Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The only direct reference to tattoos is in Leviticus 19:28 which is old testament ruling.

There is no direct and plain comment against tattoos in the the new testament only oblique references such as 1 Cor 6 19:20 which is open to interpretation.

I don't think God would have an issue with someone who believes and is saved, having tattoos. I am sure that there are some great Christians with 'Harley D' tats!! :)

Howse yourself? didn't Ian Paisley Junior some while back defend some policewoman's right to have tattoos on her arm? some bureaucrat in the reconstituted PSNI ha d apparently thought that shrinking violets in Northern Ireland would be filled with dismay and confusion at the sight of - like a significant proportion of others of her generation - the evidence of her visit to the parlor.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't "believe in tattoos" but I believe that it's okay to have them.

I also believe that if you're going to get an outrageous tattoo, expect some outrageous reactions.

I have several tattoo ideas...just haven't really found the "right" one for me.

And my husband shaves. Every day, pretty much.;)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't "believe in tattoos" but I believe that it's okay to have them.

I also believe that if you're going to get an outrageous tattoo, expect some outrageous reactions.

I have several tattoo ideas...just haven't really found the "right" one for me.

And my husband shaves. Every day, pretty much.;)

Well, you will have to shave also when you get yours...:) the tattoo artist generally shaves the area of any follicles before applying the stencil of the chosen design.

From a pragmatic point of view, faith based tattoo designs do stimulate many testimony discussions, which presumably is the whole idea.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2013
✟7,646.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I agree. Tattoos or body piercings were never really in a good light in the old testament nor were the restated to be good in the new testament (unlike the shellfish, mixed clothing etc). They serve no purpose to me even in the context of ministering. The cross and the fish must first be worn in the heart not as some permanent ink on the husk that encloses our soul. If the person really bears his/her cross why must he show other people? That's like screaming "Hey I'm a christian", such a quality should be shown through actions not through ink. A person could be tattoo from head to toe in crosses but a lack of conviction in the heart means nothing. It is simply not important to me and again I never understand the hype.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I agree. Tattoos or body piercings were never really in a good light in the old testament nor were the restated to be good in the new testament (unlike the shellfish, mixed clothing etc).
When were body piercings portrayed in a negative light in the Old Testament? When was mixed clothing mentioned specifically in the New Testament as acceptable, or at all for that matter?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree. Tattoos or body piercings were never really in a good light in the old testament nor were the restated to be good in the new testament (unlike the shellfish, mixed clothing etc). They serve no purpose to me even in the context of ministering. The cross and the fish must first be worn in the heart not as some permanent ink on the husk that encloses our soul. If the person really bears his/her cross why must he show other people? That's like screaming "Hey I'm a christian", such a quality should be shown through actions not through ink. A person could be tattoo from head to toe in crosses but a lack of conviction in the heart means nothing. It is simply not important to me and again I never understand the hype.

You make some good points, and most definitely it needs to be in the heart, first and foremost.

What I would add is that many Christians do find that faith related designs (Bible ref., Christian fish <><, etc.) are proven to be effective in stimulating conversations.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2013
✟7,646.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
OT- Leviticus 19:28 ESV / 59 helpful votes
You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord.
You must cut the flesh to make body piercings and tattoos. And just in general when looking at past pagan tribes they frequently pierced, cut and tattooed their flesh. I'm sure it was important to try to make a distinction from such tribes that worshiped pagan gods. Also this scripture is referring to pagan tribes....

1 Peter 3:3 ESV / 85 helpful votes
Do not let your adorning be external&#8212;the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear&#8212;
This is more for modesty but again it goes with my really not getting the hype about multiple body piercings.

NT-Mark 7:19-Food doesn't go into your heart, but only passes through the stomach and then goes into the sewer." For many this means that God doesn't care what you eat.

Matthew 6:25-34 ESV / 12 helpful votes
&#8220;Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Doesn't sound like he cares about mixed fabrics.

