Ken Reetz

Oct 8, 2015
Beaverton, OR
✟7,717.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely! Contingent, of course, upon the proper definition of both terms, Christian and Success.

If my reading of scripture is correct the true Christian will define success as being in the will and purpose of God. That will and purpose will include many common certainties, but will also include different paths in life for you, me, and everyone else.

Mother Teresa gave a good part of her life's work to the poorest of the poor in Calcutta India - rejecting a life of ease and comfort that she had earlier known. Was she less successful than Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, or Steve Jobs?

Somewhere in between those extreme examples will be found your life and mine. We can define our level of success any way we want, but in the end only one definition will matter.

What does success mean to you?

Last edited:

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely! Contingent, of course, upon the proper definition of both terms, Christian and Success.

If my reading of scripture is correct the true Christian will define success as being in the will and purpose of God. That will and purpose will include many common certainties, but will also include different paths in life for you, me, and everyone else.

Mother Teresa gave a good part of her life's work to the poorest of the poor in Calcutta India - rejecting a life of ease and comfort that she had earlier known. Was she less successful than Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, or Steve Jobs?

Somewhere in between those extreme examples will be found your life and mine. We can define our level of success any way we want, but in the end only one definition will matter.

There is a huge difference between material success and spiritual success and progress. The Bible is all about spiritual matters.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a huge difference between material success and spiritual success and progress. The Bible is all about spiritual matters.
You just might be surprised at how often Jesus very directly addressed our material and physical needs.

Reactions: sunsurfkdt
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Continuously growing in the Lord. Not allowing my self to stagnant, in any aspect of my life.
Peter in his Second Epistle, ch. 3, writes of growing 'in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ'. It's a continuous thing that can and should happen!

Reactions: BeStill&Know
Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Union with the Anointed One Jesus. Being guided by His Spirit (breath.)
Prosperity is a blessing from the Father to those who use it for His people, as Jesus did. Poor, homeless, widows, orphans. Prosperity is a trap, for those who use it on themselves.

Reactions: sunsurfkdt
Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Wow! You frightened me right there with that first word! I was shouting like, ‘What? No, he isn't! Jesus never promised we would be successful! Gosh! Is this pastor advocating that ridiculous prosperity gospel? Gosh!’ I'm glad you kept on writing!

Indeed, we should consider ourselves successfully only if we are able to please the Lord, not if we get things we deem good in this life. You have properly attacked the root of the problem! :)

Upvote 0

Ken Reetz

Oct 8, 2015
Beaverton, OR
✟7,717.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You just might be surprised at how often Jesus very directly addressed our material and physical needs.

I think you're right, Christ does address every need. That would include prosperity for some, maybe less prosperity for others.

I remember being frustrated with God because I had a series of setbacks that made no sense - it felt that God had completely forgotten and abandoned me, maybe even set His wrath against me. I prayed for some business matters that should have worked out wonderfully, but just dissolved before my eyes.

After some complaining to God, and more earnest prayer, the answer hit me with full force. God was giving me the greatest gift possible at the time - the realization that I needed something else much more. I needed to see the idols in my life and turn fully to God, I needed to trust him regardless of circumstances, I needed to believe in his promises in spite of how I felt. So happy that He loves me enough to do what is necessary in my life instead of indulging my ideas of what I need.

Thank you for your reply. God truly does address our needs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Reetz

Oct 8, 2015
Beaverton, OR
✟7,717.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow! You frightened me right there with that first word! I was shouting like, ‘What? No, he isn't! Jesus never promised we would be successful! Gosh! Is this pastor advocating that ridiculous prosperity gospel? Gosh!’ I'm glad you kept on writing!

Indeed, we should consider ourselves successfully only if we are able to please the Lord, not if we get things we deem good in this life. You have properly attacked the root of the problem! :)

Thank you for replying. Yes, only one definition for success matters.

Upvote 0

Ken Reetz

Oct 8, 2015
Beaverton, OR
✟7,717.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Continuously growing in the Lord. Not allowing my self to stagnant, in any aspect of my life.

Heard somewhere that we will be studying the gospel of Christ throughout eternity. I think that is true - will pray for your success.

Upvote 0

MaxR1996

Sep 8, 2015
✟929.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

In the end you can't keep any of the money from this world so why bother or be covetous to others with more money.

To me success is being right with god, accepting Jesus as your lord and savior, and following your passion.

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."

The time we spend on this world is SO short, our eternal destiny is far more important.

"For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?"

Upvote 0

Steven Wood

Not my will but Thy will be done
Jul 17, 2015
Arkansas, United States
✟18,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Rev 3:16-17 goes hand in hand with Matt 6:22-24. You can't serve God and wealth and if you do, you'll be a lukewarm Christian and be spit out. Even more JESUS said in 16:24 "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. I don't think of the word "deny" in terms that we think of it. It sounds so negative but it's really not. A parent denies themselves everything for the needs of their children out of love. But what we have wrong is some Christians read passages about giving things here to get rewards in heaven and they do it just for that. JESUS didn't die for us to get rewards in he did it because he loved us. If we're to be Christ-like and to give we shouldn't do it just to get treasures in heaven. We need to do it because we see a need that needs to be filled not hoping to get anything from it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sunsurfkdt

Nov 29, 2015
US
✟15,783.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I think you're right, Christ does address every need. That would include prosperity for some, maybe less prosperity for others.

I remember being frustrated with God because I had a series of setbacks that made no sense - it felt that God had completely forgotten and abandoned me, maybe even set His wrath against me. I prayed for some business matters that should have worked out wonderfully, but just dissolved before my eyes.

After some complaining to God, and more earnest prayer, the answer hit me with full force. God was giving me the greatest gift possible at the time - the realization that I needed something else much more. I needed to see the idols in my life and turn fully to God, I needed to trust him regardless of circumstances, I needed to believe in his promises in spite of how I felt. So happy that He loves me enough to do what is necessary in my life instead of indulging my ideas of what I need.

Thank you for your reply. God truly does address our needs.
Praise G-d

Upvote 0