Are Physical Sensations During Prayer Wrong? (Feeling Heat)

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

Have you ever experienced a sensation when praying with closed eyes, that you're entering a "spiritual state", or something, I usually have "deep", powerful sensations when praying, like everything around is spinning.

Also sometimes my hands would become hot, and once my leg got fiery hot, never felt like that before.

Should we pray with all our strenght too?

Thusia Zao

Living Sacrifice
Dec 1, 2011
California
✟15,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is definitely sometimes a "feeling" I get whenever do any work of faith. There's peace and joy and relaxation whenever I talk to God, praise God, or give him any type of Glory.

Yet there is sometimes we might not have a "feeling" and it might seem rote. And that's when I ask God to "ignite the heart spark in my life" (from the song I love "Love come to Life" Big Daddy Weave).

Upvote 0

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is definitely sometimes a "feeling" I get whenever do any work of faith. There's peace and joy and relaxation whenever I talk to God, praise God, or give him any type of Glory.

Yet there is sometimes we might not have a "feeling" and it might seem rote. And that's when I ask God to "ignite the heart spark in my life" (from the song I love "Love come to Life" Big Daddy Weave).

Ok cool :)

Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes I have experienced these sort of things as well, it need not be 100% be accounted to God. Scientists have been able to track changes in brain function during moments of deep "spiritual events" in people like times of meditation, prayer and worship.

It is possible to do certain things that change the way your brain functions and causes a number of different effects in the body, from running, to singing, to rythym, etc... it changes what you feel and perceive because those things are determined by your brain.

I am not saying your experiences aren't God related... I am simply saying it is possible to link certain spiritual events to brain function. For instance scientists once monitored the brain functions of a religious man who said he commonly felt that during moments of deep meditation he no longer felt himself as an individual but he felt at one with the world.
Scientists were able to see drastic changes in his brain function during those times of mediation and those changes happened in the areas of his brain that cause us to be able to be aware of ourselves in an environment. There is a part of the brain that tells that you are you and that you are not the chair your sitting in, if that part of the brain stops functioning properly you would no longer be able to know where you as a person stopped and where your environment begins. Complicated I know... but anyway. Or blind people can sometimes look at a picture of hitler and not see him but they still feel angry for some reason... because their brain perceived what the picture was even if it could not make a picture of it for you to "see" and the response the brain made to the picture was anger... the person could not tell why they were angry but the brain was causing them to be angry anyway. Just saying the brain controls many many things.

It could very well be of God.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the title -- sounds interesting.

A few scriptures that relate --

oops have to come back later.

I know intercessors who get physically ill when praying at times -- on occasion it happens when they lay hands on a person, and can feel what pain the person feels. I don't know if this "referred pain" is scriptural, but the friends are diligent intercessors and well-meaning Christians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Have you ever experienced a sensation when praying with closed eyes, that you're entering a "spiritual state", or something, I usually have "deep", powerful sensations when praying, like everything around is spinning.

Also sometimes my hands would become hot, and once my leg got fiery hot, never felt like that before.

Should we pray with all our strenght too?
Do you have any physical problem in the leg that heated up?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps God did a preemptive strike on your leg.

I found this:

1. Burst of Warmth
Bursts of warmth are often felt as a confirmation that you prayer has been answered in the spiritual realm and all you have to do is wait to see it happen in the physical. I have felt this sensation when I have prayed many large and sweeping prayers as well as I have felt this sensation with smaller personal prayers. An example of a large and sweeping prayer is when I prayed for one of the churches I had attended to burn down (this is a long story and I did share it on my site so I won’t share it here). I felt the burst of warmth just after finishing my prayer for the church and true to form 3 weeks later the church burned to the ground just as God had requested me to pray it. I have felt bursts of warmth when I was praying over sickness that was healed and often felt the same burst when praising God and worshiping Him in song. These bursts of warmth are not to be confused with the bursts of warmth that are experienced with “Therapeutic Touch”, “Reiki” or other New Age practises. ‘New Age’ bursts even though in our physical body may feel similar than a Holy Spirit burst (that is why they are so easily confused) is complete different than a warm blessing send down from God our Father. This article will not go into detail how and why this is, I will save it for another article.
An example of a small prayer that gives the same sensation is for example when you ask earnestly for God to provide for you (financially, or physically or any other way). Answering your prayer with a physical manner is a way that he shares with us that He heard our prayer and has taken action for our request. Quite often at times our prayers are not answered in the ways we first expect, so keep your eyes open to how God answers your prayers. Sometimes when we ask for patience for example, God answers us with a new challenge that teaches us patience. He is an all wise father that knows how best to help us in our lives even though at times we may disagree.

