Are theological absurdities actually holy mysteries?

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
O.k. thanks, everybody. It will be a busy week for me, so I probably won't be able to post much to this thread.

If somebody else wants to highlight some Christian theological absurdities/contradictions for discussion, that would be fine with me.

We haven't talked about the "problem of evil". That's a popular one.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If somebody else wants to highlight some Christian theological absurdities/contradictions for discussion, that would be fine with me.
That's just sad.

Here we have a theology of love thy neighbor and love thine enemies, and how do you feel?

"Absurdities/contradictions are fine with me."

:doh:

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
O.k. thanks, everybody. It will be a busy week for me, so I probably won't be able to post much to this thread.

We haven't talked about the "problem of evil". That's a popular one.

Theodicy is in my view a natural consequence of free will. Metropolitan Kallistos Ware said rather elegantly that the one thing God cannot do is force us to love Him.

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Of course, the Bible says man was created in God's image, so wouldn't that mean that some trait of humans is shared by God? Furthermore, the essence of communication is the human ability to anthropomorphize. I can communicate with my cat, because I can put myself in his shoes. I can imagine what my cat might be thinking. If we cannot put ourselves in God's shoes, then we have no hope of communication with God. Also how can humans become Godlike if God is so unlike a human?

On the Trinity, I double-dare you to give a clear definition in common everyday words that anybody can understand ;) Then we can match-up your words with one of the heresies in that Wikipedia link. Maybe you can succeed, but many theologians admit that the Trinity is incomprehensible.

BTW, I agree that "absurd" is subjective in many cases. Even the "Problem of Evil" apparently has some deniers.

Hi,

It seems as though Theologians also agree, (although agreement does not change things in and of it self), that The Trinity though, can be revealed to someone, historically like Paul, or Abraham, or other people in history, and seems to be understood by them. Apart from that experience, it is said to be not understadable, in detail.

I have that experience. And, all the words used to describe God, Theologically and Philosophically, I have trouble with. I do not though, have trouble interfacing with Him, His Son, or who is called a brother of Jesus to me, The Sent One, The Holy Spirit.

Not, in detail here, there is much to be understood, from Theologians, many of them who actually seem to be here. They have a very good and wonderful grasp of the Trinity.

What is lacking, in them, is only not having a direct one on one God encounter, or several, and from that knowing more about the Trinity, because to interface with God directly in a communicative way, for God, seems to take place with God actually giving His Style of communcation also. In short, that style is He changes none of my words or concepts, but uses them, and everything else if from Him, to me.

The Trinity as God, is the first thing I saw, in a series of events that told me much about God. And for all of the Theologians here, I did not see the Face of God. I saw the essence of God. Now back to you.

As the years passed, I had to handle various items. One of the biggest, was actually in The Holy Spirit of God The Father, meaning that which is resident in Him, and The Holy Spirit as a separate person.

Are you ready? The Holy Spirit in God The Father, (The one I am mystically married to), and The Holy Spirit apart from God The Father, internally, is indistinguishable to me.

Imagine, you have a son, that is the spitting image of you. Imagine that he is like you in all ways. Imagine that when people encounter your son, they cannot really tell without looking, that he is not you, and you are not him.

With just the Holy Spirit part of God The Father, that is true.

The Holy Spirit as an entity, as God, is indistinguisable from The Holy Spirit that is also a part of God The Father.

Now for the theologians here. No. No, I am not saying three Gods. No. This is a very specific style of communication, that is being asked for. It is to be simple. As a result, all of my words are hopefully accurate, as I am human and make memory and description errors, but it takes more words, my words with my meanings, to say how God actually is. And the way He is, is precisely what you know, but it is also more than you know, now.

If you can understand, how God, Who is Trinitarian, as God and as a Person, internally as a person, like even you are a child sometimes, and a worker sometimes, and a parent sometimes, then in Personhood, you understand much about God, but the next point is to understand God as God.

God as God is like a Person as a Computer Programmer, or any trade, like doctor or Carpenter.

When a person is the job, the job is the person, and very indistinguisable from the job. Mary can do that job. Tom can do that job. God as God is like that. God is the job, and the job He does is God.

Does that make any sense?

I know some more, but as I am.

I am also tired now. But, the next part, I may make few errors on, or more, so please ask for clarifications or even contraditions, because I have no contraditions in living this life, with God or with anything written in The Bible about God.

Their idea, that three Spirit Persons who exist, one of which came to earth and picked up a human body, and in doing what His Father wanted, but what He also wanted, and that is true also of the other person, The Holy Spirit, that idea is pretty much in the Bible, as many people have figured that out.

