Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know Kokoshka, I'll have to look him up. I must admit, I never thought of make-up artists as being on par with traditional painters and sculptors. I realize they have a great deal of skill, but I never thought of it as art, except for make-up artists for films and that sort of thing.
Well, it's all subjective, of course. But I guess you could also say, musically, that if you are really into Impressionism, you'll probably like soft rock/easy listening/tone poems, etc. But if you already like Expressionism, you may also have learned to appreciate hard rock/heavy metal, etc. Some Christian bands have strong Biblical lyrics in hard rock.

But I guess it's all subjective, anyway, right?

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, it's all subjective, of course. But I guess you could also say, musically, that if you are really into Impressionism, you'll probably like soft rock/easy listening/tone poems, etc. But if you already like Expressionism, you may also have learned to appreciate hard rock/heavy metal, etc. Some Christian bands have strong Biblical lyrics in hard rock.

But I guess it's all subjective, anyway, right?
In a way, art is all subjective- as in what people like, but I think there is an objective aspect of art. The culture as a whole decides if something is worthy of the moniker of art and if something isn't. I think almost everyone agrees that a Picasso is art, even if they don't care for Picasso. But if I drew the same thing, NO one would think it's art- not even my mother.
I like a mix of soft rock and old hard rock, like Led Zeppelin. I prefer the old 70s rock to contemporary music. I don't really listen to Christian rock bands.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In a way, art is all subjective- as in what people like, but I think there is an objective aspect of art. The culture as a whole decides if something is worthy of the moniker of art and if something isn't. I think almost everyone agrees that a Picasso is art, even if they don't care for Picasso. But if I drew the same thing, NO one would think it's art- not even my mother.
I like a mix of soft rock and old hard rock, like Led Zeppelin. I prefer the old 70s rock to contemporary music. I don't really listen to Christian rock bands.
Oh so you are at least partly a hard rock person, also. I had kind of assumed - again, subjectively - that if you drew the line at Impressionism, you would probably have found hard rock 'a bridge too far' for you, so to speak. Again, I don't know, but I'm guessing that if you are happy to be known as a hard rock appreciating woman your artistic sensibilities could also in time learn to appreciate the art of tattoo portfolios; parlors welcome non committal enquiries including from those with no plans to get ink.

Seems that I thought wrongly that you drew the line at Impressionism and 'softer' forms of artistic realization.

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh so you are at least partly a hard rock person, also. I had kind of assumed - again, subjectively - that if you drew the line at Impressionism, you would probably have found hard rock 'a bridge too far' for you, so to speak. Again, I don't know, but I'm guessing that if you are happy to be known as a hard rock appreciating woman you artistic sensibilities could also in time learn to appreciate the art of tattoo portfolios; parlors welcome non committal enquiries including from those with no plans to get ink.

Seems that I thought wrongly that you drew the line at Impressionism and 'softer' forms of artistic realization.
Like many people, I have all sorts of different tastes, some of them conflicting. I love Victorian frou frou stuff, but hard rock, too. Are you a tattoo artist? I'm not into body art for myself, it's not my style. I'm very light skinned, and I think it would be a sin to mar my alabaster skin, lol! I don't think tattoos are necessarily unChristian, I just don't care for them on women.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Like many people, I have all sorts of different tastes, some of them conflicting. I love Victorian frou frou stuff, but hard rock, too. Are you a tattoo artist? I'm not into body art for myself, it's not my style. I'm very light skinned, and I think it would be a sin to mar my alabaster skin, lol! I don't think tattoos are necessarily unChristian, I just don't care for them on women.
No I'm not; but if there are moments when you are indeed a hard rock woman, I guess you'll realize that many hard rock artists would have piercings and tattoos.

Anyway, while I guess the artistic representation of the Victorian 'fainting waif' image of womanhood can be interesting and attractive to some ppl, even, it's good not to feel bound by it, I suppose.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
PS: I think some ppl would say that hard rock does something for them; and similarly some ppl would say that a tattoo - even a small one - does something for them; but I realize that it wouldn't be so with everyone; it doesn't necessarily correlate.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In a way, art is all subjective- as in what people like, but I think there is an objective aspect of art. The culture as a whole decides if something is worthy of the moniker of art and if something isn't.
PS: Interesting idea. Some art galleries show things which most ppl think are either very strange or not art at all.

