Are there any white people in the bible?

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I guess Pontius Pilate was white, and some of the Greek Philosophers that saint Paul encountered in Athens were probably white, but Jews weren't, they are more or less like Arabs are today.

Can you think of any white people of faith and importance in the bible?

We've come to this point have we?

Has the racism that's pushed in American culture to divide the people for war now coming for the earliest Christians to divide them according to their race too?

The Bible has an answer to all:

"In Christ there is no Jew or Gentile" Galatians 3:28

Don't join the Marxist's in attacking what is Holy.

• Winner
Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,334.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I may be wrong, but Titus looks like a Latin spelling.
Yeah, you are right, Titus is a Roman name. According to tradition, he was from Crete. Maybe a Greek with a Roman name.

Or his name was Titos and Bible got it latinized.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Don't join the Marxist's in attacking what is Holy.
Some allegedly Christian groups are essentially white supremacist as well as right wing in their politics. I worry a lot more about them than about imaginary Marxists.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Mongoloid refers to Mongolia.

In the early 20th century someone started calling people with Down Syndrome mongoloid because their eye shape resembles those who are Asian (epicanthic folds). It was dropped in the 1950s.
Yes, it came to me so i deleted it and you brought it back. Chagrin

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I do not want to be rude but what is the point of this? did not GOD create humans all humans, white yellow black there are no differences, the same with hair colour or eye colour, can we judge people by colour, absolutely not. why do you want to know, it is the same as asking Jesus hair colour or eye colour, probably brown, yes there were probably "white skinned people" in the bible certainly. would it change your perception if you knew?
At the end we are all god's children made in his image.
Quite so. The ancients were much less obsessed by race than we are. And they were, in that respect, much closer to God. I doubt very much if Jesus would have been able to eat at a lunch counter in Little Rock in 1960, even if he was clean-shaven and in a business suit.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I guess Pontius Pilate was white, and some of the Greek Philosophers that saint Paul encountered in Athens were probably white, but Jews weren't, they are more or less like Arabs are today.

Over the last couple hundred years "whiteness" has changed. In the 1800's Italians and Greeks weren't considered "white". They've only become white in the 20th century.

So in one sense, it depends on what one means by "white". Presumably there were plenty of people among Paul's missionary journeys in Greece and parts of Anatolia who we would, today, call "white".

But, I'd argue more importantly, the whole concept of "white"; and the whole notion of "races" of human beings is nonsense rooted in a highly modernistic, and intrinsically racist, view of humanity.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There are three genetic races. Negroid (mainly African), Mongoloid (mainly Chinese and Japanese) and Caucasiod (everyone else, including most of the people in the bible).

This isn't true. The entire field of genetics has rendered theories such as this utterly obsolete.

There aren't any genetic races. There's just human beings. And we come in a massive gradient of phenotypes.

-CrptoLutheran

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

"White" is a label that was created much later in history. In the biblical times, ethnicity was equivalent to our idea of "race". An Israelite and a Moabite were two different people groups in the ancient world, though genetically very similar. Even today, the construct of race makes no sense. The human population is gradient, rather than distinct. Mediterranean shares affinity with Southern Europeans ans North Africans. West Asian shows affinity to East Asia and Middle East and Eastern European. It is not useful to use such categories in the real sense. It is very imaginary and divisive.

Upvote 0

Rose_bud

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father...
Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟32,240.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
"White" is a label that was created much later in history. In the biblical times, ethnicity was equivalent to our idea of "race". An Israelite and a Moabite were two different people groups in the ancient world, though genetically very similar. Even today, the construct of race makes no sense. The human population is gradient, rather than distinct. Mediterranean shares affinity with Southern Europeans ans North Africans. West Asian shows affinity to East Asia and Middle East and Eastern European. It is not useful to use such categories in the real sense. It is very imaginary and divisive.
:wave:

Thank you for your thoughts.
A very limiting label. For example, when I call someone just a white person. I've missed the opportunity to understand their ethnicity, their heritage, their history. Same goes for a black person, I miss out on the opportunity to know, that someone is a X speaking person from the Y clan, but also decended from Z. So much I miss out on knowing because all is seen is a colour.

We, as Christians find our identity in Christ. We are all his children, but we are not clones. There is beauty in our diversity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums