Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acts 10:15 had nothing to do with sex it was about introducing Gentiles to the New Covenant. Incest still existed it just wasn’t a sin. Adam & Eve children having sex with each other is by definition incest. The origin of the word is irrelevant. We can’t say that murder didn’t exist before the 12th century because the English language didn’t exist yet.
*face palm* Did i say anywhere that I thought it was about sex?

I am referring to people calling the time before Moses as incest /
Acts 10:15 had nothing to do with sex it was about introducing Gentiles to the New Covenant. Incest still existed it just wasn’t a sin. Adam & Eve children having sex with each other is by definition incest. The origin of the word is irrelevant. We can’t say that murder didn’t exist before the 12th century because the English language didn’t exist yet.

Acts 10:15 Yes I do know it was about the Gentiles and the New Covenant, but there is a principle there to not call unclean what God has called clean.
In that sense we should not use modern words like incest, which at its roots means 'impious unchastity'; when the marriages of those people was not sinful behavior but blessed.

The origin of the word is very relevant because words have meanings. You don't imply something is sinful when it is not.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We can’t say that murder didn’t exist before the 12th century because the English language didn’t exist yet.
Words for taking life unlawfully has existed since Genesis. The word 'Kill' is used in Genesis 4. (ho·reg) הֹרֵ֣ג to kill, slay, which Cain did to Abel.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Other thoughts from other sources, which I don't particularly agree with (I've already stated my own)
But these are interesting, I wasn't aware of them

This one though, I love

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, this is very simple. Incest was not a sin in the beginning. God only created a commandment against it later on. So, it was okay before that. Simple as that.
So incest was not inherently sinful or offensive to God? God just changed his mind on it?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
*face palm* Did i say anywhere that I thought it was about sex?

I am referring to people calling the time before Moses as incest /

Acts 10:15 Yes I do know it was about the Gentiles and the New Covenant, but there is a principle there to not call unclean what God has called clean.
In that sense we should not use modern words like incest, which at its roots means 'impious unchastity'; when the marriages of those people was not sinful behavior but blessed.

The origin of the word is very relevant because words have meanings. You don't imply something is sinful when it is not.

Incest doesn’t have to have anything to do with marriage. It can be considered sexual relations between parents and their children, siblings, or any other closely related relatives.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So incest was not inherently sinful or offensive to God? God just changed his mind on it?

Yes, why not? Did He not change the dietary laws, atonement for sin, requirements for entering into His covenant, the laws concerning the Saturday Sabbath, as well as numerous other ceremonial laws & ordinances?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Words for taking life unlawfully has existed since Genesis. The word 'Kill' is used in Genesis 4. (ho·reg) הֹרֵ֣ג to kill, slay, which Cain did to Abel.

It’s still irrelevant, the word Incest fits the description of what took place. What would you call what Adam’s children did?

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s still irrelevant, the word Incest fits the description of what took place. What would you call what Adam’s children did?
It's very relevant. Incest is sinful sexual activity between family members the same way murder is the unlawful taking of life. It isn't a neutral term, its loaded with meaning. If you use the word incest people will be repulsed and rightly so.
The same way if a life is taken in self defense there is a reason the word changes to manslaughter rather than murder, because people have an understanding of the differences between murder and manslaughter and will react in different ways to it. You can't simply use a loaded word like incest while talking about unions God blessed.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's very relevant. Incest is sinful sexual activity between family members the same way murder is the unlawful taking of life. It isn't a neutral term, its loaded with meaning. If you use the word incest people will be repulsed and rightly so.
The same way if a life is taken in self defense there is a reason the word changes to manslaughter rather than murder, because people have an understanding of the differences between murder and manslaughter and will react in different ways to it. You can't simply use a loaded word like incest while talking about unions God blessed.

The definition of the word Incest has nothing to do with law or immorality.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
it's *possible* that Adam & Eve's kids mated with those who were one step behind us in evolution

or, that sex with the women who where "one evolutionary step behind us" sometimes produced offspring

personally I think that Adam & Eve had tons of children, as many as she could knock out, BEFORE Eve decided to eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good & Evil

and that Cain corrupted them all over time
I can't see it. Would people today be keen to mate with apes?

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, why not? Did He not change the dietary laws, atonement for sin, requirements for entering into His covenant, the laws concerning the Saturday Sabbath, as well as numerous other ceremonial laws & ordinances?
Incest is not akin to ceremonial laws.

Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I’m noticing a lot of people having a problem with all mankind being a descendant of Adam & Eve because it would imply that their children would’ve had to engage in incest in order to populate the world and also the fact that Cain settled in the city of Nod and got married so people often ask, “where did the people in this city come from”? I think the main problem is that many people are not seeing the big picture that is presented in scripture. Many people are simply examining the creation account in Genesis and not considering the rest of scripture.

First let’s establish that Adam was the first man because I’m seeing some who believe otherwise.

“So also it is written, “The first man, Adam, became a living soul.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15‬:‭45‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

I’ve seen some claim that the man created in Genesis 1 is not the same man, Adam who was created in Genesis 2 and that chapter two is actually a different event from Genesis 1. According to 1 Cor 15:45 Adam was the man created in Genesis 1.

Genesis 3 says that Adam named his wife Eve because she is the mother of all the living.

“Now the man called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all the living.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭3‬:‭20‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Obviously this only refers to humans and not all living things.

Next let’s establish that all mankind are descendants of Adam. Acts 17:26 says that men of all nations came from one man or one blood.

“and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation,”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭17‬:‭26‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

So according to all of these scriptures outside of Genesis we must conclude that Adam was the first man and Eve was the first woman and all mankind are descendants of them including Cain’s wife.

Now if we do the math, Adam was 130 years old when Seth was born. We don’t know how old he was when Cain & Able were born so the closest we can get is from Seth’s birth. According to the math and assuming that Adam was created as an adult which I’m confident we can agree on, Adam could’ve potentially had 153 children by the time Seth was born if Eve didn’t have any twins or triplets, quadruplets, etc. Unfortunately I’m not smart enough to try to calculate how many children those children could’ve had who were of age to marry by the time Cain settled in Nod but I would imagine it should be in the thousands by that time if they began having children around the age of 15 or so. Keep in mind that even tho a lot of people believe that Cain & Able are Adam’s first two born that is not actually mentioned in the scriptures. In Genesis 5 the descendants of Adam are counted beginning with Seth not Cain & Able. It’s very possible that the only reason Cain & Able were even mentioned in the scriptures is because it’s a record of the first death or murder that took place since creation. So it’s very plausible that an entire city of people, Nod, could’ve existed completely composed of Adam’s children by the time Cain married. God had told Adam & Eve to go forth and multiple so it’s likely that they started right away. We also don’t know how long after Cain killed Able before he actually got married. That could’ve been another couple hundred years for all we know. So the thousands that existed when Seth was born could’ve multiplied into tens or maybe even hundreds of thousands by the time Cain married depending on how long it took before he got married. So it’s not entirely implausible that a city could’ve existed by the time Cain got married.

I know a lot of people have a problem with the idea of incest but it wasn’t actually forbidden until Leviticus roughly 2500 years after creation. If the scriptures specifically say that we are all descendants of Adam then obviously God couldn’t have had a problem with it before He commanded us not to do it. Furthermore the scriptures also tell us that after the flood the whole world was populated by Noah’s 3 sons.

“These three were the sons of Noah, and from these the whole earth was populated.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭9‬:‭19‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

So again this would’ve required them to engage in sexual relations with their close family members.

I’ve heard some claim that God also created “humanoids” and Adam’s descendants reproduced with these humanoids to populate the world and that’s why Adam’s descendants didn’t engage in incest but that idea doesn’t hold up for what took place after the flood since these humanoids would’ve been killed in the flood. So that still puts us right back to incest being necessary to populate the world. Anyway I thought I’d share this evidence from scripture to help people get a more comprehensive understanding of what took place during the population of the world.
Possibilities - not proven or disproven biblically.
1) before Adam and Eve sinned they had many children as commanded to be fruitful and multiply and replenish the Earth. As well as access to the Tree of Life which according to the Book of Revelation is gives healing and according to Genesis 3:22 gives immortality. Incest had to take place but healing from the fruit and the leaves of the Tree of Life kept abnormalities and deformities from being present.
2) so Adam and Eve had healthy offspring spread throughout much of Africa parts of Asia and parts of Europe - but these theories would void out what most Christians refer to as Six-Day creation _ making Adam's sin very shortly after the day he was created.