Other than in personalities, they are identical in power, and in all other ways, but even in personalities that may not be totally true.

I still have to interface with Jesus, separate from The Father, separate from The Holy Spirit. I actually cannot feel whole, or complete without being with them separately and together at other times.

I asked God The Father one day, why I still had to hang out with Jesus, in order to be what I need to be. He said to me, because He is Jesus.

That part, I do now. Yet, that part is also helping me understand the personhood, and The Personhood of all of them. Jesus is a separate person, and although the personality of The Father in Him, is All of The Father's personality in identicalness, He Jesus is still a separate person, and that is what I hang out with, and that is what all people who God asks, that is what all people hang out with, with a varitation, Jesus is specific in what He shares of Himself, on earth.

On earth, we get the Crucified.....(really really sweet and loving)....Jesus who died for our sins, and in hanging out with Him, Biblically, or even in those Catholic Ways, with The Eucharist, in both way, we become more like that sweet sweet part of Jesus, and then we take that to the world, by accident, by association, because friends and companions rub off on us. And in our friends rubbing off on us, we share them with others. It is the same with hanging out with Jesus and God, in reading The Bible.

To understand, Jesus and The Holy Spirit, before one is begotten and the other sent. Try the next part:

So, in the simplest form. Do this. You are you. You also are energy, and the manipulator of energy. You are much like you are now, but nothing exists apart from you.

All is blackness.

All is nothingness, apart from you.

Then one day, you want to do something. Using yourself as that is all there is you give birth to you as a son, and actually you give birth in a way, to another son, but not called that, rather that one is called The Sent one.

In all other ways, Jesus and The Holy Spirt are identical.

They are identical in one more way. Jesus is identical to His Father, in that, nothing that was in His Father, unlike human children, is not in His Son.

Human children get parts from others. There are two on earth that make a human. Jesus only had parts from His Father, as there is nothing else then, to mate with. There is nothing else to have Jesus come from, but His Father, who is also God.

Even in God, that is there in Jesus, as nothing is left out, when he Begat His own son, when He birthed His Own Son. But, that is identical to The Holy Spirt also. The last part is not normally known.

Looking back to 2007, the Fall of it, I had to know those differences and more.

In human terms, Jesus is identical to The Father in power and exactness, So is The Holy Spirit.

Does that make any sense to you?

An example of the absurdities that I'm talking about would be the Trinity. There are some Christians who claim to understand the Trinity, but their understanding usually is a heresy.

Here is a list of Christian heresies. Most of them pertain to Christology:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_heresies

There is almost nothing anybody can say about the Trinity without being a heretic. The Nicene Creed is safe, because those words were approved by the church, but delving into the actual meaning of those words is very dangerous. Try to define those words, and you will find you stumbled into a heresy.

IMO, that means the Christology is absurd. Theologians view this absurdity as evidence that Christ confounds human reason.

I think you will find, each heresy had a reason to be a heresey. It was not the way it actually was.

LOVE,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, @katerinah1947 , that is interesting. I don't understand it entirely. It reminds me of Gnosticism a little bit. Of course Gnosticism is more elaborate. I gather that your description is based on some personal experiences. Gnosticism was apparently based on philosophy. So there are differences too.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Thanks, @katerinah1947 , that is interesting. I don't understand it entirely. It reminds me of Gnosticism a little bit. Of course Gnosticism is more elaborate. I gather that your description is based on some personal experiences. Gnosticism was apparently based on philosophy. So there are differences too.

Hi,

These are part of my life now.

Have you ever heard of historical accounts of people who have had a non dismissable encounter with God?

Just yesterday, I was telling my daughter, something. And in that conversation, I thought but did not say, as this is all so hard on others, I think it would be easier on me, if I was mentally ill.

Another person like me in a conversation I had with him in the early days, 2006, actually told me that for his set of up close encounters primarily with Jesus, yes it does seem like it would be easier if this was mental illness, but it's not.

Isn't it neat for you, that what you asked for happened? You may not believe it, but what you asked for coming to Christian Forums, a simple explanation of God, you have now.

Do you want any more information? As, far as God, goes, even with some errors, The Roman Catholics know a lot about God.

Being Roman Catholic, is no prerequisite for God. Being just and righteous is, where those two words mean the same thing.

For others here, just and righteous is always loved by God, and it's in The Bible, it always leads to The God and no other, in case you do not know that yet.

Also, in simple terms Roman Catholicism was Hi-Jacked in the time of Jesus, but it still holds more truth, 85% in Magnitude, than any other church on earth. At least that was true in 2000, which is the last time I looked.

