The Wild West
✟475,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I can't see why we can't just have a ball, without all the patriarchal, marriage-market nonsense, myself. They can dress up and dance and have fun. But no....

Anyway. At least ministry is never boring!

Right, a ball would make a lot of sense, especially since its not likely these girls will get married any time soon (unless the age of marriage is dramatically lower in Australia than in the US, the UK and Canada).

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The classism is not such a strong element of it here (almost everyone can do it, and there's a strong market in borrowed and second-hand gowns and such, so it doesn't have to be a big expense). But the sexism... it's hard to swallow.

The priest who was here before me was an army chaplain, so she used to go in her dress uniform, which I guess is one way to make a statement about the place of women in modern life, but I don't even have that option!

• Haha
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
The classism is not such a strong element of it here (almost everyone can do it, and there's a strong market in borrowed and second-hand gowns and such, so it doesn't have to be a big expense). But the sexism... it's hard to swallow.

The priest who was here before me was an army chaplain, so she used to go in her dress uniform, which I guess is one way to make a statement about the place of women in modern life, but I don't even have that option!

I take it you don’t have police chaplains in Australia? In the US pretty much any clergyman who wants to wear a uniform and has a clean criminal record, and who is comfortable with the idea of spending some time helping the police inform relatives that their loved one was killed in a car accident or other tragic circumstance, can be a police chaplain. One recently got in trouble for illegally affixing a blue light and other emergency equipment reserved for police cars to his personal vehicle (which I think was a Ford Crown Vic or Police Interceptor or some other model favored by “the PoPo”, American slang for “the Old Bill”, and driving around code 3 (lights and sirens).

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I take it you don’t have police chaplains in Australia? In the US pretty much any clergyman who wants to wear a uniform and has a clean criminal record, and who is comfortable with the idea of spending some time helping the police inform relatives that their loved one was killed in a car accident or other tragic circumstance, can be a police chaplain.

They do exist but there are few roles here, and I don't know whether they are generally uniformed or more considered as chaplains to the police force. I don't think they tend to be there for the public in the way you describe.

And I doubt they would have the same impact as a brigadier in her dress uniform! At any rate I will be much more conventionally frocked up, and will have to try to find other ways to communicate an alternative set of values to one which treats young women as property to be traded.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
312461653_5429087020473104_7753567090783429148_n.jpg

My brother, Fr. David, got sick a while back and died yesterday. Fr. David and I were ordained at the same time and he maintained a close link with me and my children. Fr. David was a mental health professional and our clergy support guy. I am grieving his departure. We are a month away from Convention and Fr. David was a wise voice that will surely be missed. 1,000 thoughts but he was so kind to my children.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I didn't realize it when it happened, but the Archbishop knew how sickly Fr. David was and made me the new clergy support guy a month or so ago. He wasn't explicit at the time but looking back on it I realize the charge. And I have been commissioned to talk to all of the clergy within the next 2 months. Which is difficult when some of these guys won't give me their phone #.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes. But the guy who maintains it is very old fashioned and only does a print copy. I won't get it until next month.

This thoroughly annoys me. I have to shedule a phone conversation with the guy about 2 days out to get a solid 20 minutes with him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Lol. I may be guilty of occasionally having similar thoughts about some of my colleagues.

I just won't tell which ones. :p
You want some of them to hike deep into New England or Montana or Utah or something?:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Diocese of North West Australia seems far enough away... ;)

I suppose in the US the great equivalent threat to that is Alaska, another nominally habitable region.

Upvote 0