Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Sure i would. I can clearly read scripture and know its true because God tells me. YES me! HES my teacher :), and i can clearly see that Catholicism isn't always true.
It's rather curious, the Passover, which was the occasion of the commencement of the Lord's Supper, remembered the Exodus. The meal was a lamb and the blood was put on the door posts. Just as Passover was a remembrance, so is the Lord's Supper.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's the clear meaning of the text, he says nothing beyond 'do this in remembrance of me'.
I'm usually indisposed to post long passages of scripture on CF. The reason for that is because 99% of people will skip right by it, along with my entire post.

This post will not be an exception.

Our Lord speaks at great length about His Body and Blood being literally consumed in St. John 6:31-68. As I say, I won't quote the entire thing here. But honestly, short of drawing pictures I don't know what more He could have done to express Himself in literal terms. Why is nobody I've traded posts with in this thread addressing this point?

St. Matthew 26:26-29, St. Mark 14:22-25 and St. Luke 22:19-20 all recount Our Lord blessing the bread and the wine. All three quote Our Lord saying "This is my body". How many dozens or hundreds of words is that? And, is typical, you're zeroing in on the only six or seven words from St. Luke's gospel that you think bolster your position.

This discussion (such as it is) grows tiresome. St. John 6:31-68. Address that or don't bother replying. Thanks.

• Agree
Reactions: Eloy Craft
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sure i would. I can clearly read scripture and know its true because God tells me. YES me! HES my teacher :), and i can clearly see that Catholicism isn't always true.
Golly, the Church Fathers discussed these matters, prayed over them, debated them and considered them for centuries.

And yet, with no help whatsoever from them, apparently, you figured it out by reading the book they compiled and gave to you. That's... whatever.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Golly, the Church Fathers discussed these matters, prayed over them, debated them and considered them for centuries.

And yet, with no help whatsoever from them, apparently, you figured it out by reading the book they compiled and gave to you. That's... whatever.
YOu claim the scriptures came from these men, but they couldnt even understand them, as you have stated above. How are they suppose to be my guides? I dont need any debate especially for centuries, i need only the simple Word.

Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. 26 Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

• Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's rather curious, the Passover, which was the occasion of the commencement of the Lord's Supper, remembered the Exodus. The meal was a lamb and the blood was put on the door posts. Just as Passover was a remembrance, so is the Lord's Supper.
Good point.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Without tradition, you really have no way of knowing that the compilation you call "the Bible" is made up of sacred scripture.
The apostolic tradition in the 2nd century was communicated as the rule of faith which later became the Creed.

We know the apostolic tradition because the early fathers pointed to them in Holy Scriptures. As Irenaeus said the apostles once taught in public and later wrote them down and he identifies the writings as Holy Scriptures "the ground and pillar of our faith."
CHURCH FATHERS: Against Heresies, III.1 (St. Irenaeus)

Church tradition is a term that is thrown around a lot but never defined. What are these traditions the apostles forgot to write down that were secretly passed from bishop to bishop? Irenaeus is clear throughout his Against Heresies there are no secrets or hidden traditions as the Gnostics held. He clearly called tradition the rule of faith which again is the Creed and one finds such in Holy Scriptures.

That covers the major doctrines of the faith. Now if you are arguing ecclesial traditions that may be even more tenuous. For example, did you stand for the entire Mass on Easter Sunday? I'm sure the answer is no because I know so as well. Most Eastern Orthodox do because Tertullian stated that doing so was received by the apostolic Sees. So there is a conflict.

Another is we celebrated Easter on 1 April. But the EOs do so on 8 April. Apparently someone received this non written tradition correctly and some did not.

So we have to be precise when someone pops the word "Tradition" because their are various kinds from faith doctrinal statements to whether or not leavened (Orthodox) or unleavened bread (Roman Catholic) are used for the Eucharist.

Why do the Eastern churches continue the blessed antidoron and the Roman Catholic church does not?

