Are the Books of Jashar and Enoch apart of official cannon?

Justasurvivor

Mar 5, 2019
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟12,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I wouldn't have brought up these books if I don't have bible verses suggesting these books in the first place but I would appreciate if some of you could weigh this out with me.

Joshua 10:12-13 on the day the Lord gave the Amorites over to the Israelites, Joshua spoke to the Lord in the presence of Israel "sun stand still over Gibeon, and moon over the valley of Aijalon" and the sun stood still and the moon stopped until the nation took vengeance on it's enemies. Isn't this written in the Book of Jashar "so the sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed it's setting almost a full day".

Jude 1:14-15 and Enoch, in the seventh generation from Adam, prophesied about them "Look the Lord comes with thousands of his holy ones to execute judgement on all and to convict them of all their ungodly acts the they have done in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things ungodly sinners have said against Him".

the first verse mentioned the book of Jashar directly while the second verse "suggest" the book of Enoch because it never did mention in the book of Genesis that Enoch Prophesied. and the translation I got these verses from is the Holman Christian standard bible, so it would be neat if any of you that have different translations could validate if there's verses similar to these

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wouldn't have brought up these books if I don't have bible verses suggesting these books in the first place but I would appreciate if some of you could weigh this out with me.

Joshua 10:12-13 on the day the Lord gave the Amorites over to the Israelites, Joshua spoke to the Lord in the presence of Israel "sun stand still over Gibeon, and moon over the valley of Aijalon" and the sun stood still and the moon stopped until the nation took vengeance on it's enemies. Isn't this written in the Book of Jashar "so the sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed it's setting almost a full day".

Jude 1:14-15 and Enoch, in the seventh generation from Adam, prophesied about them "Look the Lord comes with thousands of his holy ones to execute judgement on all and to convict them of all their ungodly acts the they have done in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things ungodly sinners have said against Him".

the first verse mentioned the book of Jashar directly while the second verse "suggest" the book of Enoch because it never did mention in the book of Genesis that Enoch Prophesied. and the translation I got these verses from is the Holman Christian standard bible, so it would be neat if any of you that have different translations could validate if there's verses similar to these
You can go online and get just about every translation of the Bible.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
wouldn't have brought up these books if I don't have bible verses suggesting these books in the first place but I would appreciate if some of you could weigh this out with me.

Look in the index of your bible or in the list of biblical books in Bible gateway and you will see the list of what books are in the bible.

The books you mention are not there so are not scripture.

Check out coldcasechristianity and search for books of the bible for a account why they are not included.

Upvote 0

Justasurvivor

Mar 5, 2019
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟12,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Look in the index of your bible or in the list of biblical books in Bible gateway and you will see the list of what books are in the bible.

The books you mention are not there so are not scripture.

Check out coldcasechristianity and search for books of the bible for a account why they are not included.
do I search through you tube or is he forums member?

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was hoping for a discussion even if it's talking about why their mentioned.. but okie dokie thanks folks
They don't have to be canon to be inspired and useful, anymore than a sermon or book you read needs to be canon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2020
Queensland
✟14,297.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was hoping for a discussion even if it's talking about why their mentioned.. but okie dokie thanks folks

Hey,
So there are multiple external books/works referenced in the Scriptures (more examples = 1Kgs 14:19, 29 = not the books of 1/2Chronicles). The important thing is to realise that when the Scriptures mentions these by name OR quoting from them, that doesn't automatically 'in-Scirpturize' that whole external work. The parts that Scripture bring in, and how they are used (to make what point) - these PARTS enter into the inspired writings.

As a further extension to this concept consider that Luke 1:1-3 shows that he himself compiled his gospel from a bunch of other 'resources' (including written - v1), but it is not these 'resources' he used that are inspired (just because he uses them in writing his inspired work).

Also, as a fun side note on things that get quoted in the Bible, Paul even 'quotes' from poets of 'pagan' writings - Acts 17:28 - to make his point. A bit of a different one type of usage there, as more used to connect to audience from something that they correctly think about God and move them from there to the full truth.

I think the example in Jude is the most interesting since it was a work that was in Jewish regard, and obviously that part was accurate and important to bring into Scripture (according to God), but not the rest of it.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have not read Jasher for many years but I do have the book of Enoch and still read sections of it. It is an amazing work that should be really carefully read though. Precisely how I do not know but there are important truths that can be found within Enoch.

A major example is the greater details of what clearly seems to be God as seen as a Trinity of 3 Persons in chapter 48 (see:
Book of Enoch )and compare to Daniel 7. Not to mention an inherent, if (?) indirect, relation to the Trinitarian aspects of John ( especially John 14, John 15).

Enoch was clearly held in regard by ancient Christians:

Book of Enoch - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Upvote 0