On the note of mixed fabrics (unless there is a different translation) it seems that Deut 22:11 specifically notes wool and linen; odd combination of fabric to find so I would imagine it would be rare to have the combination unless in a suit- a hot suit. But that is just my opinion and nothing biblical.

Also negative light doesn't mean sinful but I agree that they are not necessary. For example, many women get their ears pierced for earrings. I have my ears pierced and one interesting thing is that they still have stayed open despite my not wearing earrings for a couple of years. Tongue, nose, cartilage, back and other areas of piercings generally close even after a few years of constant wearing. That is kind of a bodily sign that maybe there are some places where it is more sensible to pierce. But do women REALLY need to get their ears pierced- no. I think things such as piercing, tattoos and outwardly appearances are given a little more special attention in both the OT and NT because of pagan practices and the frequent attempt to place beauty before God.
I try to find some purpose in what I do with my body and see if it really pleases God. If it doesn't then I most likely won't do it.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2013
✟7,646.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You make some good points, and most definitely it needs to be in the heart, first and foremost.

What I would add is that many Christians do find that faith related designs (Bible ref., Christian fish <><, etc.) are proven to be effective in stimulating conversations.

Thank you for the compliment. I also find such faith related designs helpful but I guess I would prefer a necklace rather than a tattoo. :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the compliment. I also find such faith related designs helpful but I guess I would prefer a necklace rather than a tattoo. :)

YW; I guess such designs can be effective conversation-starters whether they be in the form of a necklace, tattoo or whatever.

Interestingly, my wife and I recently met a lady with John 3.16 tattooed and I told her it was my favorite text and she said it was hers also. I'm sure that on other occasions she has had conversations about it also.

(Re. earrings which you also mentioned, I don't have a problem with them actually; it's interesting that in Ezekiel 16.12 the Lord Himself gives earrings to Zion - and even a nose ring.)

But certainly the Word needs to be in the heart first and foremost.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that in many cases tatoos have sin behind them as in associating with groups/people that are sinful or ideas that are ungodly. In the Bible it equates it wrong to do things to make your brother stumble (sin) and tatoos can be a source of that in some cases. I think that often the idea behind tatoos is to get attention and in that getting attention the desire behind it in the end is to sin in the effort.
Christians are not commanded against tatoos, the Jews as they were to be a set aside people of God that were not to be seen as individuals but a nation. tatoos can be a source of division more than uniting people as a whole.
The Bible also equates our body as the temple of God, and tatoos can be considered a form of advertising or graffiti and nobody would want their "temple" to have such nonsense on it. Imagine what your church would look like tatood all over it with everyone putting the tatoos off their body on the outside walls and see how those who attend quickly want to paint over them all.
I think those are some good points, Soph, and I wouldn't argue them. They make sense to me from my studies on many other topics in Scripture.

Personally, I've not studied the issue of tattoos from a biblical perspective; my distaste for them is therefore not scriptural but purely personal at this point.

I find them truly distasteful. I've yet to see one that is remotely attractive, big or small. Indeed, I see them as scars on the human body.

Women who sport tattoos look particularly unattractive. There's just nothing else to say about that - they detract from a woman's beauty - in more ways than the obvious.

I find it very curious why, for example, the national basketball league is plagued with tattooed individuals - guys that are literally covered with them. It's almost as if it's a rite of passage or something.

I guess I get the biker penchant for tattoos; and the felon's penchant for them as well. But the NBA? Don't get that one.

As you suggest, the body is the temple of the Lord - and tattooing it, rather than decorating it, looks more like it's been tagged by some teenage vandal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 2, 2013
✟7,646.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
YW; I guess such designs can be effective conversation-starters whether they be in the form of a necklace, tattoo or whatever.

Interestingly, my wife and I recently met a lady with John 3.16 tattooed and I told her it was my favorite text and she said it was hers also. I'm sure that on other occasions she has had conversations about it also.

