Are these points held by proponents of critical race theory (CRT)?

Kilk1

Jul 21, 2019
Washington State
✟103,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I just heard of the following: Critical race theory debate heating up in Ohio General Assembly.

Do proponents of critical race theory (CRT) support the following statements, statements the bill would ban schools from promoting?
  • One race or sex is inherently superior to another race or sex
  • An individual, by virtue of the individual's race or sex, is inherently racist, sexist or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously
  • An individual should be discriminated against or receive adverse treatment solely or partly because of the individual's race
  • An individual's moral standing or worth is necessarily determined by the individual's race or sex
  • An individual, by virtue of the individual's race or sex, bears responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex
  • The advent of slavery in the territory that is now the United States constituted the true founding of the United States
  • With respect to their relationship to American values, slavery and racism are anything other than deviations from, betrayals of or failures to live up to the authentic founding principles of the United States, which include liberty and equality.
I'm trying to learn more about what critical race theory is. I welcome answers from anyone but would prefer answers from proponents of CRT. Thank you!

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
No, depends on definition, no but clarity is needed on "discrimination", no, no, no, and I do not understand the last one. Last one sounds like a "yes" possibly.

I am still learning about the thing tho' so there are probably others on the forum who can answer better than I with more detail. God bless.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
  • The advent of slavery in the territory that is now the United States constituted the true founding of the United States
  • With respect to their relationship to American values, slavery and racism are anything other than deviations from, betrayals of or failures to live up to the authentic founding principles of the United States, which include liberty and equality.
Those points aren't buttresses against CRT; they're buttresses against critiques of American history. Effectively, Rep. Jones appears to promoting a toned-down, generalized variation of the Lost Cause narrative, painting the US in a more positive light than our history warrants.

I'm trying to learn more about what critical race theory is.

Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: xser88
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just heard of the following: Critical race theory debate heating up in Ohio General Assembly.

Do proponents of critical race theory (CRT) support the following statements, statements the bill would ban schools from promoting?
  • An individual, by virtue of the individual's race or sex, is inherently racist, sexist or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously
  • An individual should be discriminated against or receive adverse treatment solely or partly because of the individual's race
  • An individual's moral standing or worth is necessarily determined by the individual's race or sex
  • An individual, by virtue of the individual's race or sex, bears responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex
I'm trying to learn more about what critical race theory is. I welcome answers from anyone but would prefer answers from proponents of CRT. Thank you!

Hi @Kilk1

I'm not completely up to date on the CRT teaching, but I think point #1 is off the mark. From my understanding CRT is trying to teach against the idea that one race is superior to another.
#2 I think, is a somewhat broad understanding of one of its points. Basically saying that a white man, much like the inherited sin idea of Scripture, is bound to have some unease or racial bias towards other races. The black man also will have some, at least subconscious, racially motivated thoughts/feelings.
#3 I think that this one is also reversed. CRT teaches that an individual should not be discriminated against.
#4 I don't think is right either. I believe that CRT is trying to teach that an individual's moral standard is not a race issue. It is more of an upbringing issue. However, I think that CRT does teach that all of these ideas are regularly found in our various racial dealings.
#5 There is some foundation that oppressed races feel they deserve some repatriations, even though the ones that would be paying the repatriation are not of the same generation that committed the racial events.
#6 I've never heard this one before.
#7 I'm not sure that sentence makes sense. I think I would say it this way: With respect to their relationship to American values, slavery and racism are deviations from, betrayals of or failures to live up to the authentic founding principles of the United States, which include liberty and equality. I believe it is true that our Constitution proclaims that all men are created equal. Black men are men just as much as white men are men, and should, therefore be treated with equal standing with one another. Our Constitution also proclaims that all citizens of the United States have the life goal of liberty and I don't think anyone would agree that, certainly in the years of slavery in America, that blacks shared in that liberty.

That's how I've understood CRT, but others may have other ideas. I think one of the big sticking points is that there are just too many 'proud' Americans who are just unwilling to admit and agree that we, as a nation, totally dropped the ball in our responsibility to actually afford all men the pursuit of life, liberty and equality, that is guaranteed all people in our Constitution. CRT wants to make us more aware of how we, even subconsciously and often unknowingly, pursue agendas, make comments that encourage racial division. Now, many of us don't do such things to any real measurable degree, but there are still a lot of very, very bigoted people who live within the confines of our nation. One visit to a white power or Nazi or skinhead group will quickly convince one that there is still a lot of racism in this country. It varies in degree among most of us, but it's still there for a very, very large portion of the population.

It's not just a black thing. Look at how the 'former guy' referred to people coming from across the border as murderers and rapists. It was a general comment that he followed up with some acquiescence that 'some' might be good people. That fact is that the vast, vast majority of those crossing our borders are honest, decent hardworking people who are just trying to get a better life for themselves and their families. The murderer, rapist is really the one off. The few and far between. So, such a general sweeping statement directed towards all those crossing our border is a racist comment that is generalizing all, or at least the vast majority, of being murderers and rapists.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
An individual, by virtue of the individual's race or sex, bears responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex
I think there are Critical Race Theory people who say whites in the United States are all responsible for the wrongs done to black people in earlier history.

I would say . . . this is not true, if I am not helping that wrong stuff to continue or be justified. But I should do anything I can to help make things better for black people who might still be losing out on something good because of past racism. And do what I can for any and all other minority people, too :)

However > "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God," we have in Romans 3:23. So, probably in some way I have not been perfectly free of prejudice of some sort. So, I need to keep praying for however God will show me things and correct me, including of anything which is somehow helping racism.