How did such a central doctrine of purgatory for the West not develop in the East?

Catholic sacred tradition does not allow priests to marry yet the Eastern churches do.

Who is faithfully adhering to the traditions received?

Maybe I can help arbitrate by using the Bible. ;)

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It does not mean they are dead. It means they do not have the fullness of spiritual life or the fullness of truth that Jesus Christ intended for His followers.

So protestants dont have fullness of truth but catholicism does? Who is the way truth and life?

I lack nothing. I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me.

Psalm 23

1 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm usually indisposed to post long passages of scripture on CF. The reason for that is because 99% of people will skip right by it, along with my entire post.

I do know what you mean, Bible study and in depth discussion can be elusive in some of these discussions.

This post will not be an exception.

I've tried to give your arguments a fair hearing, that's the best I can do.

Our Lord speaks at great length about His Body and Blood being literally consumed in St. John 6:31-68. As I say, I won't quote the entire thing here. But honestly, short of drawing pictures I don't know what more He could have done to express Himself in literal terms. Why is nobody I've traded posts with in this thread addressing this point?

First of all thank you for not posting all 68 verses, I hate that. :) I'm sure your aware the Jesus has just performed the feeding of the 5000 and they wanted to make him king. Jesus tells them you must eat my flesh and drink my blood, the disciples start to grumble among themselves. At the beginning of his discussion Jesus says this:

Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?” Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.” (John 6:28-29)
Toward the end of the discourse he drives home the point again:

The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life. Yet there are some of you who do not believe.” (John 6:63-64)​

He tells them, you want to make me king because you ate and were filled (if you'll pardon the paraphrase). He compares himself to the manna that came down from heaven during the time of the wilderness wanderings. They beheld so many miracles and yet most of them did not believe, they grumbled and Moses was all the time telling them they were stiff necked and rebellious. When it came time to enter the promised land I count only four who believed God would deliver the enemy into their hand, Joshua, Caleb, Moses and a gentile named Rahab (who by the way, appears in Christ's genealogy). Surely you understand that participating in the Lord's Supper is meaningless if you don't believe the gospel. So why is it so hard to believe that faith is sufficient to receive Christ. I would never disparage the honoring of Christ in our sacred rites, I actually love that about Catholics, would to God more Protestants held them in such high regard. My interest is a doctrinal one, appreciate your willingness to engage on the issues in a substantive fashion.

St. Matthew 26:26-29, St. Mark 14:22-25 and St. Luke 22:19-20 all recount Our Lord blessing the bread and the wine. All three quote Our Lord saying "This is my body". How many dozens or hundreds of words is that? And, is typical, you're zeroing in on the only six or seven words from St. Luke's gospel that you think bolster your position.

It's the same Passover dinner, of course the bread is his body. Jesus doesn't say it becomes my body, he is just saying it represents his body that is given for us. He is talking about the cross and the thief on the cross received Christ without being baptized or participating in the Lord's Supper and more importantly, was received by Christ, why can't we.

Ok, Jesus did say, 'this is my body' but he didn't stop there.

This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. (Matt. 26:28)​

The other quotes are very similar, remembering the blood of the covenant at the cross as a memorial and also in anticipation of the day when we will participate in the Lord's Supper after the resurrection.

This discussion (such as it is) grows tiresome. St. John 6:31-68. Address that or don't bother replying. Thanks.

Well I'm sorry you find it tiresome, I'm not trying to make this burdensome. I enjoy the reflections on the testimony of Scripture related to this doctrine. Notice he doesn't say this becomes my body, but that it is his body, indicating it represents his atoning sacrifice at the cross.

I realize your kind of running the gantlet here, there are a fair number of Protestants responding to your posts. I appreciate your willingness to examine the requisite proof texts and I'm not entirely unsympathetic to your sensibilities here. I hope we can continue to explore the testimony of Scripture on this matter, it's of greater meaning and worth then some can appreciate.

