Are We Too Casual?

jef1225

Nov 24, 2015
✟17,378.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This thread on dress in church reminds me of a video I saw. There was a man in church who was dressed in the most worn out and dirty clothes. He looked as if he needed a bath, was homeless, and not dressed to impress at all. No one in the congregation wanted to sit near him and all of them turned their noses up to him as if he were a disgrace for showing up to church like that. When the service starts the church elders tell the people that there is a new pastor in the audience and then they call him up to introduce himself to the church. Well low and behold guess who it was. The dirty bad clothes wearing homeless looking man. The look on their faces was priceless. The pastor and elders had this set up to introduce the new pastor. Now all these suit wearing "Christians" weren't very Christian at all even though they were all wearing nice clothes and suits and ties were they. Clothing has nothing to do with worship or love of Christ period and its awfully judgemental of someone who thinks it is.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This thread on dress in church reminds me of a video I saw. There was a man in church who was dressed in the most worn out and dirty clothes. He looked as if he needed a bath, was homeless, and not dressed to impress at all. No one in the congregation wanted to sit near him and all of them turned their noses up to him as if he were a disgrace for showing up to church like that. When the service starts the church elders tell the people that there is a new pastor in the audience and then they call him up to introduce himself to the church. Well low and behold guess who it was. The dirty bad clothes wearing homeless looking man. The look on their faces was priceless. The pastor and elders had this set up to introduce the new pastor. Now all these suit wearing "Christians" weren't very Christian at all even though they were all wearing nice clothes and suits and ties were they. Clothing has nothing to do with worship or love of Christ period and its awfully judgemental of someone who thinks it is.
Clothes do not a christian make to be sure but they sure do speak to the idea of how you approach the worship of God when you have nice clothes to wear. Your story is nothing but a ruse to ascribe to unbelievers the dress of a believer. God's grace makes people gracious. I would never look down on a homeless man, and in fact I have had opportunity to deal with just such a situation, but to see folks regualrly coming to the public worship of God in clothes that they wouldn't wear to the movies tells a whole lot about how they approach the worship of God. Again it is a symptom not the disease.

Upvote 0

jef1225

Nov 24, 2015
✟17,378.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Clothes do not a christian make to be sure but they sure do speak to the idea of how you approach the worship of God when you have nice clothes to wear. Your story is nothing but a ruse to ascribe to unbelievers the dress of a believer. God's grace makes people gracious. I would never look down on a homeless man, and in fact I have had opportunity to deal with just such a situation, but to see folks regualrly coming to the public worship of God in clothes that they wouldn't wear to the movies tells a whole lot about how they approach the worship of God. Again it is a symptom not the disease.
My story isn't even a story let alone a ruse as you put it. It was of a video I have seen is what I was describing. But hey fella if it makes you feel like good to wear whatever it is you wear to church that's your business but don't sit here and tell me or anybody else that because we don't dress to your standard that you know how we approach our worship of Christ by not living up to your standards of dress. I have always given my all in worship and gulp I do wear shorts to church in the summertime because hey its summertime and hot. And as far as never looking down on a homeless man, you sure have made the impression that you look down on some of us for not dressing to your standards. I've said my piece and we can agree to disagree on the subject.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
My story isn't even a story let alone a ruse as you put it. It was of a video I have seen is what I was describing. But hey fella if it makes you feel like good to wear whatever it is you wear to church that's your business but don't sit here and tell me or anybody else that because we don't dress to your standard that you know how we approach our worship of Christ by not living up to your standards of dress. I have always given my all in worship and gulp I do wear shorts to church in the summertime because hey its summertime and hot. And as far as never looking down on a homeless man, you sure have made the impression that you look down on some of us for not dressing to your standards. I've said my piece and we can agree to disagree on the subject.
Why is it that folks always jump to a conclusion when what folks wear to church is mentioned? I would guess it is because they feel compelled to defend what they wear or don't wear. Instead of seeking to understand my argument everyone has jumped to a conclusion that I have set a standard which, as I have repeatedly sad, is not true. Not one has even considered my arguments for a split second they have all jumped to the conclusion that I am a legalist. :doh:

Everyone want s to make the argument about clothes but it isn't about clothes it is about the heart.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Why is it that folks always jump to a conclusion when what folks wear to church is mentioned? I would guess it is because they feel compelled to defend what they wear or don't wear. Instead of seeking to understand my argument everyone has jumped to a conclusion that I have set a standard which, as I have repeatedly sad, is not true. Not one has even considered my arguments for a split second they have all jumped to the conclusion that I am a legalist. :doh:

Everyone want s to make the argument about clothes but it isn't about clothes it is about the heart.
But that's the problem. You want to say on one have its about the heart. But on the other, you are judging the heart by what people wear (they should be wearing the best they have).

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have always said that you can tell how much someone takes the worship of God seriously by how they dress and act. I have seen some come in their pajamas. I certainly don't have a requirement in dress in order to attend church. If a man has just come from the field and has on his dirty clothes that is fine because he may not have had time to change. But when folks regularly attend in shorts and tee shirts, pants with hole in them and all the other ways that I have seen you know tha they could have dressed better to worship but didn't think much of it to bother.

I gain my best biblical insights and applications from Bible studies and home church groups.
The most memorable prayers and faith growth came from two person studies.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I can't believe that those who claim that they hold the Bible as the final authority and care about the Word so much, are completely ignorant of what is plainly told in Scripture. :(

Does anyone not remember James 2:1-7? :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Maybe they skipped over that part?

Im noticing many people just ignore parts of the Bible they dont like even after its been quoted to them and is plain as day.

Annoying, but what can you do? People just dont wanna listen.

Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0