Are Jehovah’s witnesses actually Christian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well if Martin Luther and John Calvin actually believed that St. Michael was our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (and I will say right now I would be shocked if they held such a view) which I believe is firmly disproven by scripture, this would not be the only time I find myself disagreeing with them. Calvin, for example, was an avowed iconoclast who regarded icons as idolatry, who denied the physical presence of Christ in the Eucharist, and was also opposed to the existence of the liturgical calendar, and was opposed to monasticism, and Luther thought, among other things, that the Roman Canon should be removed from the Eucharist, which had prompted other Lutherans since him to seriously degrade the quality of their Eucharistic liturgy with an unwarranted War on the Anaphora, or Eucharistic Prayer, and by the way, the Anglicans and Calvinists retained the Anaphora, so I have no idea where Luther was coming from, and Luther was also an anti-Semite, to an extreme and horrible extent, and he also believed he had the authority to insert a word into the Epistle of St. Paul to the Romans, and got away with it, while his desire to remove James, Jude, Hebrew, Romans and Esther from the Bible was thwarted. So I disagree with both of them, on a great many things, and so in the event you are right, well, that’s one more thing I disagree with them about.

I will say I’ve never met a Lutheran or a Calvinist who claimed Jesus and St. Michael were the same person, so if this was their view, it did not catch on.

As far as Bishop Robert Clayton is concerned, he was an Arian heretic, like the Jehovah’s Witnesses, who attempted to remove the Nicene and Athanasian Creeds from the liturgy of the Anglican Church of Ireland, and consequently was facing a trial for heresy at which he surely would have been convicted, deposed and probably sent to prison, given that Anglicanism was the State Church in the Kingdom of Ireland (which was in personal union with Great Britain, and would unite forming the United Kingdom around 1800) in the 18th century, however, he died of natural causes before the trial could begin.

I will also state the Anglicans and the Lutherans celebrate, along with the Roman Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox, the Feast of St. Michael and All the Angels on September 29th, also known as Michaelmas.

Lastly, as far as Charles Spurgeon is concerned, he is not one of my favorite theologians; the Baptists admire him but I am not a Baptist and I reject nearly all of his doctrines.

Umm yes. You were just shown from the scriptures, that Jesus being referred to as "Michael the archangel" from the SDA and early protestant reformers views are not referring to Jesus as a created Angel but as God in charge of the Angels. Everything else you have provided here in your posts is your opinion. If you disagree your welcome to show why you disagree from scripture. As far as the historical views of early protestant reformers provided in my last post agreeing with the SDA position it is there for all to see. It was not really needed though it was put there only as a by the way type of info. Now that you know what we really believe please stop with the misinformation pretending we have the same views as JW with Jesus being a created angel when we clearly do not. SDA's view Jesus as God and the God of creation and have never viewed Jesus as a created being.

Take Care.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Also whereas the SDA position that Michael always refers to our Lord strikes me as lacking in theological viability, I can understand the logic behind the Lutheran position, even though I disagree with it.

That is something you would have to prove from scripture. All you have provided is your opinion disagreeing with the scriptures already shared with you as well as the historical evidence that is in disagreement with you. Of course you are free to believe what ever you like but I hope you now at least have a better understanding as to what SDA's believe. We believe Jesus is God and the the name "Michael the archangel" being a name of Jesus represents Jesus as God who is in charge of the angels. We do not hold the view of JW's that Jesus was a created angel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well if Martin Luther and John Calvin actually believed that St. Michael was our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (and I will say right now I would be shocked if they held such a view) which I believe is firmly disproven by scripture, this would not be the only time I find myself disagreeing with them. Calvin, for example, was an avowed iconoclast who regarded icons as idolatry, who denied the physical presence of Christ in the Eucharist, and was also opposed to the existence of the liturgical calendar, and was opposed to monasticism, and Luther thought, among other things, that the Roman Canon should be removed from the Eucharist, which had prompted other Lutherans since him to seriously degrade the quality of their Eucharistic liturgy with an unwarranted War on the Anaphora, or Eucharistic Prayer, and by the way, the Anglicans and Calvinists retained the Anaphora, so I have no idea where Luther was coming from, and Luther was also an anti-Semite, to an extreme and horrible extent, and he also believed he had the authority to insert a word into the Epistle of St. Paul to the Romans, and got away with it, while his desire to remove James, Jude, Hebrew, Romans and Esther from the Bible was thwarted. So I disagree with both of them, on a great many things, and so in the event you are right, well, that’s one more thing I disagree with them about.