Jesus died for us, that's the meaning of the cross and the Lord's Supper. I don't consider that message to be burdensome and certainly don't want to be tiresome discussing it. To me it's the 'good news', I'm an Evangelical, this isn't a mindless ritual to be but an expression of the gospel. That simple expression of our faith in Christ and him crucified is more then enough to give that ceremony profound meaning. The bread to me is secondary to what it represents, that Jesus died for our sins. That is blessed hope.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jamesbond007

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2018
Sacramento
✟118,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If a friend asked you to remember him, would you frame a photograph of his bloody body at an accident scene, and stare at it? People (C or P) that are hooked up on that may just be missing everything Jesus lived for.

Eww... is that what the Eucharist symbolizes?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Theophan

Mar 3, 2018
Colorado
✟19,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I started this thread as a spin off thread from another thread i have going. As i was discussing the Lords supper, I was told by Catholics that Protestants dont actually partake of the real Lords supper. If this is true then doesnt that mean that protestants are dead, according to John 6:53?

John 6:53 New King James Version (NKJV)
53 Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you.

If you can answer how God will judge the nations that have never heard the Gospel, then you will find an answer to your question. But I suspect that you would be wise in affirming with St Paul, O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! (Romans 11:33)

Now, I say this in regards to ignorance. But if someone were to thoroughly explore the dogma of the Eucharist and then decide to utterly reject it as falsehood, they run the risk of bringing condemnation upon themselves. Even then, it would be foolish to make any absolute judgment on the matter since we are not the Judge, God is.

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My question is whether Catholics believe that Protestants actually observe the "real" Lords supper, as outlined in scripture, and if not do they believe that Protestants are dead because they lack the real Lords supper?
Seems like it would depend on what Protestants you have in mind. Lutherans believe a doctrine of the real presence that is not the same as the Catholic one but it still involves real flesh and real blood being consumed in the Lord's supper. Some Anglicans believe a doctrine of the real presence that is like the Catholic one. Orthodox Christians hold to a doctrine of the real presence that is similar to but not identical to the Catholic one. But Baptists and Pentecostals do not have anything even remotely like Catholic doctrine on the real presence. Obviously a Catholic would very likely think of Baptist commemoration as something quite unlike the Holy Eucharist and I think a Baptist would agree.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If you can answer how God will judge the nations that have never heard the Gospel, then you will find an answer to your question. But I suspect that you would be wise in affirming with St Paul, O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! (Romans 11:33)

Now, I say this in regards to ignorance. But if someone were to thoroughly explore the dogma of the Eucharist and then decide to utterly reject it as falsehood, they run the risk of bringing condemnation upon themselves. Even then, it would be foolish to make any absolute judgment on the matter since we are not the Judge, God is.
It's not that unusual for Christians to apply meaning to certain things without it being falsehood. I don't hold to the bread and wine being literally being other then anything other then bread and wine but I don't consider someone who does to be a deceiver. I just think a sensitivity to where they are coming from goes a long way.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This topic is not based on theology let's be honest, it is based on dogma.
Dogma is just a Latin word for doctrine, this is a doctrinal discussion. When there is an essential doctrine that's dogma, Protestants, Catholics and Orthodox all have them, and of course, should.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Theophan

Mar 3, 2018
Colorado
✟19,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not that unusual for Christians to apply meaning to certain things without it being falsehood. I don't hold to the bread and wine being literally being other then anything other then bread and wine but I don't consider someone who does to be a deceiver. I just think a sensitivity to where they are coming from goes a long way.

I commend you for desiring to cultivate meekness towards others who might hold different beliefs than you.

But we cannot do this to the extent that we compromise the Truth. Pontius Pilate asked Jesus, "What is truth?" The Lord gave no reply because that man asked a foolish question. The Truth is not a what; Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. You cannot say to me, "Christ created evil" and expect me to judge that you have not uttered falsehood. There is only One Truth, One Christ, One God, One Holy Trinity. If anyone says differently, we should rightly think thus: They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Like you said, it is important to be meek and sensitive and refrain from calling someone a deceiver or a heretic. This is not helpful in most cases, and I myself have been guilty of doing this far too many times, so I'm glad you brought it up; maybe by God's grace I will repent.

