• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Featured Are dream catchers an idol?

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by friend of, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    47.5%
  3. Unsure

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. Clint Edwards

Clint Edwards Active Member Supporter

+157
    Protestant
    Married
    No, I use reason and Christian logic, not superstition. Under the New Covenant symbols created from lifeless matter have no inherent power to harm me. People give these things power by believing they have mystical power not found in any other arrangement of molecules. Then they open their minds to the power of what they represent.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  2. Kersh

Kersh Well-Known Member

+384
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    And, ironically, money actually does possess power, at least in the context of a society that considers it to be something of value. Contemporary people can and often do rely on the power of money to give their lives meaning and to provide for their needs. Outside of possibly a few adherents of Native American religion, very few people in contemporary society, no one places any significant reliance on a dream catcher, and tbh, I don't know how much Native Americans really do.

3. JIMINZ

JIMINZ Well-Known Member

+1,726
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    Did I miss your answer to my question, have you read ever post to this thread or just a select few?

Do you place any spiritual value at all on things that are Amulets, Talisman,
    all of the sticks and feathers are immortalized in the form of sacred charms.

4. Clint Edwards

+157
    Protestant
    Married
    Correct, but a dollar bill in your wallet has no inherent evil power to harm you because the all seeing eye is printed on it, not unless you believe it does.

A dreamcatcher is a form in space and time usually made from sticks, feathers and yarn, and maybe other stuff I don´t know about. Sticks feathers and yarn can´t harm you, unless you give them the power that some might believe they represent and have.

5. JIMINZ

JIMINZ Well-Known Member

+1,726
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    Like I said what seems to be a lifetime ago, you don't get it, and there isn't anything I could say to change that, therefore.

What else can I say.

Go in Peace.
    END OF TRAnsmissssiiiioooonnn. :wave:

6. Kersh

Kersh Well-Known Member

+384
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    The point is that we get it, and we disagree with you. Brothers and sisters can disagree even when they understand each other just fine.

7. Clint Edwards

+157
    Protestant
    Married
    Nope. They are objects. They haven´t been filled with bad ju ju by some pagan priest. I find some unpleasant, so I wouldn´t want them around, but they don´t have a boogeyman in them. I once had an ancient Egyptian small statue of a lion, a religious symbol to them, a pretty representation of a lion to me. I had and enjoyed it for years, but lost it somehow in a move. It never scared me, or channeled an evil spirit into my home. It was a shaped rock. IF I believed it possessed this power the evil spirits could have used that belief to mess with my mind. I give them the opening, not the rock.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Clint Edwards

+157
    Protestant
    Married
    Ditto, you don´t get it either. Be careful in the forest, the tree god might get you.

9. Clint Edwards

+157
    Protestant
    Married

10. Kersh

Kersh Well-Known Member

+384
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I think it would be fair to say that if I had a friend or relative who had been exposed to Native American religion or spirituality to the point that they were genuinely conflicted about whether or not a DC has some sort of mystical power or energy, it would be supremely cruel of me to have them over to my home and show them my DC collection or to even have a DC on display. I would accept that, even though the object itself is powerless, demonic forces can and do work through a person's superstitions or uneasiness surrounding it. I would also question whether it is right to take something from another culture that has a specific meaning within that culture and use it as a mere decoration devoid of that culture's meaning. But, that would not be an issue of idolatry, but of cultural appropriation (which also is not clearly spoken about in Scripture, other than in the general command to love one another).

• Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. friend of

friend of Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,056
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Looks like we have a DC enthusiast in our midst! lol

12. friend of

friend of Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,056
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I think this is all the other side is really saying in this argument.

13. JIMINZ

JIMINZ Well-Known Member

+1,726
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    YEAH ! ! ! :clap: :oldthumbsup: :wave: :tutu: :amen:

14. Kersh

Kersh Well-Known Member

+384
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    LOL. I wondered if it would be interpreted that way, but no, I am not an enthusiast. I think my son has one in his room that my wife bought for him a couple of years ago. Other than that, I've never owned one. The quoted sentence was intended as a hypothetical.

15. Kersh

Kersh Well-Known Member

+384
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    LOL. Not so much.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Kersh

Kersh Well-Known Member

+384
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    If that is what was being said, I'd agree with that. In fact, if I knew JIMINEZ irl and had him over to my house, I would probably, out of kindness and respect remove the DC that is in my son's room because of the beliefs that he holds about them. But, I'm not going to say that my wife did something wrong by buying one for my son and hanging it in his room.

17. Clint Edwards

+157
    Protestant
    Married
    I would think that disrespecting an object that has religious meaning to someone else would be wrong. Exposing someone to an object they believe has mystical powers, perhaps evil power, would be wrong. Cultural appropriation has been around since the dawn of multiple cultures. I don´t have an opinion of it.

18. Kersh

Kersh Well-Known Member

+384
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I have genuinely mixed feelings about cultural appropriation. My dad, who was a pastor, regularly wore stoles in African prints that he got when he went on mission trips to Liberia. Some people today, would say that for a white American to do that is disrespectful, but I genuinely believe that his intent was quite the opposite. Nonetheless, there are some people who take umbrage to majority culture folk wearing traditional garb from minority cultures, and I suppose I would treat that with the same sensitivities as the DC/idolatry issue: it's simply a Romans 14 issue -- each person should do what his or her conscience dictates and respect the choices of others.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+10,699
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    gotquestions.com is a good Christian site and they always quote scripture. Here's the one I posted earlier in this thread about dream catchers. I was surprised that they had an article about it so it must be a fairly common question.
    https://www.gotquestions.org/dream-catcher-Christian.html

20. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+10,699
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    It can't be cultural appropriations when Native Americans sell them as artwork along with pottery, rugs, beaded items, etc.