I will say I’ve never met a Lutheran or a Calvinist who claimed Jesus and St. Michael were the same person, so if this was their view, it did not catch on.

As far as Bishop Robert Clayton is concerned, he was an Arian heretic, like the Jehovah’s Witnesses, who attempted to remove the Nicene and Athanasian Creeds from the liturgy of the Anglican Church of Ireland, and consequently was facing a trial for heresy at which he surely would have been convicted, deposed and probably sent to prison, given that Anglicanism was the State Church in the Kingdom of Ireland (which was in personal union with Great Britain, and would unite forming the United Kingdom around 1800) in the 18th century, however, he died of natural causes before the trial could begin.

I will also state the Anglicans and the Lutherans celebrate, along with the Roman Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox, the Feast of St. Michael and All the Angels on September 29th, also known as Michaelmas.

Lastly, as far as Charles Spurgeon is concerned, he is not one of my favorite theologians; the Baptists admire him but I am not a Baptist and I reject nearly all of his doctrines.

I am not here to argue if any of the protestant reformers are heretics or not so you can have that argument with yourself as that would be another thread in my opinion. I think we are better off looking at what we all personally believe and pray that God will be our guide and teacher and guide us into His truth as we seek Him through His Word lest we end up being the very heretics we accuse others of being. Only God knows our hearts whether or not we are really in the faith of not. Lets not be afraid to examine ourselves according to the scriptures. I believe God's people are in every Church to be honest living up to all the knowledge of His Word that He has revealed to them. Let's pray God will teach us His Word and not seek to know God's Word through the eyes of others. Only Gods' Word in true and we should believe and follow them *Acts of the Apostles 5:29; Romans 4:3

Take Care.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
That is something you would have to prove from scripture. All you have provided is your opinion disagreeing with the scriptures already shared with you as well as the historical evidence that in in disagreement with you. Of course you are free to believe what ever you like but I hope you now at least have a better understanding as to what SDA's believe. We believe Jesus is God and the the name "Michael the archangel" being a name of Jesus represents Jesus as God who is in charge of the angels. We do not hold the view of JW's that Jesus was a created angel.

I wasn’t saying you did. I only disagree with your translation of “Archangel” as Ruler of Angels instead of Angelic Ruler, which was how the Early Church, whose command of the Koine Greek language surpasses that of anyone alive today, interpreted it.

I am not here to argue if any of the protestant reformers are heretics or not so you can have that argument with yourself as that would be another thread in my opinion.

Forgive me, there seems to be some confusion. Just because I disagree with some doctrines and actions of Luther and Calvin does not make them heretics, and I would not dream of accusing them of such.

However, the Anglican Bishop mentioned in your article was an actual Arian heretic, who had renounced Christianity and embraced a doctrine very similiar to that of the Jehovah’s Witnesses, and the Church of Ireland and the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland were preparing to try him for heresy, which would have resulted in his removal as a bishop, but he died of natural causes before such a trial could occur, and apparently it was not deemed worthwhile to anathematize him post mortem, which I imagine many other churches would have done.*

*In a rather grim moment that is probably looked on with some embarrassment now, but which did predate the schism with the Eastern Orthodox, the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Sale of Indulgences and the other really genuinely serious problems which would later largely be corrected in the Counter Reformation under Pope St. Pius V, who I do regard as a Saint for the improvements he made, even though I am not Roman Catholic, the Roman Catholic church once exhumed a dead Pope and put his decomposing remains on trial for various severe crimes. However, while this is, as I stated at the outset, a grim moment, I regard it as more eccentric and grotesque than sinister, and frankly there probably are many other Christian leaders guilty of financial misconduct, sexual misconduct or heresy whose crimes are such that exhuming their bodies for purposes of judicial proceedings would be an understandable response by their enraged victims, but charity and decency compel me to advocate against disturbing the entombed.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I wasn’t saying you did. I only disagree with your translation of “Archangel” as Ruler of Angels instead of Angelic Ruler, which was how the Early Church, whose command of the Koine Greek language surpasses that of anyone alive today, interpreted it.
Well that is something you would need to prove. I quoted the Koine Greek earlier but perhaps the misunderstanding is over how it is used in context to "Michael" (who is like unto God) "archangel" (chief messenger of chief of the angels).

