Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay. Whatever. I just wondered what your cryptic post meant. Still in the dark, but that's all right.

If you're still in the dark, then to clarify a bit more, Scofield and many others of a dispensational persuasion would say that the New Testament believer under grace (Ephesians 2.8-9) is not under the law anyway, in the manner of Old Testament Jews in the land.

So the whole thing about what to do with Christians who might go to a tattoo parlor is moot anyway, if so, logically.

I guess a lot depends on one's presuppositions.

Upvote 0

Tzav

No fetuses were harmed by this membership.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2014
✟36,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
If you're still in the dark, then to clarify a bit more, Scofield and many others of a dispensational persuasion would say that the New Testament believer under grace (Ephesians 2.8-9) is not under the law anyway, in the manner of Old Testament Jews in the land.

So the whole thing about what to do with Christians who might go to a tattoo parlor is moot anyway, if so, logically.

I guess a lot depends on one's presuppositions.

No! According to the Bible the only ones "under the Law" are those who are not believers. Those who DO Torah (the Instructions, also called the Law) are not "under the Law." There is, therefore, no condemnation!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No! According to the Bible the only ones "under the Law" are those who are not believers. Those who DO Torah (the Instructions, also called the Law) are not "under the Law." There is, therefore, no condemnation!

The believer's justification is by faith, not works. (Romans 5.1; Ephesians 2.8-9). It involves 'the obedience of faith' (Romans 16). The law was changed (Hebrews 7.12) and now we have something better than the law (Hebrews 7.19).

But anyway, some Christians do find faith based ink to be a helpful conversation-starter in witness.

Upvote 0

Tzav

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2014
✟36,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
The believer's justification is by faith, not works. (Romans 5.1; Ephesians 2.8-9). It involves 'the obedience of faith' (Romans 16). The law was changed (Hebrews 7.12) and now we have something better than the law (Hebrews 7.19).

But anyway, some Christians do find faith based ink to be a helpful conversation-starter in witness.

Gotcha, Farouk.
We no longer need G-d's instructions.
Now, we are free to covet, for example, because we are free from the instructions -- the Law.
Now, you can just believe and do whatever.
Now, you can show my your faith by your lack of works.
Have you ever studied Hebrews 7 in Greek? You should. You really should.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Gotcha, Farouk.
We no longer need G-d's instructions.
Now, we are free to covet, for example, because we are free from the instructions -- the Law.
Now, you can just believe and do whatever.
Now, you can show my your faith by your lack of works.
Have you ever studied Hebrews 7 in Greek? You should. You really should.

James says show the reality of faith by works.

This is different from being under the law. Salvation is 'not of works' (Ephesians 2.9).

You can say what you like, but I don't understand your Gotcha comment.

Upvote 0

Exodus20

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
✟7,742.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I am going to be honest because I feel like I never can be. I don't believe God likes tatoos. Why because it says he doesn't in the Bible... "You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord."and before you go and tell me" well that was the law of moses and blah blah blah", concider what God is saying and also what other things he says is an abomination too, like having sex with your daughter in law, having sex with an animal, obviously these things are NOT okay. although I agree that there are the washings and sacrifices that dont need to be done anymore and those are legalism, but look at some of them and see that even Christ told us to follow. Matthew 5:17 Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I guess you just have to look at why God commanded them and pray about it. anywho please message me if you agree. I dont even want to come back to this thread cause i know im going to get a ton of poeple attacking me and stuff.

:amen: :wave: :clap: Good post !

To: "Faithful and true" --- You are correct and said ( typed ) nothing wrong. The only wrong thing you said is that you would not visit the Thread again --- after starting it. You made a valid point , and you used the correct scripture. You have nothing to be sorry or ashamed of. The ones that make up their bodies like vile godless pagans and drunken Sailors on Shore Leave are the ones who should be ashamed!

There are so many good verses that apply to the issue which you have raised. Sadly the sloppy-agape American ( Canadian ? ) type of current Christianity stands for nothing , and falls for everything.

Look at Matthew 5:48 ; James 4:4 ! we are in the world , but not of the world. Our home is The Celestial City.

Check out this verse: it pertains to the people that want to look and act like the pagans & unbelievers , and get upset when Christians take a stand for Righteousness and Holiness. ---> Isaiah 5:20.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
:amen: :wave: :clap: Good post !

To: "Faithful and true" --- You are correct and said ( typed ) nothing wrong. The only wrong thing you said is that you would not visit the Thread again --- after starting it. You made a valid point , and you used the correct scripture. You have nothing to be sorry or ashamed of. The ones that make up their bodies like vile godless pagans and drunken Sailors on Shore Leave are the ones who should be ashamed!

There are so many good verses that apply to the issue which you have raised. Sadly the sloppy-agape American ( Canadian ? ) type of current Christianity stands for nothing , and falls for everything.

Look at Matthew 5:48 ; James 4:4 ! we are in the world , but not of the world. Our home is The Celestial City.

Check out this verse: it pertains to the people that want to look and act like the pagans & unbelievers , and get upset when Christians take a stand for Righteousness and Holiness. ---> Isaiah 5:20.