3) After the flood with Noah and his three sons
a) yes they could have _ even at a small number of children per couple.

b) from Australia to China, to Asia, to Europe, to Africa, to North America, there are flood stories of an angry God destroying mankind and saving a few -why is that. For the stories passed down from generation to generation or Adam and Eve we're here many centuries before they sinned - either/ither can be an unproven possibility.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Possibilities - not proven or disproven biblically.
1) before Adam and Eve sinned they had many children as commanded to be fruitful and multiply and replenish the Earth. As well as access to the Tree of Life which according to the Book of Revelation is gives healing and according to Genesis 3:22 gives immortality. Incest had to take place but healing from the fruit and the leaves of the Tree of Life kept abnormalities and deformities from being present.
2) so Adam and Eve had healthy offspring spread throughout much of Africa parts of Asia and parts of Europe - but these theories would void out what most Christians refer to as Six-Day creation _ making Adam's sin very shortly after the day he was created.

3) After the flood with Noah and his three sons
a) yes they could have _ even at a small number of children per couple.

b) from Australia to China, to Asia, to Europe, to Africa, to North America, there are flood stories of an angry God destroying mankind and saving a few -why is that. For the stories passed down from generation to generation or Adam and Eve we're here many centuries before they sinned - either/ither can be an unproven possibility.

I think it’s pretty safe to say that the fall took place before Adam was 120 years old. If Seth was born when Adam was 130 years old and Cain & Able were old enough to farm and raise livestock that would probably mean that they were at least 10 years old at the earliest in my opinion. So that would put Adam at around 120 years old. Now the fall could’ve definitely happened much earlier than when Adam was 120 years old but I don’t think it could’ve happened any later than that.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I’m noticing a lot of people having a problem with all mankind being a descendant of Adam & Eve because it would imply that their children would’ve had to engage in incest in order to populate the world and also the fact that Cain settled in the city of Nod and got married so people often ask, “where did the people in this city come from”? I think the main problem is that many people are not seeing the big picture that is presented in scripture. Many people are simply examining the creation account in Genesis and not considering the rest of scripture.

First let’s establish that Adam was the first man because I’m seeing some who believe otherwise.

“So also it is written, “The first man, Adam, became a living soul.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.”

I’ve seen some claim that the man created in Genesis 1 is not the same man, Adam who was created in Genesis 2 and that chapter two is actually a different event from Genesis 1. According to 1 Cor 15:45 Adam was the man created in Genesis 1.

Genesis 3 says that Adam named his wife Eve because she is the mother of all the living.

“Now the man called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all the living.”

Next let’s establish that all mankind are descendants of Adam. Acts 17:26 says that men of all nations came from one man or one blood.

“and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation,”

So according to all of these scriptures outside of Genesis we must conclude that Adam was the first man and Eve was the first woman and all mankind are descendants of them including Cain’s wife.

Now if we do the math, Adam was 130 years old when Seth was born. We don’t know how old he was when Cain & Able were born so the closest we can get is from Seth’s birth. According to the math and assuming that Adam was created as an adult which I’m confident we can agree on, Adam could’ve potentially had 153 children by the time Seth was born if Eve didn’t have any twins or triplets, quadruplets, etc. Unfortunately I’m not smart enough to try to calculate how many children those children could’ve had who were of age to marry by the time Cain settled in Nod but I would imagine it should be in the thousands by that time if they began having children around the age of 15 or so. Keep in mind that even tho a lot of people believe that Cain & Able are Adam’s first two born that is not actually mentioned in the scriptures. In Genesis 5 the descendants of Adam are counted beginning with Seth not Cain & Able. It’s very possible that the only reason Cain & Able were even mentioned in the scriptures is because it’s a record of the first death or murder that took place since creation. So it’s very plausible that an entire city of people, Nod, could’ve existed completely composed of Adam’s children by the time Cain married. God had told Adam & Eve to go forth and multiple so it’s likely that they started right away. We also don’t know how long after Cain killed Able before he actually got married. That could’ve been another couple hundred years for all we know. So the thousands that existed when Seth was born could’ve multiplied into tens or maybe even hundreds of thousands by the time Cain married depending on how long it took before he got married. So it’s not entirely implausible that a city could’ve existed by the time Cain got married.

I know a lot of people have a problem with the idea of incest but it wasn’t actually forbidden until Leviticus roughly 2500 years after creation. If the scriptures specifically say that we are all descendants of Adam then obviously God couldn’t have had a problem with it before He commanded us not to do it. Furthermore the scriptures also tell us that after the flood the whole world was populated by Noah’s 3 sons.