(Re. earrings which you also mentioned, I don't have a problem with them actually; it's interesting that in Ezekiel 16.12 the Lord Himself gives earrings to Zion - and even a nose ring.)

But certainly the Word needs to be in the heart first and foremost.

Blessings.

I've had friends who have written the verse on their arms but in washable ink. More as a reminder for them during that day. I also don't have a problem with earrings I was noting how some parts of the body when pierced do not reclose the hole while others do very quickly or outright reject piercings (like corset piercings)
Ezekial 16:12 confuse me because in some translations it says nostrils while in others it said forehead.

King James Bible
And I put a jewel on thy forehead, and earrings in thine ears, and a beautiful crown upon thine head.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've had friends who have written the verse on their arms but in washable ink. More as a reminder for them during that day. I also don't have a problem with earrings I was noting how some parts of the body when pierced do not reclose the hole while others do very quickly or outright reject piercings (like corset piercings)
Ezekial 16:12 confuse me because in some translations it says nostrils while in others it said forehead.

King James Bible
And I put a jewel on thy forehead, and earrings in thine ears, and a beautiful crown upon thine head.

I think the Hebrew in Ezekiel 16.12 says nose, if I'm not mistake; a footnote in a King James edition I have says nose also.

Do you know anyone who has done corset piercings? Personally I don't see any witness benefits to them.

Whereas a well planned faith based tattoo can certainly lead to a Biblical discussion again and again.

Blessings.

Blessings.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2013
✟7,646.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think the Hebrew in Ezekiel 16.12 says nose, if I'm not mistake; a footnote in a King James edition I have says nose also.

Do you know anyone who has done corset piercings? Personally I don't see any witness benefits to them.

Whereas a well planned faith based tattoo can certainly lead to a Biblical discussion again and again.

Blessings.

Blessings.

Oh okay. That is interesting and I'm not sure what to make of it honestly. I was reading the King James but not the footnotes. I know people who have done corset piercings. The skin eventually rejects the rings and tries to go back to normal. This is similar to piercing certain cartilage areas. I generally use such a bodily action as saying "maybe this wasn't made to be pierced".
I guess i know too many people who have gotten faith based tattoos but their fruits are a little rotten, if you understand what I'm trying to say.
At the end of the day they are not for me and I don't think a tattoo would move me nor anyone in my family. But if they work for you then that's good.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think those are some good points, Soph, and I wouldn't argue them. They make sense to me from my studies on many other topics in Scripture.

Personally, I've not studied the issue of tattoos from a biblical perspective; my distaste for them is therefore not scriptural but purely personal at this point.

I find them truly distasteful. I've yet to see one that is remotely attractive, big or small. Indeed, I see them as scars on the human body.

I've seen A LOT of beautiful tattoos.

Women who sport tattoos look particularly unattractive. There's just nothing else to say about that - they detract from a woman's beauty - in more ways than the obvious.
I guess I'd rather see a woman with a butterfly on her shoulder than cut off daisy dukes and a bare midriff.

I don't find tattoos tasteless, for the most part. And I know some women who got tattoos early in their years when they were wild and rebellious and then they grew up over the years. They are wonderful ladies and they are beautiful, tattoos and all. I wouldn't judge them because of that one thing.

I find it very curious why, for example, the national basketball league is plagued with tattooed individuals - guys that are literally covered with them. It's almost as if it's a rite of passage or something.

I guess I get the biker penchant for tattoos; and the felon's penchant for them as well. But the NBA? Don't get that one.
It's exactly a rite of passage, just like you'll find a lot of guys in the military with tattoos.

As you suggest, the body is the temple of the Lord - and tattooing it, rather than decorating it, looks more like it's been tagged by some teenage vandal.
For most people with tattoos, their tattoos ARE decoration.

I think you need to be careful about judging a book by its cover here. Perhaps you've seen some really idiotic tattoos (I know there's a facebook meme of Tattoo Fails that is actually pretty hilarious) or some really ugly ones. I've seen very beautiful ones, and they're not always for starting conversations about religion.

