Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Back when I did it in high school, I was developing pictures of politicians using very old equipment. I hated politicians might explain why I didn't like what I was doing. I hated it when the image came out and I would see a politician.

I was a little kid in the 80's. Thumbs in pictures...hmm.. How did that happen??o_O:D
I would accidentally have my thumb in the way of the aperture, so every picture I had developed had my thumb in the corner. I'm 37, you may not know about the old disposable cameras we used to use back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. We would drop them off at drugstores to get the film developed.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I would accidentally have my thumb in the way of the aperture, so every picture I had developed had my thumb in the corner. I'm 37, you may not know about the old disposable cameras we used to use back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. We would drop them off at drugstores to get the film developed.

I could see why. Those cameras are flat, easy to get the fingers on the lens. I used an old 70's Pentax up to the late 90's. Had a good sized lens pretty impossible to get the fingers across. Anyway, you're only two years older than me. I'm definitely missing the old times!

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I do like it. It seems like I've seen it before, but did not remember the artist.
Childe Hassam did a number of flag paintings; it kind of fits in with Impressionism and the projection of nationalism after World War One, with the different countries' flags.

So do you do painting yourself?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, I'm not artistic. I can barely draw a stick figure. I just am a fan of art, I think I can attribute it to my mother and the fact that she read so many beautifully illustrated books to us when we were children.
A lot of memories there, I'm sure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, I'm not artistic. I can barely draw a stick figure. I just am a fan of art, I think I can attribute it to my mother and the fact that she read so many beautifully illustrated books to us when we were children.
PS: Sometimes simplicity is effective; "less is more":

<><

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're welcome! Do you have other favorite artists?
I love the Impressionists best, Mary Cassatt I'm fond of, as well as Monet and I like van Gogh, although he is Expressionist rather than an Impressionist. I love art in general, though. I like the photorealism of Rembrandt. I saw paintings by hom of faces that looked so real, you could almost touch the wrinkles. I remember being in college and first seeing David, and how much I like his paintings, too. I tend to like realism better than abstract art, but like it too. Who are your favorites?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I love the Impressionists best, Mary Cassatt I'm fond of, as well as Monet and I like van Gogh, although he is Expressionist rather than an Impressionist. I love art in general, though. I like the photorealism of Rembrandt. I saw paintings by hom of faces that looked so real, you could almost touch the wrinkles. I remember being in college and first seeing David, and how much I like his paintings, too. I tend to like realism better than abstract art, but like it too. Who are your favorites?
Hi; so how would you see the difference between Impressionism and Expressionism? :)

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi; so how would you see the difference between Impressionism and Expressionism? :)
I think the main difference, to me, is the light. Impressionistic paintings play with light. They're similar movements, of course, but there seems to be more light in Impressionistic paintings. It's been a while since I've been in college, so I'm not really up on the academic aspect of art, I'm more of a lover of art than a student. I know Expressionism is expressing what the artist feels is there, rather than the actual realistic object or person. I think that's why van Gogh's self portrait is haunting, he's expressing his inner self and not just a realistic representation of how he looks. Impressionism is how the artist sees, what his impressions are and expressionism his how the artist feels about what he sees. I think that's the difference, but it's been a while since taking art history classes.
What is the difference between the two schools to you?

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think the main difference, to me, is the light. Impressionistic paintings play with light. They're similar movements, of course, but there seems to be more light in Impressionistic paintings. It's been a while since I've been in college, so I'm not really up on the academic aspect of art, I'm more of a lover of art than a student. I know Expressionism is expressing what the artist feels is there, rather than the actual realistic object or person. I think that's why van Gogh's self portrait is haunting, he's expressing his inner self and not just a realistic representation of how he looks. Impressionism is how the artist sees, what his impressions are and expressionism his how the artist feels about what he sees. I think that's the difference, but it's been a while since taking art history classes.
What is the difference between the two schools to you?
Sounds about right, I guess. Very interesting. Yes, with Expressionism it's already about the artist participating in putting on canvas what the object suggests to his or her feelings as much as being strictly representational. I seem to associate Kokoschka with Expressionism.

I guess there is a similar conversation among make up artists, really. Some will simply and subtly emphasize the colour and form of eyelids, lips, etc. Others will actually make thick lines the basis of what they do (thicker mascara, bolder lines around lips, etc.) If this makes sense?

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sounds about right, I guess. Very interesting. Yes, with Expressionism it's already about the artist participating in putting on canvas what the object suggests to his or her feelings as much as being strictly representational. I seem to associate Kokoschka with Expressionism.

I guess there is a similar conversation among make up artists, really. Some will simply and subtly emphasize the colour and form of eyelids, lips, etc. Others will actually make thick lines the basis of what they do (thicker mascara, bolder lines around lips, etc.) If this makes sense?
I don't know Kokoshka, I'll have to look him up. I must admit, I never thought of make-up artists as being on par with traditional painters and sculptors. I realize they have a great deal of skill, but I never thought of it as art, except for make-up artists for films and that sort of thing.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0