“These three were the sons of Noah, and from these the whole earth was populated.”

So again this would’ve required them to engage in sexual relations with their close family members.

I’ve heard some claim that God also created “humanoids” and Adam’s descendants reproduced with these humanoids to populate the world and that’s why Adam’s descendants didn’t engage in incest but that idea doesn’t hold up for what took place after the flood since these humanoids would’ve been killed in the flood. So that still puts us right back to incest being necessary to populate the world. Anyway I thought I’d share this evidence from scripture to help people get a more comprehensive understanding of what took place during the population of the world.

Nicely done. And I agree with just about all of it.

Not sure I understand why Noah's sons had "to engage in sexual relations with their close family members." Even nowadays, it is not dangerous for cousins to bear offspring, but it is dangerous for a nephew or niece to reproduce by their uncle or aunt. Noah's sons had wives, and there were cousins as a result.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

JohnRemnant

Jul 3, 2022
NYC
✟4,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The laws of incest were not given.
However we know genetically,
if people were engaging in incest for any number of years required to populate the earth, that it would lead to genetic abnormity and disease.
If you take Gods word as it reads word for word, not all people come from Adam and Eve. Because history in the archeological remains, date all other civilizations before, Adam and Eve were created After the 7th Day [ Not the 6th ].

Meaning Adam and Eve were not the first people God created.
When Cain became afraid he would be found and killed, it was because these lands were already inhabited.
Again archeology/ Human History for example The Akkadian people : African nations, and Chinese, predate Israel's own History, by thousands of years. This is a proven fact.

At that point Adam and Eve had no other sons nor daughters.
Cain would go to a land already named for a man, Nod, and take a wife from there.
If you read The 6th Day, what does God say? He created men and women, and they populated the earth. Some fishers, some hunters, some gatherers, but no farmer is mentioned. This would come later with Adam and Eve. God states in chapter 2 " I have not a man, to till the soil".
Adam and Eve by Seth and eventually Noah, began the tribes of Israel. And all other peoples had their own man and woman before them. This is why there are biologically different races of people. You biologically cannot produce a new race, from a different race. Its not possible. And The Lord God does not say it either.
The only Biblical reason that Adam and Eve are given special attention in The Bible is for the fact The Lord Christ would descend from Adam and Eve. Gods prophecy and plans would be motivated through using Israel. Not all the peoples of the world.

Through two specific Tribes in Israel. The Lords Genealogy is given in Luke 3. And who does He descend? Not from all races of people. But only from Adam and Eve by Seth, and Noah and so forth until Mary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
According to the math and assuming that Adam was created as an adult which I’m confident we can agree on, Adam could’ve potentially had 153 children by the time Seth was born if Eve didn’t have any twins or triplets, quadruplets, etc.
Poor Eve, having to give birth that many times! Something about this just doesn't seem right.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Poor Eve, having to give birth that many times! Something about this just doesn't seem right.
Giving birth wasn’t nearly as painful before the fall. Most mothers I know consider the pain to be insignificant to the joy they receive from their child.

Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced

I have heard that a lot, even many Christians feel that there are two creation accounts. I feel Genesis 2 is a more detailed account of Genesis 1 and because the ancient people who were just learning to write did not have a formal way of writing are politically correct words as people do these modern days.

I believe (not biblically supported) Adam lives thousands and thousands of years before he sinned and he and Eve had many, many, children. They had access to the Tree of Life which in Genesis 3:22 states the fruit makes one live forever.
Revelation tells us that the leaves is for healing. So the leaves and fruit of the tree gave mankind healing if there were any deformities, illnesses the Tree of Life cured it, and I would say instantly.

Plus before Adam disobeyed God there was no sin and according to scripture one man's sin not only brought death into the world but it brought sickness into the world also. So Adam's children marrying each other was not a sin, God had not given that commandment.

What some of Adam's children done was migrate and they established the Land of Nod

Genesis chapter 6 the sons of God marry the daughters of man and had children and not all of them were giants because it says and there were giants in the land in those days.
Those offspring could be the humanoids you're speaking of - which would be why the homo sapiens won out

Yes Genesis 3:20 tells us that Eve is the mother of all living

Upvote 0