I find it interesting (and this is a general remark, not directed at you) that some of the most outspoken people I know who against tattoos are overweight. That sorta negates the whole "my body is a temple" argument.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh okay. That is interesting and I'm not sure what to make of it honestly. I was reading the King James but not the footnotes. I know people who have done corset piercings. The skin eventually rejects the rings and tries to go back to normal. This is similar to piercing certain cartilage areas. I generally use such a bodily action as saying "maybe this wasn't made to be pierced".
I guess i know too many people who have gotten faith based tattoos but their fruits are a little rotten, if you understand what I'm trying to say.
At the end of the day they are not for me and I don't think a tattoo would move me nor anyone in my family. But if they work for you then that's good.

Oh faith based tattoos are not for everyone who is a Christian; but I think it's rather undeniable that, for those who do have them - especially when the reference is clear and backed up by a conscience that is ready to 'give a reason for the hope', they are proven effective in helping with witness conversations. Even from the conversation my wife and I had with the lady modestly tattooed with John 3.16 recently, it seemed clear enough, anyway.

Re. Ezekiel 16.12, I guess this is one reason I find it hard to be critical of piercings in general, at least, in moderation. Some piercings are, of course, over the top.

I guess corset piercings remain visible for a while - especially if the wearer has summer clothes - after the rings have been removed.

Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've seen A LOT of beautiful tattoos.

I guess I'd rather see a woman with a butterfly on her shoulder than cut off daisy dukes and a bare midriff.

I don't find tattoos tasteless, for the most part. And I know some women who got tattoos early in their years when they were wild and rebellious and then they grew up over the years. They are wonderful ladies and they are beautiful, tattoos and all. I wouldn't judge them because of that one thing.

It's exactly a rite of passage, just like you'll find a lot of guys in the military with tattoos.

For most people with tattoos, their tattoos ARE decoration.

I think you need to be careful about judging a book by its cover here. Perhaps you've seen some really idiotic tattoos (I know there's a facebook meme of Tattoo Fails that is actually pretty hilarious) or some really ugly ones. I've seen very beautiful ones, and they're not always for starting conversations about religion.

I find it interesting (and this is a general remark, not directed at you) that some of the most outspoken people I know who against tattoos are overweight. That sorta negates the whole "my body is a temple" argument.

You're right; there is some amazing artwork.

I always find it odd when very conservative people will, for reasons of their own, react very strongly for example if a young lady gets a Christian fish sign <>< on her wrist for witness purposes, but if her dad sets up a lot of stock in a dodgy Enron-style company with a reckless offshore setup that is likely to implode, there is a deathly silence from them.

Kind of 'mote' versus 'beam' situation, even when the mote in question may be for witness purposes.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2013
✟7,646.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You're right; there is some amazing artwork.

I always find it odd when very conservative people will, for reasons of their own, react very strongly for example if a young lady gets a Christian fish sign <>< on her wrist for witness purposes, but if her dad sets up a lot of stock in a dodgy Enron-style company with a reckless offshore setup that is likely to implode, there is a deathly silence from them.

Kind of 'mote' versus 'beam' situation, even when the mote in question may be for witness purposes.

