Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
COAS said:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/05/26/assisted.suicide.ap/index.html

Now Ashcroft can go back to expending his energies on covering up statuary boobs and prosecuting people for buying sex toys.
Very good news.
clap.gif

If you don't have a right to die, what other rights matter?

Upvote 0

COAS

Oct 21, 2003
✟294.00
Starscream said:
Great news. Hey Ashcroft, you know what you can starting doing now? Try fighting terrorism.
LOL. No way, covering up marble breasteses is WAY more important!

Oh, and storming hospices for the terminally ill in California to keep those dying degenerates from using TEH EVIIIL MARIJUANA to help ease their pain.

Upvote 0
B

brinley45cal

COAS said:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/05/26/assisted.suicide.ap/index.html

Now Ashcroft can go back to expending his energies on covering up statuary boobs and prosecuting people for buying sex toys.

Your life isnt yours to take,Jesus died so you could live.You were bought with a price,but im sure some will disagree.This is a tough issue for sure,and i can see both points.But to me its kind of like putting an old or sick dog down you know?I could be totally off base on this but it just dosent seem right.
Plus now we have to pay to die?I mean we spend a fortune on doctors to help take care of us,now we have to pay them to kill us?
My question is whats the differance between doingit your self and having a doctor do it? If you can do it for free on your own why would you want to pay a doctor to do it?
Thats just messed up theres got to be something wrong with that.I meanis this going to get to the point where when your parents get old and you dont feel like taking care of them anymore,are you going to take them to the doctor and have them put down like a dog?Sounds to much like abortion to me.Just something to think about.

Upvote 0

COAS

Oct 21, 2003
✟294.00
brinley45cal said:
Your life isnt yours to take,Jesus died so you could live.You were bought with a price,but im sure some will disagree.This is a tough issue for sure,and i can see both points.But to me its kind of like putting an old or sick dog down you know?I could be totally off base on this but it just dosent seem right.
Plus now we have to pay to die?I mean we spend a fortune on doctors to help take care of us,now we have to pay them to kill us?
My question is whats the differance between doingit your self and having a doctor do it? If you can do it for free on your own why would you want to pay a doctor to do it?
Thats just messed up theres got to be something wrong with that.I meanis this going to get to the point where when your parents get old and you dont feel like taking care of them anymore,are you going to take them to the doctor and have them put down like a dog?Sounds to much like abortion to me.Just something to think about.
Hi brinley45cal :)

According to the Oregon legislation, patients DO have to "do it for themselves" - the doctors are allowed to give the prescriptions only, it is up to the individual (not a doctor OR family member) to administer the drugs.

Upvote 0

My Higher Self

Sense Offender
Aug 20, 2002
Florida
✟880.00
brinley45cal said:
But to me its kind of like putting an old or sick dog down you know?.......Thats just messed up theres got to be something wrong with that.I meanis this going to get to the point where when your parents get old and you dont feel like taking care of them anymore,are you going to take them to the doctor and have them put down like a dog?
Its not "like" putting down your dog, its really exactly the same. The thing is, most people I have known to ever put down a dog did it because they loved their pet, loved them very much so, and they put them down typically, to put an end to their suffering. Why? Because they love their pet and they don't want to see them in pain. Its almost mind boggling to me that this simple act of love and kindness for our pets cannot be extended to those we truly love.

The thing is, it could very much be abused, just as you say. People could put down their parents just cause they dont' want to take care of them any more. Its a very tough argument, but I could understand the desire to make it possible....

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
brinley45cal said:
Your life isnt yours to take,Jesus died so you could live.

That's good to know, but since Jesus isn't making the laws of this country, the people though the legislatures are, I'll reserve me human right to not have to suffer through a long devestating bout of terminal cancer. Thanks.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟733,236.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
USincognito said:
That's good to know, but since Jesus isn't making the laws of this country, the people though the legislatures are.
Actually, we Oregionians approved the death with dignity act 2 two different times. The legislatures didn't like the first vote, so they sent it to a vote a second time. The second time it passed by an even wider margin then the first.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟733,236.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
My Higher Self said:
The thing is, it could very much be abused, just as you say. People could put down their parents just cause they dont' want to take care of them any more.
In practice though, this can not happen. It's taken very seriously with all sorts of counsling to make sure death with dignity is not being abused.

I have heard all of these arguments, as all Oregonians have, and the doom that we were warned of just has not materalized as prophesied.

Upvote 0

27D4

Jul 12, 2003
California
Visit site
✟500.00
Faith
Protestant
dlamberth said:
In practice though, this can not happen. It's taken very seriously with all sorts of counsling to make sure death with dignity is not being abused.

I have heard all of these arguments, as all Oregonians have, and the doom that we were warned of just has not materalized as prophesied.

Lets hope not. I want to be wrong, but I expect lawsuits arguing that 'death with dignity' is a constitutional right that should be extended to the mentally ill, handicapped, elderly and anyone suffering from depression. If we could trust people to be ethical I wouldn't worry so much. I suppose I'm just cynical that way.

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's interesting that supposed "conservatives" always rail about the federal government, especially the courts, trampling on "state's rights." Unless the state happens to pass a law they don't like.
Yup. Ashcroft is particularly disingenuous when it comes to his political philosophy - he's been an incredibly active and vocal opponent of states' rights.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

My Higher Self

Sense Offender
Aug 20, 2002
Florida
✟880.00
dlamberth said:

Don't get me wrong, I am for it, I just have some concerns is all......

Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Proud member of the Loud Few
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The 9th circuit is the most overturned court in the whole country, there is no reason to think this will be upheld at the level of the Supreme Court. The ninth is overturned more than any other two circuit courts combined! This is not a victory, it is a stepping stone for those fighting the legislation and nothing more.

Upvote 0

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
flesh99 said:
The 9th circuit is the most overturned court in the whole country, there is no reason to think this will be upheld at the level of the Supreme Court. The ninth is overturned more than any other two circuit courts combined! This is not a victory, it is a stepping stone for those fighting the legislation and nothing more.

And thank you for mentioning just that. The 9th circuit court is an embarrasment to this nation in my opnion. Take, for example, the 9th circuit courts recent 'overturn' of Iraq's new interim constitution (approved by the 25-member Iraqi Governing Council) on the grounds that it provides "excessive power to the ignorant masses."

'The 9CC is a joke in your town' should be the way that rap song goes. ;)

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related
Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
flesh99 said:
At least part of the explanation for this phenomenon is that the 9th Circuit is, by a substantial margin, the largest circuit in the nation.

Upvote 0