Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
181006l.jpg

181006m.jpg

181006p.jpg

181006s.jpg

181006e.jpg
My chasuble is a reproduction of St. Philip Neri's own chasuble.

Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Congratulations, Shane. It's been a long and hard road, but you persevered.

As for challenging daughters, yes, well...

Does that mean you didn't have a retreat? I didn't get to see my daughter before my ordinations.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I have been appointed to screen incoming applications from Latin America. Great, I can read Spanish fairly well! The first application to cross my desk was from Brazil, where they use Portuguese.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's them asking to become part of your denomination, but as a group? That'll give you insight to part of the life of the church most of us never get to see.

Ten bishops for three laity... can't have too much oversight, I guess? The mind boggles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Don't get me started on GAFCON. Some folks here had the cheek to bring a motion to synod asking us to endorse GAFCON. Didn't seem to understand why the rest of us were like, "Umm, no, we're not even debating that."

Why would synod pass a motion endorsing a group basically working to undermine our church structures??

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Gays and women. Less Pentecostal and more Calvinist here. Either way, the way I see it, you're either in a church - in which case you work for its unity and good - or you decide that you can't do that with integrity, and you leave. You don't stick around and undermine your brothers and sisters because you haven't got your own way on everything.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Gays and women. Less Pentecostal and more Calvinist here. Either way, the way I see it, you're either in a church - in which case you work for its unity and good - or you decide that you can't do that with integrity, and you leave. You don't stick around and undermine your brothers and sisters because you haven't got your own way on everything.

I think that it's time this thread returned to its origins. Pews.

Has anyone seriously considered the link between hard wooden pews and haemorrhoids and the focus on religious observance? Older congregants may well be twisting in unpadded agony as Anglican priests wax wisely on theoretical theology.

Provide padding, create cushions and give your flock the relief it deserves.
OB

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Right. Well. Thank you for that, OB. I shall file it away under "useful observations to make when talking the laity into radical change (like cushions in the pews)."

In my experience it's usually the flock resisting any such move...

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
In my experience it's usually the flock resisting any such move...
Ahh, yes, the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] Anglican thing. Remind them that Jesus ordered up a few doughnut cushions (along with the wine,) for the wedding at Cana and they'll be right with you.
OB

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
You should be kneeling for most of the service anyway! Although, my parish does have some cushions. Probably enough for half the attendees.

We recently got a new building. Well, some other parishes in the diocese had hoarded some stuff for us to fill this building with. It does not all match. For instance, the influx of new pews are approximately four feet longer than the other pews. To me (and a couple other men), the solution was fairly obvious: put all of the long ones on one side of the aisle and the short ones on the other. This is actually feasible in this particularly space without totally destroying the symmetry of the sanctuary. No, the vestry prefers to shorten them all to the same length. This to me is a sign not only of stupidity (have YOU tried to shorten a pew?) but myopia, as it will decrease the seating capacity by 15%. The point of getting the new building was two-fold: to stop renting and to have more space.

Okay. Rant over.

Upvote 0