I think some artists are very arrogant. Then, people who buy bad art but ignore good art might be arrogant or duped or both.

Maybe I'm arrogant, too, and don't know it. :scratch:

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No I'm not; but if there are moments when you are indeed a hard rock woman, I guess you'll realize that many hard rock artists would have piercings and tattoos.

Anyway, while I guess the artistic representation of the Victorian 'fainting waif' image of womanhood can be interesting and attractive to some ppl, even, it's good not to feel bound by it, I suppose.
It's a case of having lots of facets, whether I'm a diamond or costume jewelry is debatable, lol. I like retro 50s style, too.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's a case of having lots of facets, whether I'm a diamond or costume jewelry is debatable, lol. I like retro 50s style, too.
Oh well if you're more a 1950s style person, there was already rock & roll then but not so many women then got inked, which maybe explains it.

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
PS: Interesting idea. Some art galleries show things which most ppl think are either very strange or not art at all.

I think some artists are very arrogant. Then, people who buy bad art but ignore good art might be arrogant or duped or both.

Maybe I'm arrogant, too, and don't know it. :scratch:
I think we're all arrogant in one way or another. There are few truly humble souls. I know a few, but they are very rare individuals. There are some things I like, that other people would not consider art, and some things which are considered art that I dislike intensely. I don't buy into Dadaism much. Just looking at a urinal says nothing to me, and requires no talent at all. I think there are some creative people who think they have an insight that is not vouchsafed to the rest of us- and are therefore arrogant. But, even if they are given insights that the masses don't have, it is important to remember that the gift of insight was given by God. Nothing is given to yourself. I tend to have a problem with pride. I remember reading C. S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters in college. It means a lot to me because I was going through an intense phase of doubting Christianity, and the existence of God. The book helped me through this period. I remember that Lewis wrote how foolish it is to be proud about ANYTHING because any gift we have is given by God. Being proud of creativity, intelligence, or skill is just as foolish as being proud of your height. That stuck with me, and I try to remember this when I get too stuck on myself.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think we're all arrogant in one way or another. There are few truly humble souls. I know a few, but they are very rare individuals. There are some things I like, that other people would not consider art, and some things which are considered art that I dislike intensely. I don't buy into Dadaism much. Just looking at a urinal says nothing to me, and requires no talent at all. I think there are some creative people who think they have an insight that is not vouchsafed to the rest of us- and are therefore arrogant. But, even if they are given insights that the masses don't have, it is important to remember that the gift of insight was given by God. Nothing is given to yourself. I tend to have a problem with pride. I remember reading C. S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters in college. It means a lot to me because I was going through an intense phase of doubting Christianity, and the existence of God. The book helped me through this period. I remember that Lewis wrote how foolish it is to be proud about ANYTHING because any gift we have is given by God. Being proud of creativity, intelligence, or skill is just as foolish as being proud of your height. That stuck with me, and I try to remember this when I get too stuck on myself.
Interesting! I found the Screwtape Letters hard to read, actually.

I agree with you about Dadaism!

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interesting! I found the Screwtape Letters hard to read, actually.

I agree with you about Dadaism!
I get the whole idea behind Dadaism, the rejection of civilization and the absurdity of the world at the time of the 1930s, but I think more could be done than just looking at a urinal. It just doesn't seem like a lot of talent, to me.

Did you find it difficult because it is from the perspective of the demon?

• Informative
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I get the whole idea behind Dadaism, the rejection of civilization and the absurdity of the world at the time of the 1930s, but I think more could be done than just looking at a urinal. It just doesn't seem like a lot of talent, to me.

Did you find it difficult because it is from the perspective of the demon?
I found the book very cynical. When I am trying to mediate on God, I find excessive cynicism to be distorting rather than clarifying.

Mind you, I guess I can be cynical myself.

