Visit site
✟83,567.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible does not specifically mention that Jesus took up the trade of his earthly father, Joseph. However, based on cultural and historical context, it is commonly believed that he did. Mark 6:

3 Isn’t this the carpenter [tektōn]? Isn’t this Mary’s son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren’t his sisters here with us?” And they took offense at him.
BDAG τέκτων:

one who constructs, builder, carpenter
Wiki:

In modern scholarship, the word has sometimes been re-interpreted from the traditional meaning of carpenter and has sometimes been translated as craftsman, as the meaning of builder is implied, but can be applied to both wood-work and stone masonry.[8] In his 2021 article in Neotestamentica, Matthew K. Robinson argues that, due to its vagueness (particularly from influence from the LXX), tektōn in Mark 6:3 should be translated according to contextual clues. Referencing ancient literature and recent archeological evidence, Robinson argues that the best translation for tektōn in Mark 6:3 is "builder-craftsman."[10]
International Standard Version:

This is the builder, the son of Mary, and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas, and Simon, isn't it? His sisters are here with us, aren't they?" And they were offended by him.
This nuance puts deeper meaning in the following verses:

Mark 13:

2 And Jesus said to him, “Do you see these great buildings? There will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down.”
John 14:

3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.
Matthew 16:

18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Matthew 21:

42 Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures: “’The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone; the Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes’?
Was Jesus a carpenter?

He might have been. More to the point, however, he was a builder-craftsman.

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
he Bible does not specifically mention that Jesus took up the trade of his earthly father, Joseph.
Mark 6:3 says He was a carpenter. Matthew 13:55 says the son of a carpenter. He uses a lot of carpenter terms.

• Agree
Reactions: John G.
Upvote 0

John G.

Feb 2, 2024
N. Ireland
✟9,790.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Divorced
Τέκτων means builder in Greek. Reading the Bible alone would give someone the impression that Jesus was a mason however, we have the testimony, outside the Bible, of an early Christian named Justin, that Jesus was in fact a carpenter making plows, etc.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
that Jesus was in fact a carpenter making plows, etc.
This is important because Adam was the first to use a plow. Jesus came to pay the price for the sins of Adam.

Genesis 2:5
King James Bible
And every plant of the field before it was in the earth (ḇā-’ā-reṣ,), and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.

Earth in Genesis 1:2 is wə-hā-’ā-reṣ,

We have very few words to work with so it is very important to understand what those words mean.

The more food you can produce the more people you can feed. We are just now able to produce enough food to feed everyone.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,567.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Τέκτων means builder in Greek. Reading the Bible alone would give someone the impression that Jesus was a mason however, we have the testimony, outside the Bible, of an early Christian named Justin, that Jesus was in fact a carpenter making plows, etc.
reference?

Upvote 0