Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It is informed by years of experience in life and by a Scriptural understanding of human nature. It is informed by observation and interaction with people over 62 years of life. It is informed by grasping the examples in Scripture and noticing the similarities. And lastly it is informed by the Spirit that has given me light and understanding in the things of God.
So you feel that you can be dogmatic about this?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If I didn't I wouldn't be.
Then you are in extreme error and you might need to get back with the Spirit on this. Two of the most godly men I know both wear shorts and Hawaiian shirts on Sundays, a lot of the time. One is in his 70's. One is a district manager of a restaurant chain. Neither would ever consider looking down on someone because of the way they dress, and anyone who would look down on them is a legalist. Maybe it's because the gospel is preached each and every Sunday and we see each other as more important.

So in my opinion, if you are going to be dogmatic on something the scriptures are silent about, that's legalism.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Then you are in extreme error and you might need to get back with the Spirit on this. Two of the most godly men I know both wear shorts and Hawaiian shirts on Sundays, a lot of the time. One is in his 70's. One is a district manager of a restaurant chain. Neither would ever consider looking down on someone because of the way they dress, and anyone who would look down on them is a legalist. Maybe it's because the gospel is preached each and every Sunday and we see each other as more important.

So in my opinion, if you are going to be dogmatic on something the scriptures are silent about, that's legalism.
You can call it legalism if you want but the fact remains that no matter how godly you may seem to be if you approach God in a casual common manner you have a spiritual problem.

And yes a casual approach to the worship of God has infected even those of great age. While Christ Jesus the Lord of glory may be our elder brother He is the King whom we serve and worship.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You can call it legalism if you want but the fact remains that no matter how godly you may seem to be if you approach God in a casual common manner you have a spiritual problem.

And yes a casual approach to the worship of God has infected even those of great age. While Christ Jesus the Lord of glory may be our elder brother He is the King whom we serve and worship.
I will call it legalism because you are making judgments not based on scripture, or scriptural princples, and judging the hearts of men.

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't consider a nice pair of jeans and a nice shirt as casual but comfortable. I am comfortable in a suit and tie. No I do not see myself as more holy or more serious about worship than others I just am convinced that the common way people seem to dress for worship, such as shorts and a tee shirt when they have a nice pair of pants that are just as comfortable speaks to how serious they take the worship of God. Why bring to God that which is common when you have better? If you can dress up to go on a date or out to dinner then why can't you when you worship God?

You would love me then. I don't even remember the last time I washed them at times. I'll sniff them to make sure they don't smell to much. Plus they are raggedy by the heel. There is no way I would be allowed to wear them to work on Jean day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would just ask the OP if they meant dressing casually or maybe the whole worship service is not as formal and structured as they like.

Eg 3 hymns, offering, a reading, a sermon, 3 more hymns, prayer, benediction.

As opposed to..come along have a cup of tea, chat about your day, read a devotional, eat some cake, listen to some christian rock music.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I will call it legalism because you are making judgments not based on scripture, or scriptural princples, and judging the hearts of men.
I notice, though, that you haven't actually engaged any of my arguments or tried to refute them.

(Lev 22:32) Neither shall ye profane my holy name; but I will be hallowed among the children of Israel: I am the LORD which hallow you,

(Lev 22:33) That brought you out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: I am the LORD.

The principle being that you hallow the Lord God in your heart and mind and do not come to His worship in a casual or common manner.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I notice, though, that you haven't actually engaged any of my arguments or tried to refute them.

(Lev 22:32) Neither shall ye profane my holy name; but I will be hallowed among the children of Israel: I am the LORD which hallow you,

(Lev 22:33) That brought you out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: I am the LORD.

The principle being that you hallow the Lord God in your heart and mind and do not come to His worship in a casual or common manner.

You assume things that are not in Scripture.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

That's strictly your opinion.

I agree that we should hallow God in heart and mind. You are the one adding "and dress to my standards".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithfulPilgrim

Eternally Seeking
Feb 8, 2015
South Carolina
✟39,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would just ask the OP if they meant dressing casually or maybe the whole worship service is not as formal and structured as they like.