More people like me exist, that God has personally dealt with on earth.

It is you that is important, here. You count. What will you do next?

Before, I just looked and was not satisfied as no one was telling me the truth. And even in Roman Catholicism as valid as it is, being the church that Jesus actually started, many Narcissists, wolves in Sheeps clothing as Jesus called them in Matthew 7:15-16, have and do distort the truth, Jesus also told people back then, that even with their best efforts they will never destroy that church.

What, He told us to do is this, when a person is in that Narcissistic way, recognizable by any form of meanness to anyone or any group, then listen only to what you know is true, and that will be virtually nothing of what those people say.

That, above was learned in a direct encounter with God.

And, for everyone else here, yes, that is a part of that approved private revelation, (the church words for direct encounters with God in some way or ways), by Father Matt, that took place over a two year period.

Some things, those no remorse types say, some things those 'wolves in sheeps clothing' say, some things are true, but they are there to get things from you, not give you things, and so their words are mixed, with their opinions, or the opinions of others like them, and sound wonderful, but they are false, and will hurt you later in the way they want to, which is you for them, not you for God.

LOVE,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
?

BTW, I am willing to admit that many concepts in science seem absurd or contradictory to me. I have faith that these concepts are not a problem for scientists or they will be resolved eventually. The difference is that flawed scientific knowledge can still be valuable. I don't know if flawed theology has much value, because it usually doesn't make any testable predictions.

Exactly like that. Those vital Christian doctrines are exactly like those mysterious scientific theories to you. Everyone is logical and reasonable.

You pick one and I will try.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Some have said, "credo quia absurdum" -- I believe because it is absurd/impossible.

Indeed, to a major religion (long history, many believers), it is a very very very good reason. And, strangely, there is only one such religion in this world ever.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Let's take salvation. Assume:
- not everybody will be saved
- nothing we do can make us deserve to be saved

I believe this implies that salvation must be totally ARBITRARY. God can't save somebody for saying the sinner's prayer sincerely, because that is a human work.

This one is actually pretty easy to "reason". It is totally a logic consequence.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
This one is actually pretty easy to "reason". It is totally a logic consequence.
This is like saying "the proof is left to the reader". ;)
This is a hard week for me, so I am too tired to think. I'm actually not very interested in the steps of your reasoning, but maybe others have the brainpower to discuss them. Don't waste your effort on me though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

These are part of my life now.

Have you ever heard of historical accounts of people who have had a non dismissable encounter with God?

Just yesterday, I was telling my daughter, something. And in that conversation, I thought but did not say, as this is all so hard on others, I think it would be easier on me, if I was mentally ill.

Another person like me in a conversation I had with him in the early days, 2006, actually told me that for his set of up close encounters primarily with Jesus, yes it does seem like it would be easier if this was mental illness, but it's not.

Isn't it neat for you, that what you asked for happened? You may not believe it, but what you asked for coming to Christian Forums, a simple explanation of God, you have now.

Do you want any more information? As, far as God, goes, even with some errors, The Roman Catholics know a lot about God.

Being Roman Catholic, is no prerequisite for God. Being just and righteous is, where those two words mean the same thing.

For others here, just and righteous is always loved by God, and it's in The Bible, it always leads to The God and no other, in case you do not know that yet.

Also, in simple terms Roman Catholicism was Hi-Jacked in the time of Jesus, but it still holds more truth, 85% in Magnitude, than any other church on earth. At least that was true in 2000, which is the last time I looked.

More people like me exist, that God has personally dealt with on earth.

It is you that is important, here. You count. What will you do next?

Before, I just looked and was not satisfied as no one was telling me the truth. And even in Roman Catholicism as valid as it is, being the church that Jesus actually started, many Narcissists, wolves in Sheeps clothing as Jesus called them in Matthew 7:15-16, have and do distort the truth, Jesus also told people back then, that even with their best efforts they will never destroy that church.

What, He told us to do is this, when a person is in that Narcissistic way, recognizable by any form of meanness to anyone or any group, then listen only to what you know is true, and that will be virtually nothing of what those people say.

That, above was learned in a direct encounter with God.

And, for everyone else here, yes, that is a part of that approved private revelation, (the church words for direct encounters with God in some way or ways), by Father Matt, that took place over a two year period.

Some things, those no remorse types say, some things those 'wolves in sheeps clothing' say, some things are true, but they are there to get things from you, not give you things, and so their words are mixed, with their opinions, or the opinions of others like them, and sound wonderful, but they are false, and will hurt you later in the way they want to, which is you for them, not you for God.