Jude 1:9

Michael

Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew & Thayer Greek Definitions - G3413

Μιχαήλ Michaēl
Thayer Definition:
Michael = "who is like God"

Archangel

Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew & Thayer Greek Definitions - G743

ἀρχάγγελος archaggelos Thayer Definition:
1) archangel, or chief of the angels
Part of Speech: noun masculine A Related Word by Thayer's/Strong's Number: from G757 and G32
Citing in TDNT: 1:87, 12

It is pretty much the same in the original Hebrew although "archangel" is not used in the old testament.

Daniel 10:13

Michael

Combined Word Definitions, BDB & Thayer - H4317

Original: מיכאל
Transliteration: Miyka’el
Phonetic: me-kaw-ale’
Definition:
Michael = who is like God
Origin: from H4310 and (the prefix derivative from) H3588 and H410
Part of speech: Proper Name Masculine

PS. I do not believe in some of those teachings of those early reformers either. I just posted that old wiki list because it was an out of interest thing predating SDA views.

Take Care

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Well that is something you would need to prove. I quoted the Koine Greek earlier but perhaps the misunderstanding is over how it is used in context to "Michael" (who is like unto God) "archangel" (chief messenger of chief of the angels).

Jude 1:9

Michael

Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew & Thayer Greek Definitions - G3413

Μιχαήλ Michaēl
Thayer Definition:
Michael = "who is like God"

Archangel

Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew & Thayer Greek Definitions - G743

ἀρχάγγελος archaggelos Thayer Definition:
1) archangel, or chief of the angels
Part of Speech: noun masculine A Related Word by Thayer's/Strong's Number: from G757 and G32
Citing in TDNT: 1:87, 12

It is pretty much the same in the original Hebrew although "archangel" is not used in the old testament.

Michael

Combined Word Definitions, BDB & Thayer - H4317

Original: מיכאל
Transliteration: Miyka’el
Phonetic: me-kaw-ale’
Definition:
Michael = who is like God
Origin: from H4310 and (the prefix derivative from) H3588 and H410
Part of speech: Proper Name Masculine

PS. I do not believe in some of those teachings of those early reformers either. I just posted that old wiki list because it was an out of interest thing predating SDA views.

Take Care

I don’t need to prove anything because the Early Church already did, as does the meaning of the Hebrew word “Michael.”

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,768.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
By the way @LoveGodsWord your post made a misleading claim regarding Martin Luther; I just looked into the matter and it is clear that the Lutheran doctrine is actually much more nuanced: Michael is used to refer to Christ on some occasions and on other occasions, such as in Jude, refers to a created archangel. This view is also not universally held among Lutherans, with some, probably most, adhering to the more traditional Patristic exegesis that St. Michael always refers to one of the four Archangels (the others being Saints Gabriel, Rafael and Uriel).

I think the comments of @ViaCrucis and @MarkRohfrietsch on this issue might come in handy.

I have a great love for Lutheranism even if Martin Luther himself occasionally annoys me (and I do think he was well intentioned at first, and I think regarding some of his later questionable conduct, there is some strong historical evidence suggesting he suffered from poisoning from exposure to lead, mercury or mold, which would account for the disparity we see between the brilliance of the 95 Theses and the disturbing quality of On The Jews and Their Lies).

Also whereas the SDA position that Michael always refers to our Lord strikes me as lacking in theological viability, I can understand the logic behind the Lutheran position, even though I disagree with it.

You are correct regarding Lutheran theology.