2. Shiver
A Holy Spirit shiver is in my mind in the same family as the “burst of warmth”. This shiver is different than a shiver you might feel when scared by a scary movie or attacked in a spiritual manner. A Holy Spirit shiver is more like a the freeing shiver you get when you get out of cold water and shiver that last victorious shiver that brings forth a burst of internal warmth. It is like you are shedding the grips and hold of spiritual matters that once afflicted you. This can happen when you are praying for yourself, others and especially when others are praying for you. A Holy Spirit shiver often precedes a nice, lofty, burst of warmth. If you ever feel a cold attacking shiver while praying, this is a direct attack of the enemy.

Victory Over The Demonic - Sensations of Intercessory Prayer

Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I found this:

1. Burst of Warmth
An example of a large and sweeping prayer is when I prayed for one of the churches I had attended to burn down (this is a long story and I did share it on my site so I won’t share it here).
This is so wrong to pray in a negative way and I do not advise you to connect the warmth
you felt as having anything to do with any sort of negative answers to prayer
or to anything demonic simple because of one persons experience.

Are you interested in other opinions or are you in agreement with what you have already found?

Upvote 0

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is so wrong to pray in a negative way and I do not advise you to connect the warmth
you felt as having anything to do with any sort of negative answers to prayer
or to anything demonic simple because of one persons experience.

Are you interested in other opinions or are you in agreement with what you have already found?

I was more thinking about what he said about "Bursts of warmth are often felt as a confirmation that you prayer has been answered in the spiritual realm". But I don't know.

I don't believe the warmth I felt had any connection with anything demonic.

Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was more thinking about what he said about "Bursts of warmth are often felt as a confirmation that you prayer has been answered in the spiritual realm". But I don't know.

I don't believe the warmth I felt had any connection with anything demonic.
In the different healing ministries I have been connected with,
warmth or heat comes to the site where healing is taking place.

Warmth or heat in your hands is for healing of others.

Have you ever prayed for someone
by putting your hands on them and asking for
healing to come in Jesus name?

I would say that God wants to use you to pray for others
by laying you hands on them and in Jesus name speak
healing over them.

Pray about it and ask God to confirm or deny what I have told you.

Mark 5:23
and begged Him earnestly, saying, “My little daughter lies at the point of death.
Come and lay Your hands on her, that she may be healed, and she will live.”

Mark 16
17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons;
they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly,
it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Acts 28:8
And it happened that the father of Publius lay sick of a fever and dysentery.
Paul went in to him and prayed, and he laid his hands on him and healed him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the different healing ministries I have been connected with,
warmth or heat comes to the site where healing is taking place.

Warmth or heat in your hands is for healing of others.

Have you ever prayed for someone
by putting your hands on them and asking for
healing to come in Jesus name?

I would say that God wants to use you to pray for others
by laying you hands on them and in Jesus name speak
healing over them.

Pray about it and ask God to confirm or deny what I have told you.

Mark 5:23
and begged Him earnestly, saying, “My little daughter lies at the point of death.
Come and lay Your hands on her, that she may be healed, and she will live.”

Mark 16
17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons;
they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly,
it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Acts 28:8
And it happened that the father of Publius lay sick of a fever and dysentery.
Paul went in to him and prayed, and he laid his hands on him and healed him.

I laid my hands on my dad and he got freed from headache in the name of Jesus.

I think the idea of healing is great!

Yes :)

Upvote 0