Actually, in the city of Limerick, Ireland, a toilet was installed as a piece of public art, according to a news report. Whereupon someone vandalized it, and the toilet was observed floating down the Shannon River. Whereupon the mayor of Limerick dryly made some sort of statement about the need to respect art. :scratch:

Frankly, tattoo artwork - and some of it is amazing - is far more wholesome, especially if it's faith based.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The toilet thing was pretty funny. Did no one make a limerick of it?
There once was a potty,
It got ruined and shoddy,
It went down the river,
And made the mayor quiver
For "art" they were all dotty.

It was cynical, but only because the demon was cynical. He was so sure mankind in general and the man they were trying to keep from getting saved in particular, were stupid and worthless. I remember liking that Lewis wrote that the demon could not understand what God even wanted with us, we are so below contempt. The cynicism of the demon is contrasted with the pure and unwavering and unconditional love of God. No matter how worthless the subject was, and how much he screwed up, God still wanted him. This was incomprehensible to Screwtape and Wormwood.
I loved it, it helped me come back to faith when I was going through a crisis, but everyone has their personal Ebenezers.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The toilet thing was pretty funny. Did no one make a limerick of it?
There once was a potty,
It got ruined and shoddy,
It went down the river,
And made the mayor quiver
For "art" they were all dotty.

It was cynical, but only because the demon was cynical. He was so sure mankind in general and the man they were trying to keep from getting saved in particular, were stupid and worthless. I remember liking that Lewis wrote that the demon could not understand what God even wanted with us, we are so below contempt. The cynicism of the demon is contrasted with the pure and unwavering and unconditional love of God. No matter how worthless the subject was, and how much he screwed up, God still wanted him. This was incomprehensible to Screwtape and Wormwood.
I loved it, it helped me come back to faith when I was going through a crisis, but everyone has their personal Ebenezers.
EBENEZER: 1 Samuel 7.12 indeed! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, it was a time in my life that I needed help, I was losing my faith, doubting my salvation, God, everything. Two things brought me out and back to faith: The Screwtape Letters and Dr. Vernon McGee, whom I had never heard before, teaching out of the book of Daniel. So, that's why I'm partial to Lewis' book.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it was a time in my life that I needed help, I was losing my faith, doubting my salvation, God, everything. Two things brought me out and back to faith: The Screwtape Letters and Dr. Vernon McGee, whom I had never heard before, teaching out of the book of Daniel. So, that's why I'm partial to Lewis' book.
Yes, Dr McGee wrote some good commentaries; in fact, a lot of it was in spoken ministry.

Some ppl are into art therapy; but there is nothing quite like the Word of God itself.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Being proud of creativity, intelligence, or skill is just as foolish as being proud of your height.
PS: I must tell you about a lady in church. My wife said to her, 'So you still wear your 6 inch heels, then.' The lady replied: '6 inches? these are 7 inches'.

While I guess some ppl are proud of their height, it does not follow that wearing 6 inch heels is wrong. (Or 7 inches, either!)

If this makes sense?

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
PS: I must tell you about a lady in church. My wife said to her, 'So you still wear your 6 inch heels, then.' The lady replied: '6 inches? these are 7 inches'.

While I guess some ppl are proud of their height, it does not follow that wearing 6 inch heels is wrong. (Or 7 inches, either!)

If this makes sense?
Not really, if she's wearing high heels, then she isn't biologically tall, so she couldn't be proud. Unless she is proud of her ability to walk in them, which anyone can learn to do with practice.
No, I don't think wearing high heels is wrong at all. I like them, I think they are pretty.

• Informative
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not really, if she's wearing high heels, then she isn't biologically tall, so she couldn't be proud. Unless she is proud of her ability to walk in them, which anyone can learn to do with practice.
No, I don't think wearing high heels is wrong at all.
Nor do I.

I like them, I think they are pretty.
So many women think the same as you. My wife doesn't now wear them as high as she used to.

In Toronto there is the Bata shoe museum. (I've never been to it.) But -and I'm no expert - I don't think 6- or 7- inch heels are going out of fashion any time soon, do you?

Upvote 0