Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The word "feminism" has been hijacked by so many groups to such an extent that now I think it means whatever each person thinks it means/wants it to mean.

On the one farther hand, it means demands for some type of feminine reparations at the expense of other people, often in a loud and crass way.

On the other farther hand, it simply means that a woman or girl's value (and vote) is equal to that of a man or boy, and all bear the 'expenses' of life evenly without lording one over the other.

I identify with the latter. I think your life's experiences determine where on the scale you fall. Some have been emotionally injured to the extent they need to climb higher than I did on that scale.

Others go so far that they are, to my opinion, irrational (spreading menstrual blood on your face for demonstration, for example, or demanding that the survival of live born babies are still subject to someone's choice).

I've suffered theological injuries which demanded I join that scale somewhere in order to assert that I have as much value as a man does, both in our general day-to-day as well as in our participation as members of Christ's body. Many hours of studying as I was recovering from my experiences gradually led to an "aha!" realization of how the concept of equal value falls together in the precious Word of God.

Being able to confidently know that I KNOW!! my Lord values the females in his church as much as anyone else was a burden lifted from my worldview and has resulted in such a joyful and peaceful phase of my journey. The relief and realization is hard to adequately describe.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On the other farther hand, it simply means that a woman or girl's value (and vote) is equal to that of a man or boy, and all bear the 'expenses' of life evenly without lording one over the other.
I know many that use that kind of a definition. That is what I call egalitarian.

To me, "feminism" is the women who want to rid the world of men altogether.

Reactions: Endeavourer
Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Anger can be a useful tool for having our voices heard, if it's rightfully directed. I feel that a lot of the time said anger is wrongly directed, which makes feminists as a whole just look bad. Otherwise it's justified. I mean, I get angry at classism and ableism since those directly affect me.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I know many that use that kind of a definition. That is what I call egalitarian.

We *definitely* have a different definition of feminism then. To me, feminism is, and has always been, about women and men being equal.

So why not just call it egalitarianism instead of feminism then? I've been super sick with fever the past couple of days, but for whatever reason in my demented state, this question kept coming to mind and I am thinking it may have to do with that if you take "female" out of the description, it just goes back to the male default, kind of like taking "black" out of Black Lives Matter.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I keep hearing this - but I've yet to run into someone that identifies as a feminist that truly wishes that men would just disappear (you know that feminism includes men as well.....right?).

I honestly think that's just a statement designed to discredit the voices of those that are speaking out against inequality.
We *definitely* have a different definition of feminism then. To me, feminism is, and has always been, about women and men being equal.

So why not just call it egalitarianism instead of feminism then? I've been super sick with fever the past couple of days, but for whatever reason in my demented state, this question kept coming to mind and I am thinking it may have to do with that if you take "female" out of the description, it just goes back to the male default, kind of like taking "black" out of Black Lives Matter.
I agree - that's a great point (and I hope you feel better soon).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I just saw this quote this morning (shared by a dear FB friend):

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law. If someone says, 'Oh, I’m not a feminist,' I ask, 'Why, what’s your problem?'” - Dale Spender​

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And the Scum manifesto is satire; and Clementine's tweet is generally understood to have been satirical also. (Given that she receives actual death and rape threats on a constant basis, I can understand her doing so, even though I might not have myself).

Really, Dave, we keep telling you, that kind of position has nothing to do with mainstream feminism. It's like judging Christianity by the Jonestown cult, or something.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Here's another example of what mainstream feminists are asking for:

Attachments

• PSX_20190310_094931.jpg
    PSX_20190310_094931.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums