1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anyone up for a chat thread?

Discussion in 'Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic' started by Paidiske, May 18, 2016.

1. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+17,187
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Nope; I left late last year. Currently in the diocese of Wangaratta.

I'm aware of their review of the various bits of canon law to do with clergy, though, and the debate around the retirement age. The consultation process had begun before I left. I have some concerns about what they're proposing, mostly to do with the potential for various provisions to be abused; although it's a lot better than some of what was initially circulated.

2. Shane R

Shane R Priest Supporter

+875
    United States
    Anglican
    Widowed
    If there were mandatory retirement at 70 many Continuing churches wouldn't have clergy. Are there provisions for those on the retired list to take supply appointments? That seems to be how most of the local TEC diocese functions.

3. Paidiske

+17,187
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Oh yes. After 70 you can hold a PTO (permission to officiate) and take services or function as a locum. Some such clergy take on long-term locums which last a year or more. But at the moment, at 70 you can no longer be licensed.

That genuinely has both benefits and drawbacks. One of the concerns being floated amongst younger clergy, in particular, is that clergy who are more mature in age (and therefore more experienced) often are appointed to "better" jobs and then stay there. If they're allowed to stay indefinitely, opportunities for younger clergy to move become more limited. (As one colleague of mine put it to me in an unguarded moment, "How many ways do the baby boomers want to screw us over?")

4. Deegie

Deegie Priest of the Church Supporter

+134
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Democrat
    It's similar for us in TEC. The mandatory retirement age is 72, but bishops may license individual clerics after that age on an annual basis. Many (or perhaps most) will not do so for full-time work.

5. Shane R

Shane R Priest Supporter

+875
    United States
    Anglican
    Widowed
    We ordained a priest who was 78 about 3 years ago. He just fully retired this year. He never served anywhere full-time though. He was part of a rotation at the bishop's home parish.

6. Deegie

Deegie Priest of the Church Supporter

+134
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I'm guessing they didn't make him go to seminary? Or was he coming over from ordained ministry in another denomination?

7. Shane R

Shane R Priest Supporter

+875
    United States
    Anglican
    Widowed
    He came over from the UMC. He has a D.D. and was briefly inserted as President of the Seminary! Also a military chaplain for ages - 'Nam era up to the 90s I suppose.

8. Bob Crowley

Bob Crowley Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,469
    Australia
    Catholic
    Married
    I was just sticky beaking to see if you had any posts recently. I noticed you are now in Wangaratta.

Friends of ours (on my wife's side) moved recently to Markwood, which apparently is about 20 minutes drive from Wangaratta. They're Anglican, so I suppose it's possible they might end up at your church, although one of their sons-in-law is an Anglican minister himself.

9. Paidiske

+17,187
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    I'm so new to the area I had to look up where Markwood is. It's a bit far from me - I'm up on the northern edge of the diocese, actually over the border in NSW - but they might find the parish in Milawa. Lovely part of the world!