with assisted death but then again, it's hard to say what is truly suffering in a terminal l illness but mental illness; it's difficult to deal for many people who are on medication and so forth. I think it's between the person and God to determine if it's the right decision.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello, I'll chime in, I do not agree with assisted death but then again, it's hard to say what is truly suffering in a terminal l illness but mental illness; it's difficult to deal for many people who are on medication and so forth. I think it's between the person and God to determine if it's the right decision.
We follow Church teaching here which means from conception to natural death.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0