• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Featured Are dream catchers an idol?

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by friend of, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    47.5%
  3. Unsure

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+10,661
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Got Questions say much of the same thing you have said.
    https://www.gotquestions.org/dream-catcher-Christian.html

• Like Like x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Member since 2005 Supporter

+1,055
    United States
    Baptist
    Private
  3. GingerBeer

GingerBeer Cool and refreshing with a kick!

+1,315
    Australia
    Christian
    Private
    Dream catchers are (1) an ornament. But if a person believes the myths around them then they are (2) objects of superstitious pagan belief. They are in the same category as Horoscopes and lucky charms.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  4. PaulCyp1

PaulCyp1 Well-Known Member Supporter

+587
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    The definition of an idol is "something or someone that is WORSHIPPED in place of, or in addition to God". Do you know anyone who WORSHIPS a dream catcher??

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Strong in Him

Strong in Him I can do all things through Christ Supporter

+4,771
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Only if you let it be, and spend heaps of time, and money on them, or sit under them and worship some mystical and unknown power.

I had a friend once who was certain that wind chimes were occultic.
    I don't know what they are to other people, but wind chimes, to me, are bells or pieces of metal that knock against one another when the wind blows and sound quite pretty. I can't see why they would be any more occultic than bells on an animal's collar or in a bird cage.

But I guess if you have someone who is superstitious, fearful and/or who has dabbled in the occult, they may believe that they are unhealthy, and so their position needs to be respected.
    It reminds me of the passage from 1 Corinthians 8, where he says, basically, that meat is fine to eat if it has been offered to an idol, because an idol is nothing. But if someone believes otherwise, and seeing you eat meat would lead them into sin; don't do it.
    I used to have wind chimes in our house, but I took them down whenever my friend came to visit.

• Like Like x 3
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  6. Kersh

Kersh Well-Known Member

+384
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    No, an idol is something that is not God, but is intended to be worshipped as a god. Even when used in the context of Native American worship practices, I don't believe that a dreamcatcher is used in this way. Although it may sometimes be used as an instrument in the worship of idols, it is not in itself an "idol", as it is not itself an object to be worshipped.

But, is it wrong for Christians to possess, display, or use dreamcatchers? I would view this as a clear example of a Romans 14 issue. If your conscience bothers you when you use or see a dreamcatcher, stay away. If you know that a brother or sister is bothered by it, avoid it. But, if it doesn't bother you, and you have no reason to believe that it is bothering another believer (or confusing a non-believer (see, e.g., 1 Cor. 10:23-33)), then don't worry about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  7. friend of

friend of Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,046
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Sort of like an "if your use of a dream-catcher causes a fellow christian to stumble" then you shouldn't have it, sort of thing?

Actually, scripture says if said meat is offered to an idol then the Christian should Not partake in eating it because of the intention behind such a feast.

8. Kersh

Kersh Well-Known Member

+384
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Not quite, but close. It basically says that you have no obligation to educate yourself about any possible connection to idols. But, if someone, presumably a pagan, makes a point of letting you know the spiritual significance, you should avoid it, not as a matter of your own conscience, nor because there is anything wrong with the meat, but because of the message that it sends to the pagan who offered it to you. The problem with that passage is that it is specific to an issue that persisted in 1st Century Corinth. It can be tricky to apply the principle to other situations in 21st Century America. For the present discussion, I would apply it as suggesting that, if another person attaches a spiritual significance to dreamcatchers, avoid them in their presence, for the benefit of their soul and as testimony to them. But, if that is not the case, and there is no one who places spiritual significance to them in the picture, it's purely a matter of preference and conscience.

For reference, the passage discussed above is 1 Cor 10:23-33

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  9. Clint Edwards

Clint Edwards Active Member Supporter

+157
    Protestant
    Married
    No. An idol is only and idol if you believe it deserves worship.

10. JIMINZ

JIMINZ Well-Known Member

+1,687
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    Well now that you have been educated, there shouldn't be any more question in the lives of those posting to this thread.....Right?

11. Clint Edwards

+157
    Protestant
    Married
    A portal ? Do they need one to go where they choose ? I wouldn't have a ouja board for any purpose, they are ugly. But after all, they are just printed cardboard and and a piece of plastic. The stupidity and danger comes from assigning them power and validity to allow evil to play with your mind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. JIMINZ

JIMINZ Well-Known Member

+1,687
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    It's not an Idol in that sense, but is is part of the American Indian Belief System (Religion).

Would a Christian have verses out of the Quran framed on their wall because of the pretty calligraphy?

Same thing, it's what these things represent, it's association.

1Th 5:22
    Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  13. Kersh

Kersh Well-Known Member

+384
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Probably not, but if a Christian had a Quranic verse displayed because the message was consistent with biblical teachings, I wouldn't fault them for it. I wouldn't necessarily do that, but I'd respect another's freedom of conscience to do so.

14. Clint Edwards

+157
    Protestant
    Married
    Our JW friends tell us that certain traditions we have adopted for Christmas, are pagan. They are right. Are we wrong to have treeś, hang mistletoe, and have yule logs ?

15. JIMINZ

JIMINZ Well-Known Member

+1,687
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    You just don't get it, what else can I say.

16. JIMINZ

JIMINZ Well-Known Member

+1,687
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    Hmmmmmm?

17. Clint Edwards

+157
    Protestant
    Married
    What is it he doesn´t get ?

18. Clint Edwards

+157
    Protestant
    Married
    Answering a question with a question is needlessly redundant and serves no purpose.

19. PaulCyp1

PaulCyp1 Well-Known Member Supporter

+587
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    The definition of "idol"is something or someone you WORSHIP instead of, or in addition to God. Do you know anyone who WORSHIPS a dream catcher?

20. JIMINZ

JIMINZ Well-Known Member

+1,687
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    I can tell from your responses, you don't get it either, and I can't convince you, so what else is there to say.