My point is this, even though people are unaware of it and do not intentionally set out to do it, whoever speaks contrary to the Truth is genuinely a deceiver and uttering falsehoods. We should not condemn them for it; rather, we should love them and gently try to coax them towards the Truth. But we also should not think that they do not speak lies.

• Agree
Reactions: jamesbond007
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It does not mean they are dead. It means they do not have the fullness of spiritual life or the fullness of truth that Jesus Christ intended for His followers.
I call baloney :p
Not sure if we've met Paul.
If not, good to meet you!
The "fullness" of Christ dwells in me. If I have the very Spirit of God Almighty living in me, dwelling with me, guiding me and comforting me, edifying me and helping me to pray, what then do I lack?
Thank you!

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I commend you for desiring to cultivate meekness towards others who might hold different beliefs than you.

But we cannot do this to the extent that we compromise the Truth. Pontius Pilate asked Jesus, "What is truth?" The Lord gave no reply because that man asked a foolish question. The Truth is not a what; Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. You cannot say to me, "Christ created evil" and expect me to judge that you have not uttered falsehood. There is only One Truth, One Christ, One God, One Holy Trinity. If anyone says differently, we should rightly think thus: They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Like you said, it is important to be meek and sensitive and refrain from calling someone a deceiver or a heretic. This is not helpful in most cases, and I myself have been guilty of doing this far too many times, so I'm glad you brought it up; maybe by God's grace I will repent.

My point is this, even though people are unaware of it and do not intentionally set out to do it, whoever speaks contrary to the Truth is genuinely a deceiver and uttering falsehoods. We should not condemn them for it; rather, we should love them and gently try to coax them towards the Truth. But we also should not think that they do not speak lies.
As far as the bread becoming something other then bread, I don't consider that a deception, more like a distraction. I tend to focus on the Scriptures, always thought that was the best way to go.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Theophan

Mar 3, 2018
Colorado
✟19,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As far as the bread becoming something other then bread, I don't consider that a deception, more like a distraction. I tend to focus on the Scriptures, always thought that was the best way to go.

Well, cease being distracted, my friend, and read the Scriptures, for they say: this is My body broken for you. And they also say, and this is My blood shed for you.

Moreover, they say, "I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say. The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?" (1 Corinthians 10:15-16)

Lastly, hear the Lord again:

52The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat? 53Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. 54Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. 55For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. 56He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him. 57As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.58This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever...

60Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it? 61When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you? 62What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? 63It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life...

66From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

What more do you want? Christ Himself and the Apostle Paul affirm that the bread and wine are the Lord's body and blood, truly and fully. Just as the Word of God became flesh through the Holy Spirit, Christ gives Himself to us through the elements of bread and wine. That this cannot be fully comprehended nor explained is the reason why the Eucharist is called a mystery in the Church, from the Koine Greek word mysterion.

Upvote 0

ChurchMilitant

A Christian(Traditional Catholic)
Jan 23, 2018
Ontario
✟12,022.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I dont need Letters to see error in Catholicism, all i need is the bible. Looking at all the division in theology, i prefer to keep things simple. Im not a traditionalist because i dont trust tradition, especially Catholic tradition.
How was your bible made? How do you know which scripture is inspired or not?

When it comes to the New Testament Cannon, it was fully established between the 300s and the 400s. This was during a time when there is clear evidence of bishops existing, and the structure being similar to how the Catholic Church currently is.

Also, since Saint Peter affirms the Church is the New Israel, the Old Israelites also had their bibical traditions, and traditions they used outside their Bible in the Judaic faith to go along with it. It isn't separate from Christianity

Lastly speaking, the men that were trained from the Apostles themselves affirm what the Church has taught.

Upvote 0