Regarding Luther and the Jews; we need to remember the context of the times. Luther's writings (for those who take time to read and understand) make it clear that it was frustration at the fact that "God's chosen people" either did not, or refused to see the Light of the Gospel in our Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, and true God and true Man.

If he were writing on this today, his rhetoric would be somewhat different but the sentiments would be the same.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They reject the Trinity and do not see Jesus as God.

They believe Jesus died on a pole, his physical body was destroyed, and he later became St. Michael the Archangel.

They reject the physical resurrection of the Body, and believe the cross is an apostate symbol.

They have their own re-written version of Scripture.

According to CF standards, they are not.

I know they are not Christians because they don't accept Jesus as the Son of God, but wow, I didn't know that's what they believed.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
By the way @LoveGodsWord your post made a misleading claim regarding Martin Luther; I just looked into the matter and it is clear that the Lutheran doctrine is actually much more nuanced: Michael is used to refer to Christ on some occasions and on other occasions, such as in Jude, refers to a created archangel. This view is also not universally held among Lutherans, with some, probably most, adhering to the more traditional Patristic exegesis that St. Michael always refers to one of the four Archangels (the others being Saints Gabriel, Rafael and Uriel).
There was nothing misleading at all to what was shared with you. Where did I say that the Lutherans did not hold different views on the meanings of Michael the Archange in Jude? I never made those claims. I only stated that Luther among other protestant reformers held a view that Jesus has reference to Michael the archangel. It was a view held by Martin Luther among other early protestant reformer scholars. Here is a paper you might find interesting showing that both Luther and Melanchthon held this view. These were only provided to show that this was a view held by other protestant reformers well before the SDA Church.

Michael as Christ in the Lutheran Exegetical Tradition: An Analysis by Christian A. Preus

For Luther’s sermon dealing with Michael, see his Predigt am Michaelistage (September 29, 1544), in Martin Luther, Luthers Werke: Kritische Gesamtausgabe [Schriften], 65 vols. (Weimar: H. Böhlau, 1883–1993), 49:570–587 (hereafter WA).

For Melanchthon, see In Danielem Prophetam Commentarius (Basel: Bartholomaeus Westheimer, 1543), esp. 148. I have not been able to find a single Lutheran exegete of Reformation or Post-Reformation times who says that the Michael of Revelation 12 is not Christ. In his posthumously published notes on Jude, John Gerhard (or Gerhard’s son who edited the notes) calls it the opinion of the “orthodox,” by which he means, the Lutherans.

Take Care

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I know they are not Christians because they don't accept Jesus as the Son of God, but wow, I didn't know that's what they believed.
They take scripture and twist it

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
qoute:
Did John Calvin Really Teach that Jesus was the Archangel Michael?

An internet article called "Jesus is NOT God" argues that Jesus Christ is equated to the Archangel Michael in various places in Scripture. I was surprised to learn that apparently the Reformer John Calvin was among those who believed this. And here I thought Calvin was a staunch Trinitarian!

Here's the quote from Calvin from the article:

"I embrace the opinion of those who refer this (Michael) to the person of Christ, because it suits the subject best to represent him as standing forward for the defense of his elect people." - John Calvin, COMMENTARIES ON THE BOOK OF THE PROPHET DANIEL,trans. T. Myers (Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1979), vol. 2 p. 369.

Calvin's comment regarding "Michael" and Christ come only in reference to Daniel 12:1. It is significant that in this passage (and previously in chapter 10), Michael is not explicitly called an "angel," but rather the "mighty prince." If we consider Calvin's comments in context, it is clear that he is NOT saying the ANGEL Michael is Christ:

"Michael may mean an angel; but I embrace the opinion of those who refer this to the person of Christ because it suits the subject best to represent him as standing forward for the defense of his elect people....The angel...calls Michael the mighty prince. As if he had said, Michael should be the guardian and protector of the elect people" (Calvin, Commentary on Daniel 12:1, Lecture 65).

Most non-Trinitarians who quote this passage leave out the first 5 or 6 words, and thus make it appear that Calvin believes that the Angel Michael is Christ. However, the first clause, and the telltale "but" signal that this is not the case. Calvin believes that Michael, in the book of Daniel, is not necessarily the archangel (though he admits this possibility), and if not, Michael prefigures Christ in His role as Head of the church. Calvin implies a strict dichotomy: If Michael is an Angel, he's not Christ; if not an angel, Christ makes the most sense, given the context.

