The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
His time in Canterbury has left a mixed legacy, but every writing of his that I've read has been very, very good.

Indeed, I have several of his books in my library.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I had a bit of a clunker by him sitting around: the overly long book on the spirituality of Dostoevsky's works. It was a gift and I was appreciative of that. And I gifted it to one of the Deacons -even covered the $4 in postage. Hopefully it serves him better than me.

• Friendly
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I've been doing home visits for the Lutheran parish I'm serving on a long-term supply basis. They have an old-timer who is feeble minded. I don't mean in the Alzheimer's/dementia manner but rather low IQ -not hardly mentally retarded but not a smart person. Some of the other old-timers went to school with her and tell me she went to the special ed classes, such as they were in the 1960s and 70s. Conversation is hard and mostly limited to yes or no and maybe 3 word answers unless you ask about her brother, who was quite recently a prominent US Army General, or her father. And yet she always asks for the Holy Communion, which I give her. And she reads the Bible daily, though she might not always realize what the passage was about. I cannot help but think of the faith of the child commended by Jesus himself when I visit her. This person is teaching me something, some skill I have not yet fully apprehended.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I had a bit of a clunker by him sitting around: the overly long book on the spirituality of Dostoevsky's works. It was a gift and I was appreciative of that. And I gifted it to one of the Deacons -even covered the $4 in postage. Hopefully it serves him better than me.
I haven't read that one, but from what little I know of Dostoevsky, I can imagine it wasn't light reading!

I am so often blown away by the depth of faith, and love, and grace, I encounter from "ordinary" people in the congregation. They are really such a profound inspiration.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I've been doing home visits for the Lutheran parish I'm serving on a long-term supply basis. They have an old-timer who is feeble minded. I don't mean in the Alzheimer's/dementia manner but rather low IQ -not hardly mentally retarded but not a smart person. Some of the other old-timers went to school with her and tell me she went to the special ed classes, such as they were in the 1960s and 70s. Conversation is hard and mostly limited to yes or no and maybe 3 word answers unless you ask about her brother, who was quite recently a prominent US Army General, or her father. And yet she always asks for the Holy Communion, which I give her. And she reads the Bible daily, though she might not always realize what the passage was about. I cannot help but think of the faith of the child commended by Jesus himself when I visit her. This person is teaching me something, some skill I have not yet fully apprehended.

What a lovely lady. Some people I meet erroneously assume I have no use for persons other than intellectuals, but this is not the case. What I am drawn to is loving-kindness and virtue.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Today is my older daughter's birthday (she is 9). It is also the day that clergy meetings commence at the pro-Cathedral in Myrtle Beach. It didn't make my parents too happy, but I decided I would just take her and her sister with me to Myrtle Beach. It's a fairly popular vacation spot in the US, though it is still a bit early for beach season. We can still eat a good pot of seafood boil, have a walk on the beach, buy the T-shirts, and visit the aquarium.

First night is always a kick-off Holy Communion service, which I will miss since our flight does not depart until 7 p.m. Archbishop is not upset about that as long as I'm there for the main sessions.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Are your parents unhappy because they won't see your daughter for her birthday? I'm sure you can find some other time to catch up (although it's lovely that they want to be there for her).

Navigating family expectations around ministry expectations is sometimes hard. I'd be glad right now if ministry expectations would stop claiming my day off!

• Prayers
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a huge fan of Rowan Williams' writing.
I wonder what I should read first? I have hundreds of books on my TBR list! I wish I had more free time and time for reading.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wonder what I should read first? I have hundreds of books on my TBR list! I wish I had more free time and time for reading.
It depends on your interests, I suppose. I often recommend his book Tokens of Trust to people exploring faith or preparing for confirmation. For more mature believers Silence and Honey Cakes is well worth a look.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It depends on your interests, I suppose. I often recommend his book Tokens of Trust to people exploring faith or preparing for confirmation. For more mature believers Silence and Honey Cakes is well worth a look.
Thank you! :) I will definitely look into it :)

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you can find it - last time I checked it was out of print - The Dwelling of the Light: Praying with Icons of Christ is a lovely little book.

But it really depends on what you're looking for. Some of his books are very accessible, some are quite theological, and everything in between.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Are your parents unhappy because they won't see your daughter for her birthday? I'm sure you can find some other time to catch up (although it's lovely that they want to be there for her.
Yes. They are coming to our house next week. My mother is at a stage of mental deterioration where she is becoming less agreeable and more surly.

My daughter's are having so much fun here they want to return next year. Very expensive place though.

• Prayers
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
My "to be read" pile grows faster than I get through it. I suppose I could be more disciplined, but... real life, and all that.
Same! I've been so busy I only read 3 books this month! Oh well. That's life.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Mine seems to stay about 5 deep. Not always because of books I bought. I do book reviews for North American Anglican and sometimes I am passed books some interested party (Archbishop, clergy colleagues, parishioners) want me to read and usually comment on.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟411,930.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have just had a digital detox cruise (due to the exorbitant cost of wifi on the ship) and I manager to read three worthwhile books, and take some photos.

Upvote 0