Eg 3 hymns, offering, a reading, a sermon, 3 more hymns, prayer, benediction.

As opposed to..come along have a cup of tea, chat about your day, read a devotional, eat some cake, listen to some christian rock music.

It's the latter for the Wednesday service, but the Sunday service fits the former definition.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You assume things that are not in Scripture.

While they are not plainly spelled out in the Scriptures they are Scriptural principles. I am not assuming anything but simply taking the whole teaching of the Scriptures concerning the worship of God into consideration.

Dress has nothing to do with it nor am I setting a standard that others should follow. What I am saying is that the casual manner in which folks dress is a symptom of the casual manner in which people take the worship of God.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
That's strictly your opinion.

I agree that we should hallow God in heart and mind. You are the one adding "and dress to my standards".
You are now putting words in my mouth in order to poison the well. I never once said that people had to adhere to a standard, mine or anyone else's, in order to worship God. But what I do see is a casual approach to worship in our country and dress is a symptom of it.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What I am saying is that the casual manner in which folks dress is a symptom of the casual manner in which people take the worship of God.

That's as much your opinion as my view that churches whose men dress in suits are uptight and legalistic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You are now putting words in my mouth in order to poison the well. I never once said that people had to adhere to a standard, mine or anyone else's, in order to worship God. But what I do see is a casual approach to worship in our country and dress is a symptom of it.
Every post is the same thing. On one hand, you say how people don't need to adhere to a standard, and then you say that if they don't adhere to a standard, it's a symptom of something else.

That's speaking out of both sides of your mouth.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well go to both and see which one you prefer and stick with one if you dont like the other. New christians grow better in smaller groups.

Also yea scripture says dont worry about what to wear all the time.
If you have one set of nice clothes, just wear that to church as your church clothes (garments of praise) so you dont need to fuss all the time.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,825.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I was raised in the military and brought up Baptist. The GARBC, (General Association Registered Baptist Church) from which I use to belong was great when I was a teenager. They use to take us on retreats, youth camps, and other special functions all the time. I remember on a trip to Northern Michigan that it looked like there must have been over a thousand people at that retreat. And in all my memories I cannot remember more beautiful young ladies, dressed very sharp!

When I became Pentecostal Holiness at that time it was full of revivals. And the old people would encourage us to attend revivals to keep our Salvation bright and our experience up to date. As with the Baptist conference, I would leave these meetings feeling very clean spiritually. I am researching the life of the old circuit rider, Robert Sayers Sheffey, in which the Bob Jones University done a film. When Sheffey was young he would attend all the revivals and camp meetings within riding distance. This is what made a saint out of him.

In the late 1800's the Methodist Camp meetings began to dissipate away, And Robert Sheffey witnessed this with a heavy heart. In the 1900's the Holiness movement rebelled against the Methodist church and the Pentecostal Holiness church arose in Wythe county, VA. Driving through old Sheffey country I can notice that the Methodist church buildings have the 1800's look to them while the Pentecostal Holiness have the 1900's look to them. But here in this centennial I have noticed that the Pentecostal Holiness church is dimming away. I have wondered if the successful church in this century will not end up in old store buildings and that if the church will be abandoned all together.

To make my summary here... I am worried about the Baptist, Methodist, and Pentecostal Holiness churches in that we have forsaken the large assemblies of camp meetings, revivals, and conferences. And I am very much worried for the young Christian these days who will not benefit from the sanctified environment of such meetings.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Every post is the same thing. On one hand, you say how people don't need to adhere to a standard, and then you say that if they don't adhere to a standard, it's a symptom of something else.

That's speaking out of both sides of your mouth.
I truly appreciate your honesty and forthrightness on this issue. It certainly isn't such a big issue with me to fall out with a brother. Therefore I will leave this conversation. :wave:

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
While they are not plainly spelled out in the Scriptures they are Scriptural principles. I am not assuming anything but simply taking the whole teaching of the Scriptures concerning the worship of God into consideration.

Sounds like "good and necessary consequence...."

Love ya bro.

Upvote 0