Elsewhere in his commentary on Daniel, Calvin says that the identification of Michael is open to question. In another work, he warns against too much speculation about angels in general, and specifically of trying to "ascertain gradations of honor" among them (Institutes, I, xiv, 8). He admits that some angels, including Michael, may seem to be placed in positions over their peers, but Calvin enjoins us to refrain from drawing any conclusions from this. His commentary on Jude 9 identifies "Michael the Archangel" as one of many angels ready to do service to God, not as the pre-Incarnate Son. His commentary on Hebrews makes it clear that Calvin views Scripture teaching that Christ is "above the angels" (Commentary on Hebrews 1:6).

So, the most one might say is that Calvin identifies Michael "the mighty prince" in Daniel 12:1 as Christ. Of course, if you convinced Calvin that this Michael was actually the archangel, he would abandon his identification of Daniel's Michael with Christ.

It is sloppy scholarship (at the very least) to imply that the Biblical evidence elicited Calvin's support of an archangel christology.

For An Answer: Did John Calvin Really Teach that Jesus was the Archangel Michael?

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
I don’t know if this is the right place to post the Thread. But anyway Are Jehovah’s witnesses actually Christian according to God? I think so even though i don’t like their shunning practices but do you think they Are Christian?

Tricky question. The JW's seem to believe all 66 books. But how they interpret those books is up to them.

Iesus says the angels will separate the wheat from the tares, Matthew 13:24-30... so deciding who is and isn't Christian is not our job. No offense meant.

Why not question them to their face about what they believe? and maybe make them question their own beliefs. Because some of them may know no other way, having been raised up in that church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tricky question. .
Judging False Teachers

Romans 16:17-18 ESV / 327 helpful votes
I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive.

Matthew 7:15 ESV / 303 helpful votes
“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.

1 John 4:1 ESV / 299 helpful votes
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.

2 John 1:10-11 ESV / 190 helpful votes
If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works.

John 7:24 ESV / 188 helpful votes
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”

Colossians 2:8 ESV / 185 helpful votes
See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

2 Timothy 4:3-4 ESV / 158 helpful votes
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.

2 John 1:7 ESV / 151 helpful votes
For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist.

Matthew 7:1-5 ESV / 140 helpful votes
“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

Matthew 7:16 ESV / 126 helpful votes
You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?

2 Peter 2:1-22 ESV / 116 helpful votes
But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed. And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep. For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment; if he did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, when he brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly; ...

Ephesians 5:11 ESV / 111 helpful votes
Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them.

John 8:44 ESV / 94 helpful votes
You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

2 John 1:10 ESV / 91 helpful votes
If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting,

Romans 16:17 ESV / 86 helpful votes
I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them.

Revelation 2:2 ESV / 83 helpful votes
“‘I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil, but have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false.

Galatians 5:22-23 ESV / 73 helpful votes
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matthew 7:1 ESV / 69 helpful votes
“Judge not, that you be not judged.

James 4:11-12 ESV / 57 helpful votes
Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?

1 Corinthians 2:15 ESV / 49 helpful votes
The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one.

1 Peter 5:8 ESV / 46 helpful votes
Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

1 Peter 3:15 ESV / 46 helpful votes
But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,

2 Timothy 4:10 ESV / 46 helpful votes
For Demas, in love with this present world, has deserted me and gone to Thessalonica. Crescens has gone to Galatia, Titus to Dalmatia.

Luke 12:57 ESV / 46 helpful votes
“And why do you not judge for yourselves what is right?

Deuteronomy 13:1-4 ESV / 46 helpful votes
“If a prophet or a dreamer of dreams arises among you and gives you a sign or a wonder, and the sign or wonder that he tells you comes to pass, and if he says, ‘Let us go after other gods,’ which you have not known, ‘and let us serve them,’ you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams. For the Lord your God is testing you, to know whether you love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. You shall walk after the Lord your God and fear him and keep his commandments and obey his voice, and you shall serve him and hold fast to him.