LOVE,
Another possibility is that your experiences are real AND you have a mild mental illness. This is what I decided for myself in some cases. Me being mentally ill does not prevent God from talking to me - in fact it might give God more reason to reach out. God likes the underdogs.

Upvote 0

Alla27

English is my second language
Dec 13, 2015
Idaho
✟16,656.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let's take salvation. Assume:
- not everybody will be saved
- nothing we do can make us deserve to be saved
I believe this implies that salvation must be totally ARBITRARY. God can't save somebody for saying the sinner's prayer sincerely, because that is a human work.
The solution offered by theologians is "the Lord works in mysterious ways", "we will understand it better by and by", etc.
There are two kinds of salvation. Did you know that?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is like saying "the proof is left to the reader". ;)
This is a hard week for me, so I am too tired to think. I'm actually not very interested in the steps of your reasoning, but maybe others have the brainpower to discuss them. Don't waste your effort on me though.

That is why I did not give you all the details at the first place.
Same for others.
If the audience is not interested, why should I bother?

Upvote 0

Alla27

Dec 13, 2015
Idaho
✟16,656.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No. I don't. And I am listening.
Jesus saved humanity from
1)death
2)sins.

1)salvation from the death. All people will be resurrected. All people will be immortal. There is nothing we have or can do to be saved from the death. We don't even have to believe in Christ.
2)salvation from sins. Only those who have faith in Christ will be saved in place where Gods live.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Jesus saved humanity from
1)death
2)sins.

1)salvation from the death. All people will be resurrected. All people will be immortal. There is nothing we have or can do to be saved from the death. We don't even have to believe in Christ.
2)salvation from sins. Only those who have faith in Christ will be saved in place where Gods live.

The first one is a default destiny. It is not a salvation.

Upvote 0

Alla27

Dec 13, 2015
Idaho
✟16,656.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The first one is a default destiny. It is not a salvation.
Jesus saved us from death. All of us. If He didn't save us from death we all would be in hell forever. Because Jesus saved us from death, He saved us from hell. All of us. Death = hell.

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Another possibility is that your experiences are real AND you have a mild mental illness. This is what I decided for myself in some cases. Me being mentally ill does not prevent God from talking to me - in fact it might give God more reason to reach out. God likes the underdogs.

Hi,

And a possibility that has been eliminated.

However, I find more God in those who are disadvantaged in any way, but take the high road, meaning they still maintain the highest ethics they can muster.

I even have the paper work, from a Ph.D. Level Psychologist with twenty years of working in The State Mental Hospital, from her stating, rather than a mental illness, my experiences are real.

While, I was there on only, whether I was Transgendered or not; she also looked at other issues, and other than what she calls a medical mystic, and Totally Transgendered, I have no mental illness in any category.

Mystic, high end Spiritual Person and being transgendered are not mental illnesses, they are just true, in some cases.

The paperwork protects me from any allegations to the contrary. Also, I have been cleared with the Roman Catholic Church, as speaking of real information on God, from personal encounters, and they all were with God and no other, source.

Not mental illness, Real.

LOVE,

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

And a possibility that has been eliminated.

However, I find more God in those who are disadvantaged in any way, but take the high road, meaning they still maintain the highest ethics they can muster.

I even have the paper work, from a Ph.D. Level Psychologist with twenty years of working in The State Mental Hospital, from her stating, rather than a mental illness, my experiences are real.

While, I was there on only, whether I was Transgendered or not; she also looked at other issues, and other than what she calls a medical mystic, and Totally Transgendered, I have no mental illness in any category.

Mystic, high end Spiritual Person and being transgendered are not mental illnesses, they are just true, in some cases.

The paperwork protects me from any allegations to the contrary. Also, I have been cleared with the Roman Catholic Church, as speaking of real information on God, from personal encounters, and they all were with God and no other, source.

Not mental illness, Real.

LOVE,
What do your family and friends think? When my father was getting chemotherapy, he became delusional. Afterwards, he told us that if that ever happened again, he wanted people to tell him that he was delusional rather than politely nodding our heads in agreement. With that in mind, you sound like you are having delusions. That doesn't invalidate your mystical experiences of God. You can experience God while you have a physical illness like the flu, so you can also experience God while you have a mental illness like delusions. Both can be true. I had delusions several years ago, so it can happen to anybody - just like anybody can get the flu. When you get the flu, you take care of yourself until you get better. I don't know the details of your experiences, but I wanted to give you my honest opinion FWIW.

Upvote 0