Status
Not open for further replies.

judge

Sep 19, 2002
Visit site
✟318.00
Faith
Christian
When translating the aramaic new testament into english Aramaic speakers such as Victor Alexander tell us that at times certain phrases in Aramaic are not to be taken literally, but rather are idiomatic constructions.

An example would be Matthew 8:21

Another disciple said to him, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father."

Victor informs us that in Aramaic this phrase does not mean that the mans father is already dead. In hos translation avaliable here. http://www.v-a.com/bible/matthew.html
He includes the following footnote.

*8:21 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression retained: "Then let me go and take care of my father until he is dead [and then I will follow you.]".

Another example would be Matthew 17:15
Lord, have mercy on my son," he said. "He has seizures and is suffering greatly. He often falls into the fire or into the water.

This does not mean that the boy fell into fire or water but that he had hot and cold fevers.
Victors translation is as follows.
"My Lord, have mercy on me. My son is a paralytic and in terrible condition.* He is sometimes burning with fever and other times he is shivering as though he were immersed in water.*

with the following footnote.
**17:15.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "For many seasons he falls in fire, and many seasons he falls in water."

If these phrases are known to aramaic speakers as idioms with non literal meanings should we read them the same? They both seem to make more sense if we read them as Victor translates them (to me at least). Any thoughts?

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
No thoughts on that question, sorry, but if somebody is intrested in this translation, I have 3 of them, 2 of which are unused, and I'll sell to anyone interested, preferably Europe because of the postage cost

Upvote 0

clinzey

Jan 9, 2004
California
✟16,044.00
Faith
Protestant
judge said:
If these phrases are known to aramaic speakers as idioms with non literal meanings should we read them the same?

Judge,
No, I don't think that we should read them the same as we would read them with literal meanings. This has several implications for us as modern readers -
1. Because the Bible was written in a language not our own or a time not our own we must not read naively. We must actually take time to understand what was being said in the context in which it was said.
2. This leads us to the realization that there is no such thing as simple Bible study. Bible study needs to involve something deeper than a casual read. It also means that we cannot sit down with the Bible alone and hope to understand everything it is trying to say. We need assistance. This is why I highly recommend a good Bible backgrounds commentary or Bible dictionary when reading for understanding.

But I must say, you have an excellent point and good question.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.