2 Peter 2:1 ESV / 45 helpful votes
But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction.

Matthew 7:15-20 ESV / 45 helpful votes
“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. ...

Matthew 18:15-17 ESV / 44 helpful votes
“If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.

2 Corinthians 11:13-15 ESV / 43 helpful votes
For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.

2 Peter 2:1-3 ESV / 42 helpful votes
But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed. And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.

John 10:10 ESV / 42 helpful votes
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.

Jude 1:1-25 ESV / 41 helpful votes
Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and brother of James, To those who are called, beloved in God the Father and kept for Jesus Christ: May mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you. Beloved, although I was very eager to write to you about our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints. For certain people have crept in unnoticed who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into sensuality and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ. Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe. ...

Romans 2:20-24 ESV / 41 helpful votes
An instructor of the foolish, a teacher of children, having in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth— you then who teach others, do you not teach yourself? While you preach against stealing, do you steal? You who say that one must not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? You who boast in the law dishonor God by breaking the law. For, as it is written, “The name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.”

Matthew 24:24 ESV / 41 helpful votes
For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.

2 Timothy 4:1-22 ESV / 40 helpful votes
I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. ...

Matthew 7:15-16 ESV / 40 helpful votes
“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?

1 Timothy 1:3-4 ESV / 39 helpful votes
As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia, remain at Ephesus so that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine, nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies, which promote speculations rather than the stewardship from God that is by faith.

1 John 2:27 ESV / 38 helpful votes
But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him.

Acts 17:11 ESV / 38 helpful votes
Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

1 Corinthians 5:1-13 ESV / 37 helpful votes
It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father's wife. And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you. For though absent in body, I am present in spirit; and as if present, I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did such a thing. When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus, you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord. ...

Matthew 24:11 ESV / 37 helpful votes
And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray.

Psalm 26:4-5 ESV / 37 helpful votes
I do not sit with men of falsehood, nor do I consort with hypocrites. I hate the assembly of evildoers, and I will not sit with the wicked.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 ESV / 35 helpful votes
But test everything; hold fast what is good.

Matthew 15:14 ESV / 34 helpful votes
Let them alone; they are blind guides. And if the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit.”

Psalm 1:1-6 ESV / 34 helpful votes
Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away. Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous; ...

1 John 4:1-6 ESV / 33 helpful votes
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already. Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. They are from the world; therefore they speak from the world, and the world listens to them. ...

• Winner
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1 Corinthians 10:15 ESV / 32 helpful votes
I speak as to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say.

Mark 13:22 ESV / 32 helpful votes
For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform signs and wonders, to lead astray, if possible, the elect.

1 Timothy 4:13 ESV / 31 helpful votes
Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching.

Matthew 7:1-29 ESV / 31 helpful votes
“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. ...

2 Timothy 4:2 ESV / 30 helpful votes
Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.

Titus 1:9 ESV / 29 helpful votes
He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.

2 Timothy 4:3 ESV / 29 helpful votes
For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions,

1 Timothy 6:3-5 ESV / 29 helpful votes
If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions, and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain.

1 Timothy 1:18-20 ESV / 29 helpful votes
This charge I entrust to you, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies previously made about you, that by them you may wage the good warfare, holding faith and a good conscience. By rejecting this, some have made shipwreck of their faith, among whom are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan that they may learn not to blaspheme.

Romans 2:1-3 ESV / 29 helpful votes
Therefore you have no excuse, O man, every one of you who judges. For in passing judgment on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, practice the very same things. We know that the judgment of God rightly falls on those who practice such things. Do you suppose, O man—you who judge those who practice such things and yet do them yourself—that you will escape the judgment of God?

Revelation 12:9 ESV / 28 helpful votes
And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

Galatians 1:6-9 ESV / 27 helpful votes
I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.

1 Corinthians 5:12-13 ESV / 27 helpful votes
For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? God judges those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.”

James 3:1 ESV / 26 helpful votes
Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.