I guess it is easy to see the girl's fish sign but it is difficult to know that her father set up stock with a reckless offshore setup. You would have to ask the girl, get to know her and then ask her about her father. And why would the father tell you where he put his stocks? My point is that information is kind of personal and not something one would know by simply talking to someone on the street.
But then again I would have to ask the girl about her fish sign and judge her by her fruits to see if it would be best to listen to her. While I get that tattoos could be used for witnessing I would also argue that the cross and fish itself are becoming more fashion symbols. When I studied abroad in a college in Australia many people wore crosses but they were not Christians. It was simply fashionable to wear a cross.
I guess when looking at a person with a tattoo one must not judge her as being bad but one must also not judge her as being automatically good nor that their tattoo is specifically witnessing to people. For those students who wore crosses as fashion if a person asked them about their cross in the hopes to learn more they would probably get a fairly shallow view of Christianity with that fact that so many can wear the symbol but it means nothing.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I guess it is easy to see the girl's fish sign but it is difficult to know that her father set up stock with a reckless offshore setup. You would have to ask the girl, get to know her and then ask her about her father. And why would the father tell you where he put his stocks? My point is that information is kind of personal and not something one would know by simply talking to someone on the street.
But then again I would have to ask the girl about her fish sign and judge her by her fruits to see if it would be best to listen to her. While I get that tattoos could be used for witnessing I would also argue that the cross and fish itself are becoming more fashion symbols. When I studied abroad in a college in Australia many people wore crosses but they were not Christians. It was simply fashionable to wear a cross.
I guess when looking at a person with a tattoo one must not judge her as being bad but one must also not judge her as being automatically good nor that their tattoo is specifically witnessing to people. For those students who wore crosses as fashion if a person asked them about their cross in the hopes to learn more they would probably get a fairly shallow view of Christianity with that fact that so many can wear the symbol but it means nothing.

I guess my wider point was that the biggest fraud in history- reportedly - was by a guy who, wearing his other 'hat', taught Sunday School. What I mean is that divorcing personal conduct from broader ethics, while busybodying about the faith tattoo of someone who may be trying witness - however imperfectly - would seem to show a completely skewed sense of priorities, yet a lot of conservative folk seem to do it.

I agree that it's a pity when someone's testimony about a cross, etc. is either shallow or non-existent.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
my distaste for them is therefore not scriptural but purely personal at this point.

I guess in some ways it's all quite subjective in matters of personal taste, one way or another.

Regarding your comments about women who have them, statistics actually show that 59%-70% of parlor clients in North America are female, with parlors in some areas reporting an even higher proportion.

I guess this has all had the effect of many Christians, instead of fighting the medium, embracing it instead, and using it as a proven effective tool in witness conversations.

These days parlors are sometimes more like bright and airy salons than dingy establishments in back street industrial sections. In recent years, the quality of inks used has improved greatly. Not unusually the client is a mom or a grandmother, for example getting the names and dates of birth of kids or grandkids, or something faith based, or military wives getting something faith based or patriotic.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
OT- Leviticus 19:28 ESV / 59 helpful votes
You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord.
You must cut the flesh to make body piercings and tattoos. And just in general when looking at past pagan tribes they frequently pierced, cut and tattooed their flesh. I'm sure it was important to try to make a distinction from such tribes that worshiped pagan gods. Also this scripture is referring to pagan tribes....
Tattoos, not piercings - also a command for Jews only.

1 Peter 3:3 ESV / 85 helpful votes
Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear—
This is more for modesty but again it goes with my really not getting the hype about multiple body piercings.
This doesn't really address body piercings, unless said piercings were plainly immodest, and the woman saw her beauty as coming from them rather than from within.

Matthew 6:25-34 ESV / 12 helpful votes
“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Doesn't sound like he cares about mixed fabrics.

On the note of mixed fabrics (unless there is a different translation) it seems that Deut 22:11 specifically notes wool and linen; odd combination of fabric to find so I would imagine it would be rare to have the combination unless in a suit- a hot suit. But that is just my opinion and nothing biblical.
I was referring to Lev. 19:19, which seems to be more open ended. Jesus was a good Jew, and not teaching against this verse.

Also negative light doesn't mean sinful but I agree that they are not necessary. For example, many women get their ears pierced for earrings. I have my ears pierced and one interesting thing is that they still have stayed open despite my not wearing earrings for a couple of years. Tongue, nose, cartilage, back and other areas of piercings generally close even after a few years of constant wearing. That is kind of a bodily sign that maybe there are some places where it is more sensible to pierce. But do women REALLY need to get their ears pierced- no.
They're certainly not necessary, as I have none of those and don't plan to get any. Biblically speaking though, I believe that Gentile believers are free to get them.

Upvote 0