Are there any Female Saints from the Americas?

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It dawned on me today that I do not know of any "recognized" female saints that hail from the Americas. Are there any?

I did some googling, and found some information about a "Olga Michael", but I cannot tell whether she is glorified by any jurisdictions.

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,647.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I believe that the founder of EWTN, Mother Angelica, would be the closest bet.

Could Alabama nun Mother Angelica be canonized a saint?

MV5BOWEyNTg0ZWMtNWJhNi00N2VhLWE2YWItNDdlNWZkN2QxMjZmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI4MjY2MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,020,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can’t think of any canonized Orthodox women saints in America, though I am sure there are non-canonized saints. Interesting thought...I’m curious if others know of any.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
no women yet. although three come to mind for me, Mat Olga of Alaska, Mother Alexandra of Elwood City, and Mary of Blairsville. God willing soon!

and Orthodox don't recognize Roman saints, aside from possible personal devotion.

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
no women yet. although three come to mind for me, Mat Olga of Alaska, Mother Alexandra of Elwood City, and Mary of Blairsville. God willing soon!

and Orthodox don't recognize Roman saints, aside from possible personal devotion.

It's good to know that there are some in the running. :) I am sure that each is already a saint, but as you say, God willing it would be nice if they were made official.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Kateri Tekakwitha - Wikipedia

Saint Kateri Tekakwitha
(pronounced [ˈɡaderi deɡaˈɡwita] in Mohawk), given the name Tekakwitha, baptized as Catherine[3][4] and informally known as Lily of the Mohawks (1656 – April 17, 1680), is a Roman Catholic saint who was an AlgonquinMohawk laywoman. Born in the Mohawk village of Ossernenon, on the south side of the Mohawk River, she contracted smallpox in an epidemic; her family died and her face was scarred. She converted to Roman Catholicism at age nineteen, when she was renamed Kateri, baptized in honor of Saint Catherine of Siena. Refusing to marry, she left her village and moved for the remaining 5 years of her life to the Jesuit mission village of Kahnawake, south of Montreal in New France, now Canada.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,705.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's good to know that there are some in the running. :) I am sure that each is already a saint, but as you say, God willing it would be nice if they were made official.

and a lot of the abbesses at the Greek monasteries are incredibly holy too

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wonder just how much differently Christianity would have turned out had there been Church Mothers as well as Church Fathers?

we call our female saints the Church Mothers, so there are Church Fathers as well as Church Mothers.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Of course, yes. I'd forgotten how deep the Orthodox/Catholic divide is.

Are there any non-Orthodox Christians (post-1054) recognized as saints in the Orthodox calendar?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

Are there any non-Orthodox Christians (post-1054) recognized as saints in the Orthodox calendar?

No, as close as you get to that is a monastery called New Skete that venerates Francis and Claire, but they were Byzantine Catholics at one time.

• Informative
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

no, we don't recognize that which is outside the Church. we leave that to God's judgment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

no, we don't recognize that which is outside the Church. we leave that to God's judgment.

I agree with Matt, from my limited knowledge there are none.

Interestingly though, the Russian Orthodox Church does venerate a post-Chalcedonian schism saint in Saint Elesbaan of Axum.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There's a bit of an institutional bias here. First, sainthood is (or should be) a slow process. Lately it seems to be accelerating, but that's none of my business. St Seraphim of Sarov took over 70 years and that was seen as fast and his canonization was kind of irregular (https://www.researchgate.net/public...Prophecy_and_Politics_in_Late_Imperial_Russia). Second, there is a tendency to only notice people with official roles in the Church, particularly, monastics and - most especially - monastic priests.

Upvote 0