Titus 1:13 ESV / 26 helpful votes
This testimony is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith,

2 Timothy 3:16 ESV / 26 helpful votes
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

2 Timothy 3:6-9 ESV / 26 helpful votes
For among them are those who creep into households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and led astray by various passions, always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth. Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so these men also oppose the truth, men corrupted in mind and disqualified regarding the faith. But they will not get very far, for their folly will be plain to all, as was that of those two men.

Jude 1:12-16 ESV / 25 helpful votes
These are hidden reefs at your love feasts, as they feast with you without fear, shepherds feeding themselves; waterless clouds, swept along by winds; fruitless trees in late autumn, twice dead, uprooted; wild waves of the sea, casting up the foam of their own shame; wandering stars, for whom the gloom of utter darkness has been reserved forever. It was also about these that Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied, saying, “Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of his holy ones, to execute judgment on all and to convict all the ungodly of all their deeds of ungodliness that they have committed in such an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things that ungodly sinners have spoken against him.” These are grumblers, malcontents, following their own sinful desires; they are loud-mouthed boasters, showing favoritism to gain advantage.

1 Timothy 4:1 ESV / 25 helpful votes
Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,

Matthew 24:4-5 ESV / 25 helpful votes
And Jesus answered them, “See that no one leads you astray. For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray.

Matthew 7:1-2 ESV / 25 helpful votes
“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.

Revelation 13:13-14 ESV / 24 helpful votes
It performs great signs, even making fire come down from heaven to earth in front of people, and by the signs that it is allowed to work in the presence of the beast it deceives those who dwell on earth, telling them to make an image for the beast that was wounded by the sword and yet lived.

Jude 1:4 ESV / 24 helpful votes
For certain people have crept in unnoticed who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into sensuality and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

Titus 1:11 ESV / 24 helpful votes
They must be silenced, since they are upsetting whole families by teaching for shameful gain what they ought not to teach.

2 Thessalonians 3:6 ESV / 24 helpful votes
Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is walking in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us.

2 Timothy 4:1-5 ESV / 23 helpful votes
I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

2 Thessalonians 3:14-15 ESV / 23 helpful votes
If anyone does not obey what we say in this letter, take note of that person, and have nothing to do with him, that he may be ashamed. Do not regard him as an enemy, but warn him as a brother.

John 14:6 ESV / 23 helpful votes
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Matthew 7:21-23 ESV / 23 helpful votes
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

Jeremiah 23:16 ESV / 23 helpful votes
Thus says the Lord of hosts: “Do not listen to the words of the prophets who prophesy to you, filling you with vain hopes. They speak visions of their own minds, not from the mouth of the Lord.

Deuteronomy 18:20-22 ESV / 23 helpful votes
But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in my name that I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.’ And if you say in your heart, ‘How may we know the word that the Lord has not spoken?’— when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You need not be afraid of him.

Leviticus 19:15 ESV / 23 helpful votes
“You shall do no injustice in court. You shall not be partial to the poor or defer to the great, but in righteousness shall you judge your neighbor.

1 John 1:1-10 ESV / 22 helpful votes
That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and have touched with our hands, concerning the word of life— the life was made manifest, and we have seen it, and testify to it and proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and was made manifest to us— that which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. And we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete. This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. ...

Luke 6:26 ESV / 22 helpful votes
“Woe to you, when all people speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 ESV / 21 helpful votes
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

2 Timothy 2:16-18 ESV / 21 helpful votes
But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness, and their talk will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, who have swerved from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already happened. They are upsetting the faith of some.

John 3:18 ESV / 21 helpful votes
Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

Matthew 7:6 ESV / 21 helpful votes
“Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you.

Revelation 16:13-14 ESV / 20 helpful votes
And I saw, coming out of the mouth of the dragon and out of the mouth of the beast and out of the mouth of the false prophet, three unclean spirits like frogs. For they are demonic spirits, performing signs, who go abroad to the kings of the whole world, to assemble them for battle on the great day of God the Almighty.

1 Timothy 6:5 ESV / 20 helpful votes
And constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain.

1 Timothy 4:1-5 ESV / 20 helpful votes
Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared, who forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, for it is made holy by the word of God and prayer.

