Are Devoted Christians Leaving the local Church?

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This pandemic is forcing people to seek the truth. God is having mercy on us, because he is giving us the opportunity to wake up and see the truth. This is 1 Corinthians 3. People have set up there own churches, which are a body by itself. Come out from under that religious spirit, and let the holy spirit teach you. They are under another covering.

I so agree and believe we are going through this for a reason so we will learn to appreciate the small things better.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I so agree and believe we are going through this for a reason so we will learn to appreciate the small things better.

I don't believe
God sent this pandemic but I believe he has allowed it. I think God doesn't subject His children to end times wrath but I believe He allows us to be refined by it

Upvote 0

Childofgodharrison

Aug 27, 2018
Abilene
✟34,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe
God sent this pandemic but I believe he has allowed it. I think God doesn't subject His children to end times wrath but I believe He allows us to be refined by it
I believe that it is the rider on the pale horse in revelations followed by hades. Everything that happens on the earth happens in the spiritual realm first. Part of this is judgement. God is getting tired of the lawlessness. By lawlessness I mean loving all the idolatry of the world, and not living by spirit and truth.

Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
oh I am not the ant I man sort of woman... I am not a man hater. But I do believe there is nothing in God's word against women having jobs or choosing to not have children or husbands. I don't see those things being against God's word...I don't support abortion in most cases but I do think it ok.for women to control family size for sale of their health. also I believe in supporting women who are verbally or emotionally or physically harmed by their partner to divorce them. Same for men in that situation too. maybe that makes me a lukewarm Laoedician Christian but i don't think God is hung up on these issues to be honest.

Contraception and rejecting marriage in favour of a career are very small sins really if they are sins at all, and not real salvation issues...
I'm glad you are not a man-hater. Equality is definitely desirable. I can agree on many of your points. Though I'm a bit more traditional on other points. Blessings!

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So, to reject hetero adultery is the same thing as rejecting women, now?

If I understood @hedrick correctly, his point was more about rigid gender roles, hierarchy and so on.

On topic, I see that some devoted Christians are becoming frustrated that their local congregations are - to put it bluntly - ineffective in mission. Oh, they run a nice Sunday service of whatever particular flavour, but they are inward focussed, wanting to please the existing members; not looking to reach out, build new relationships, forge new community connections, and proclaim the gospel, teach and nurture, serve their communities, etc. These people don't just want word and sacrament, they want to offer their gifts in meaningful service, and their churches are not providing them with ways to do that. So they end up finding other avenues to make a difference.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
What I meant by being hostile to women is refusing to ordain them, although some denominations go further than that. I can't imagine why rejecting adultery would be sexist.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can't imagine why rejecting adultery would be sexist.
They should be... just as hostile to women and gays as in the past.
I was equating homosexuality to hetero adultery.

When you said,
"They should be just as hostile to women and gays as in the past,"
it sounded (to my ear) like,
"They should be just as hostile to women and adulterers as in the past,"
putting womanhood on the same level as sexual sin.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,908.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I was equating homosexuality to hetero adultery.

When you said,
"They should be just as hostile to women and gays as in the past,"
it sounded (to my ear) like,
"They should be just as hostile to women and adulterers as in the past,"
putting womanhood on the same level as sexual sin.
Wow. I thought it was obvious that these groups refuse to ordain women and gays. Clearly I should have been more explicit.

Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought it was obvious that these groups refuse to ordain women and gays.
...and other adulterers. :eek:
Clearly I should have been more explicit.
full
(I don't think that you could have been.)

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't believe

I believe that too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What I meant by being hostile to women is refusing to ordain them, although some denominations go further than that. I can't imagine why rejecting adultery would be sexist.
I

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm glad you are not a man-hater. Equality is definitely desirable. I can agree on many of your points. Though I'm a bit more traditional on other points. Blessings!
I

That's just it though. Many of our points 're just that, opinions. They don't deal or contradict Scripture necessarily so they aren't something God is worried about, I guess

like those churches who insist women shouldn't work and that all women should bear children and marry. Neither of these things are mentioned in the commandments of God for all believers for all time so we are free to form out own opinions on these subjects

• Agree
Reactions: HappyHope
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was involved in a Christian movement that said girls should not go to college but live with their parents until married, that only men should work, that deciding to be single is sinful unless you are called to be a nun, that for a couple to refuse to procreate is sinful etc all these things are man's opinions not God's opinions and were cultural inn the biblical times. God accepts these traditions and has no issue with them but they aren't mandatory either....

The words of Jesus, the commandments etc do not real with these things...a an opinion either way is fine.

• Agree
Reactions: HappyHope
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If I understood @hedrick correctly, his point was more about rigid gender roles, hierarchy and so on.

On topic, I see that some devoted Christians are becoming frustrated that their local congregations are - to put it bluntly - ineffective in mission. Oh, they run a nice Sunday service of whatever particular flavour, but they are inward focussed, wanting to please the existing members; not looking to reach out, build new relationships, forge new community connections, and proclaim the gospel, teach and nurture, serve their communities, etc. These people don't just want word and sacrament, they want to offer their gifts in meaningful service, and their churches are not providing them with ways to do that. So they end up finding other avenues to make a difference.

I agree with this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Wives should obey their husbands is a command. And husbands love their wives.... But the rest of it isn't written for all believers for all times.
But "the rest" does have support from one verse or another in Scripture, just as the admonition you are referring to here does. That's the problem with a lot of church policies that people dismiss as "manmade."

For one person or church, X,Y and Z are commanded by the Bible but not A, B and C. To the next church it's the other way around. And to the Amish or some others it may be A,B,C,X,Y and Z. ;)

It's possible to determine which beliefs or practices are "in" and which are "out," but it's not as simple as a lot of folks seem to think.

Reactions: yellowMan
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But "the rest" does have support from one verse or another in Scripture, just as the admonition you are referring to here does. That's the problem with a lot of church policies that people dismiss as "manmade."

For one person or church, X,Y and Z are commanded by the Bible but not A, B and C. To the next church it's the other way around. And to the Amish or some others it may be A,B,C,X,Y and Z. ;)

It's possible to determine which beliefs or practices are "in" and which are "out," but it's not as simple as a lot of folks seem to think.

There are no verses saying women shouldn't work

No verses saying a woman cannot leave her parents home even if still single

no verses saying women can't study

no verses saying celibacy is wrong. Being a wife and mother is the highest calling for a woman but one isn't sinning by refusing it

God doesn't consider me a winner for not having desires for a p partner and c hildren. He knows am not suited to those roles because He made me

Upvote 0