Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
My take on the seven churches...

Ephesus - Apostolic
Smyrna - Martyr - Foxes book of Martyrs has ten Roman persecutions
Pergamos - Orthodox... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
Thyatira - Catholic - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
Sardis - Protestant - A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
Philadelphia - Wesleyism - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
Laodicea - Materialistic - Rich and increased with goods and have need of nothing?

Without Arminianism there is no Philadelphia revival... Just dry, Sardisean, John Calvin type stuff.

Upvote 0

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
wow 1 reply thank you , I guess its the default position, I think if the title was Calvinisim we would have at least 10 pages; its amazing how Arminisim gets a free pass while Calvinisim is demonized

I know right? If things were equal, we'd come in here like a bull in a china shop and start writing up a storm (read: a strawman) about Arminianism and lying about what it teaches, sorta like what some posters (some even on this very thread) do!

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,794.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I was brought up in a Baptist church who prayed for revival... And decades later... I look on their web site... And they are still praying for revival... It's the revival that never happened! All of the blame I lay on the Sardisan mindset.

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
good, bad, right ,wrong? discuss, I want to know what it is since its so hard to pin it down, every body seems to defend it even tho they say they are not one,, Calvinism seems to get all the bad press have atter

I think the Wikipedia article on Arminianism is pretty good.

I have more in common with "Classical" or "Reformation" Arminianism as expressed by Robert Picirilli in his book, Grace, Faith, and Free Will than with Wesleyan Arminianism. I also lean toward the "Corporate Election" concept.

I'm not sure Arminian perfectly describes my soteriology, and I'm not sure Arminians would necessarily want to accept me, but I'm fine with the label.

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Arminians don't defend Arminianism because for some reason they don't like admitting to being Arminians.

No, the problem is that actual communication is difficult because we differ on our definitions of some very basic terms and concepts, including but not necessarily limited to --

-- Total Depravity

-- Original Sin (in at least some cases)

-- Divine Sovereignty

-- What constitutes "works"

-- What constitutes "glory" w.r.t. God

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,432.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do not “defend” the concept of: salvation by doing some works, which some would define as being Arminianism.

I believe a person does not have to “do” something, but has to quit doing something (fighting against God), a person has to wimp out/ give up/ surrender but that is not “doing” anything for his/her salvation, but it does allow God the shower the person with unbelievable gifts.

Upvote 0

reformed ttL

slowly becoming less newbie
Dec 21, 2009
Canada
✟7,930.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
My take on the seven churches...

Ephesus - Apostolic
Laodicea - Materialistic - Rich and increased with goods and have need of nothing?

Without Arminianism there is no Philadelphia revival... Just dry, Sardisean, John Calvin type stuff.
no idea what this is about

Upvote 0

reformed ttL

Dec 21, 2009
Canada
✟7,930.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I do not “defend” the concept of: salvation by doing some works, which some would define as being Arminianism.

I believe a person does not have to “do” something, but has to quit doing something (fighting against God), a person has to wimp out/ give up/ surrender but that is not “doing” anything for his/her salvation, but it does allow God the shower the person with unbelievable gifts.
you mean ol neutral man just deciding to believe what he finds foolish and stupid? what about repenting and believing the gospel?

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How is this:

you mean ol neutral man just deciding to believe what he finds foolish and stupid? what about repenting and believing the gospel?

in any way a meaningful response to this:

I think this probably reflects the sort of basic difference in perceptions that makes real communication difficult.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,432.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You might want to read again the prodigal son story (Luke 15): Jesus could have used any word He wanted but describes the prodigal son as being “dead” (even when the Father new he was physically alive). While in this “dead” state the prodigal son on his own comes to his senses and turns to the father. So even in a dead state you can give up.

The soldier of satan that wimps out/ gives up/ surrenders is not joining God’s army, but at the point of his surrendering still feels God is his enemy (like any surrendering soldier), but surrendering does allow God to shower the soldier with unbelievable gifts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NorrinRadd

Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You might want to read again the prodigal son story (Luke 15): Jesus could have used any word He wanted but describes the prodigal son as being “dead” (even when the Father new he was physically alive). While in this “dead” state the prodigal son on his own comes to his senses and turns to the father. So even in a dead state you can give up.

The soldier of satan that wimps out/ gives up/ surrenders is not joining God’s army, but at the point of his surrendering still feels God is his enemy (like any surrendering soldier), but surrendering does allow God to shower the soldier with unbelievable gifts.

Sets the timer to see how long it takes for a Calvinist's head to explode over the notion of God being "allowed" to do something.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,794.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Sets the timer to see how long it takes for a Calvinist's head to explode over the notion of God being "allowed" to do something.

Who hath directed the Spirit of the Lord, or being his counsellor hath taught him? - Isaiah 40:13

And the Lord said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book. - Exodus 32:33

Let me alone, that I may destroy them, and blot out their name from under heaven: and I will make of thee a nation mightier and greater than they. - Deuteronomy 9:14

Add iniquity unto their iniquity: and let them not come into thy righteousness. Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous. - Psalm 69:27-29

And... As there are seven churches

Ephesus - Apostolic

Christ's message to the Calvinist...

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. - Revelation 3:5

God will do with the book of life and whatever else he wants to do as he wills it. It is totally out of the hands of man. Our best bet is in prayer and letting the Holy Spirit of God lead our direction and steps.

Upvote 0

reformed ttL

Dec 21, 2009
Canada
✟7,930.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
wow I sure don't want any ones head to explode, but you can sure see the hatred toward Calvinists amazing:confused:

Upvote 0

reformed ttL

Dec 21, 2009
Canada
✟7,930.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

I personally don't use just 1 or 2 verses or parables for my understanding of theology I try to use all of scripture and learn from others here or teachers on line :)

Upvote 0