Some very good points here in this post.

What I also wonder about is, what about preachers who shave? The Leviticus verse about 'cutting for the dead' (the context seems to be necromancy) is preceded by one about not trimming the corners of one's beard.

If preachers shave, then maybe they are giving a backhanded acknowledgment that New Testament believers under grace are not under the law in the same sense as Old Testament Jews in the land were.

From a Gospel perspective - presumably the main focus of the New Testament believer - some people find a faith based design to be effective in conversation-starting witness situations.

Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes I am thankful that God uses me to reach out to others thru my tattoo.

amymine712:

What people who don't like tattoos don't realize is the sheer amount of God honoring conversations with people that can arise from a tasteful, faith based tattoo.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Tzav

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2014
✟36,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Desiring a tattoo, in my opinion, is like children asking their youth leader, "How far can we go before we have to admit it's sin?" The Bible already says not to cut oneself, and one cannot have a tattoo without cuts. Trying to make a tattoo righteous is like trying to make going as far as we can toward sexual sin righteous. If G-d already says something is unacceptable, we cannot make it acceptable to Him by trying to make it religious. Take His Word as it stands. We should, instead, be trying to stay as far from sin as possible!

Okay. I am ready for the onslaught . . . .

Upvote 0

amymine712

Praising God
Jun 24, 2014
✟15,459.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Desiring a tattoo, in my opinion, is like children asking their youth leader, "How far can we go before we have to admit it's sin?" The Bible already says not to cut oneself, and one cannot have a tattoo without cuts. Trying to make a tattoo righteous is like trying to make going as far as we can toward sexual sin righteous. If G-d already says something is unacceptable, we cannot make it acceptable to Him by trying to make it religious. Take His Word as it stands. We should, instead, be trying to stay as far from sin as possible!

First off we are no longer under the old covenant. I was young in my faith when I got my tattoo but I felt it was put on my heart to get it. I mainly got it as a reminder to myself of God's promises and has used it and me to tell others about His promises and what it means to me.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Of course, the Bible doesn't mention polyester, cotton or working on Sunday. What shall we do!! :D
But clothing woven of two or more materials is forbidden to Jews in Leviticus 19:19. Do you wear such clothing?

This makes sense for the Jews, who have been forbidden to cut their flesh and get tattoo marks in Leviticus 19:28 - but this is only in the Law of Moses, and the Law of Moses does not pertain to Gentiles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First off we are no longer under the old covenant. I was young in my faith when I got my tattoo but I felt it was put on my heart to get it. I mainly got it as a reminder to myself of God's promises and has used it and me to tell others about His promises and what it means to me.

amymine712:

God sees the motives in the heart of a believer in His Son. He knows the motive behind why you chose for the inking needle to make you a tattooed woman; He knows how you have been able to use your design to tell others about His promises.

In the scheme of things, it's probably inevitable that things we do seeking to honor God will sooner or later be called into question, but this does not detract from the original motive.

'For all the promises of God in Him are yea, and in Him Amen, unto the glory of God by us'. (2 Corinthians 1.20)

Blessings.

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ever consider that the laws given to Moses might be good for all humanity?

Yes, I used to think along those lines. But the more I became familiar with the teachings of the NT, the more I realized and rejoiced that the Obsolete Covenant is not my yoke.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
On an earlier thread katyn made some comments which in turn I would like to comment on:

my step-daughter who is 18 and i am very very close to has a birth mom who brought her to a tattoo parlor ...i'm kinda torn because i know she is going to end up getting more because her mom is encouraging it, but i'm just grateful on the other hand that her mind is on the Lord while getting them...i'm just wondering if i should feel predominantly 'happy' because her tat is a cross or if i should feel predominantly upset that she may be on the road to covering her body and imo thus making some people less respectful of her...
however i do have one tattoo and think they are fine, as long as they are discreet, but on one's hand?

First of all, your daughter counts as an adult. As an adult she can engage in whatever relationship she likes with her birth mom - even though your own relationship with her is indeed very special.

To some extent, her choice to accompany her birth mom to a tattoo parlor is possibly an instance of you 'learning to let go', in relation to someone who is now an adult.

Secondly, since you yourself are tattooed and since she as an adult has made the choice to become a tattooed woman, any constructive interaction between the two of you on the subject of tattoo parlor visits is from now on from the framework of being two people who have, each in your own time, voluntarily become tattooed adults.

Whether your advice is given gently or in a more direct manner, this from now on is the basic framework. You make your adult decisions and so does she: she's not the child you knew, but a tattooed adult like you.

She like other young people needs daily, prayerful Scripture reading far more than attempts to dissuade her from ink.

Upvote 0

Wolftone

Apr 29, 2013
Under your stairs
✟16,046.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The only direct reference to tattoos is in Leviticus 19:28 which is old testament ruling.

There is no direct and plain comment against tattoos in the the new testament only oblique references such as 1 Cor 6 19:20 which is open to interpretation.

I don't think God would have an issue with someone who believes and is saved, having tattoos. I am sure that there are some great Christians with 'Harley D' tats!! :)

Upvote 0