Upvote 0

iarwain

Feb 13, 2009
✟105,073.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi @Kilk1
#3 I think that this one is also reversed. CRT teaches that an individual should not be discriminated against.
I'm not so certain that is correct. Perhaps that is true in an "idealistic" sort of way.

Current and up and coming policies stress the word "equity". Which means that the results must come out equal for everyone (which is impossible). This idea is the basis of policies that will favor certain races. Like the farming loans that were given out to black farmers but not white farmers. The idea is to lift up the black farmers, but there were poor white farmers who also needed the loans. Some sued, saying they were discriminated against.

That may or may not be strictly CRT, but there is a family of ideas at work here, that rejects the cilv rights tradition of a "color blind" society, and seeks to give favor to certain citizens based on race, and to label people as oppressed and oppressor based on race.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That’s the kind of simplistic and distorted version of CRT it’s critics cite when trying to make it go away.

For an understanding of the actual ideas of CRT, Critical Race Theory: An Introduction (Delgado et al) is useful, and quite short.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed

No.
Racism is the idea that someone’s race is superior to another race. CRT is “color-consciousness” but it explicitly rejects the idea that any race is superior to any other.
[/quote]
  • An individual, by virtue of the individual's race or sex, is inherently racist, sexist or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously [/quote]
No.
CRT holds that while overt racism exists the real problem is that racism exists in the underlying structure of our society and that most racism is experienced at an institutional level. These racist ideas are built into the basic cultural concepts that we just accept as facts and such ideas usually need to be pointed out to people for them to even realize that they are racists in the first place. An example would be those who stress the incarceration rate of African Americans but ignore that this is actually a problem of economics.
No.
This is the exact opposite of what CRT says
No.
Although I find it interesting that those most likely to make this claim about CRT are themselves judging the moral standing and worth of people based on race.

we all have a responsibility to look uncritically at the history of our country and society and be honest about the injustices that took place. We have the responsibility to learn form past mistakes and work to make sure history does not repeat itself.
  • what is "true founding"
Above i just mentioned looking at history uncritically. Did the introduction of slavery into the colonies affect the the foundation of the United States? Of course it did. Why would anyone wish to pretend it did not?

• If we accept that the founding principles of our country are liberty and equality then we are left to explain just how slavery and institutionalized racism and other forms of systemic discrimination fit into that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ibram X Kendi promotes the theory of white people being racists merely
by being born white.

Are you quoting from something he said or wrote himself, or what someone else said about his views? Either way, could you provide a source please?

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've seen him on YouTube and other areas.

But here's one that is critical of his theories on racism;

Stop calling babies racist | Opinion

Another

What he is quoted as saying in the linked article is that babies are taught to be racist - or anti-racist - which clearly isn't the same thing as saying 'babies are racist'. Personally I think Kendi is a bit of an absolutist, too stuck in his own logic to take a broader view, but he is also one of the most misrepresented people out there. This conclusion from the article is clear nonsense:

'What the binary really implies is that racism is not a behavior, a worldview, or a choice; it is an innate condition, something white people must work to overcome from birth'

How does saying that babies are taught mean that they have some innate predisposition? Innate conditions and taught beliefs are opposites, not the same. Bogus over-reactions of this kind to CRT get in the way of any actual understanding, which only leads to more pointless slinging of extreme and conflict-provoking arguments.

• Agree
Reactions: SilverBear
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What he is quoted as saying in the linked article is that babies are taught to be racist - or anti-racist - which clearly isn't the same thing as saying 'babies are racist'. Personally I think Kendi is a bit of an absolutist, too stuck in his own logic to take a broader view, but he is also one of the most misrepresented people out there. This conclusion from the article is clear nonsense:

'What the binary really implies is that racism is not a behavior, a worldview, or a choice; it is an innate condition, something white people must work to overcome from birth'

How does saying that babies are taught mean that they have some innate predisposition? Innate conditions and taught beliefs are opposites, not the same. Bogus over-reactions of this kind to CRT get in the way of any actual understanding, which only leads to more pointless slinging of extreme and conflict-provoking arguments.

Try reading the article and then watch the video which has video's of him saying
that white people are born racists as the quote you copy and pasted shows.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Try reading the article and then watch the video which has video's of him saying

The quote says babies are taught (or not) to be racist - not that they are born racist. Do you see the difference? If someone needs to be taught something, that is the opposite meaning to being born with that thing that would otherwise need to be taught.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm 5 minutes into the vid, no mention of Kendi saying 'babies are racist'. Where did you see it?

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The quote says babies are taught (or not) to be racist - not that they are born racist. Do you see the difference? If someone needs to be taught something, that is the opposite meaning to being born with that thing that would otherwise need to be taught.

From the article;

"What the binary really implies is that racism is not a behavior, a worldview, or a choice; it is an innate condition, something white people must work to overcome from birth. For Kendi and the millions of Americans buying his books, we cannot inhabit a racially neutral space of, say, a person who treats all people with dignity and respect. We must instead become anti-racist, fighting racism in the manner outlined by Kendi and company, through policy and programming that centers race."

It's either or with Kendi. You're either raised to be a racist or anti-racist and white people
need to work to overcome being racist.

Really ?

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Ibram X Kendi promotes the theory of white people being racists merely
by being born white.

He's more racist than those he attacks and he's the reason behind
the looney ideas of CRT.
and several posts later you still can't seem to provide any direct quote supporting your claim

Upvote 0