Galatians 6:1 ESV / 20 helpful votes
Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted.

Deuteronomy 13:1-18 ESV / 20 helpful votes
“If a prophet or a dreamer of dreams arises among you and gives you a sign or a wonder, and the sign or wonder that he tells you comes to pass, and if he says, ‘Let us go after other gods,’ which you have not known, ‘and let us serve them,’ you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams. For the Lord your God is testing you, to know whether you love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. You shall walk after the Lord your God and fear him and keep his commandments and obey his voice, and you shall serve him and hold fast to him. But that prophet or that dreamer of dreams shall be put to death, because he has taught rebellion against the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt and redeemed you out of the house of slavery, to make you leave the way in which the Lord your God commanded you to walk. So you shall purge the evil from your midst. ...

Jude 1:3-4 ESV / 19 helpful votes
Beloved, although I was very eager to write to you about our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints. For certain people have crept in unnoticed who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into sensuality and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

Titus 1:10-14 ESV / 19 helpful votes
For there are many who are insubordinate, empty talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision party. They must be silenced, since they are upsetting whole families by teaching for shameful gain what they ought not to teach. One of the Cretans, a prophet of their own, said, “Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons.” This testimony is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not devoting themselves to Jewish myths and the commands of people who turn away from the truth.

1 Timothy 6:20-21 ESV / 19 helpful votes
O Timothy, guard the deposit entrusted to you. Avoid the irreverent babble and contradictions of what is falsely called “knowledge,” for by professing it some have swerved from the faith. Grace be with you.

Galatians 1:6-12 ESV / 19 helpful votes
I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed. For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ. ...

Hebrews 13:9 ESV / 18 helpful votes
Do not be led away by diverse and strange teachings, for it is good for the heart to be strengthened by grace, not by foods, which have not benefited those devoted to them.

Ephesians 4:14 ESV / 18 helpful votes
So that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes.

Matthew 24:5 ESV / 18 helpful votes
For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray.

Revelation 22:18-19 ESV / 17 helpful votes
I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

2 Peter 2:18 ESV / 17 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful
For, speaking loud boasts of folly, they entice by sensual passions of the flesh those who are barely escaping from those who live in error.

Titus 1:16 ESV / 16 helpful votes
They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work.

2 Timothy 4:8 ESV / 16 helpful votes
Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.
What Does the Bible Say About Judging False Teachers?

• Winner
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Judging False Prophets

Matthew 7:15-20 ESV / 26 helpful votes
“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. ...

Deuteronomy 18:22 ESV / 18 helpful votes
When a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You need not be afraid of him.

1 John 4:1-4 ESV / 17 helpful votes
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already. Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.

1 John 4:1-3 ESV / 8 helpful votes
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already.

Galatians 5:16 ESV / 7 helpful votes
But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

Genesis 3:5 ESV / 7 helpful votes
For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

1 John 4:1 ESV / 5 helpful votes
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.

James 1:5 ESV / 5 helpful votes
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.

1 Peter 4:12-19 ESV / 4 helpful votes
Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. But let none of you suffer as a murderer or a thief or an evildoer or as a meddler. Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name. ...

1 Peter 1:22-25 ESV / 4 helpful votes
Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart, since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God; for “All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls, but the word of the Lord remains forever.” And this word is the good news that was preached to you.

1 Corinthians 5:6-8 ESV / 4 helpful votes
Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump? Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed. Let us therefore celebrate the festival, not with the old leaven, the leaven of malice and evil, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Romans 12:1 ESV / 4 helpful votes
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

John 14:16-17 ESV / 4 helpful votes
And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.

1 John 3:5 ESV / 3 helpful votes
You know that he appeared to take away sins, and in him there is no sin.

1 Peter 3:18-22 ESV / 3 helpful votes
For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison, because they formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water. Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers having been subjected to him.

1 Peter 3:13-17 ESV / 3 helpful votes
Now who is there to harm you if you are zealous for what is good? But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God's will, than for doing evil.

1 Peter 3:8-12 ESV / 3 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful
Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing. For “Whoever desires to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit; let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayer. But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”

• Winner
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.