Indiana
✟961,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Very random so apologies but a Christian forum with a firearms section? Maybe it’s my English sensibilities but that’s a little...shocking in a Christian sense :sorry:

I'm an American and a gun owner, but I also find that forum out of place for CF. I just don't get it, and also avoid it.

Upvote 0

JamieRedheadUK

Anglican
Feb 3, 2016
Manchester, United Kingdom
✟10,438.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
6D9EC45A-68A6-43BF-B708-E1E16D5BF964.png
Hope you all had a great day :)

Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
The service was a bit of a train wreck today. The electrician who's been upgrading the wiring had knocked out half of the lights last time he was in working and wasn't able to fix it before today. Then, we got our wires crossed on what vestments to wear. There was a special order of service to dedicate the building and someone gave the Archbishop a booklet that was assembled incorrectly - there was two copies of every page in his booklet - eventually he just took mine. We didn't complete the Processional as the Archbishop had intended. The server went to sleep during the sermon. I ended up filling his role as we prepared the gifts during the Offertory.

As we were taking our vestments off after the service his Excellency said, "Well, we started and we finished and we did the stuff in between. Some of it didn't look good but we got the job done."

There's sort of an inside joke to the 'we finished' part. One of the African Archbishops had flown in to the States a while back and he and our American Archbishop went out to a mission that met in a rented facility at the time. The African was invited to preach and he preached for about 70 minutes. Now, the facility was supposed to be turned over and some other group used it for their church at a certain time. They had shown up in the back and were waiting to get ready. The service was supposed to be Holy Communion but there wasn't time to go through the Canon after the extended sermon. So the Archbishop gave the closing Benediction and all they had that day was Antecommunion with a sermon. When he tells the story he calls it the unfinished Communion service.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,554.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Praise God that God still shows up, even in our train wrecks. :)

We had a guest preacher yesterday, I invited one of the local theology professors. Had a very good sermon and a reasonable turnout from the congregation, so that was encouraging.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The service was a bit of a train wreck today. The electrician who's been upgrading the wiring had knocked out half of the lights last time he was in working and wasn't able to fix it before today. Then, we got our wires crossed on what vestments to wear. There was a special order of service to dedicate the building and someone gave the Archbishop a booklet that was assembled incorrectly - there was two copies of every page in his booklet - eventually he just took mine. We didn't complete the Processional as the Archbishop had intended. The server went to sleep during the sermon. I ended up filling his role as we prepared the gifts during the Offertory.

As we were taking our vestments off after the service his Excellency said, "Well, we started and we finished and we did the stuff in between. Some of it didn't look good but we got the job done."

There's sort of an inside joke to the 'we finished' part. One of the African Archbishops had flown in to the States a while back and he and our American Archbishop went out to a mission that met in a rented facility at the time. The African was invited to preach and he preached for about 70 minutes. Now, the facility was supposed to be turned over and some other group used it for their church at a certain time. They had shown up in the back and were waiting to get ready. The service was supposed to be Holy Communion but there wasn't time to go through the Canon after the extended sermon. So the Archbishop gave the closing Benediction and all they had that day was Antecommunion with a sermon. When he tells the story he calls it the unfinished Communion service.

Did the congregation notice? :)

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
They noticed half of the lights not working. The other stuff, probably not - maybe the server sleeping.

Shane you missed an opportunity...

You could have suggested it was mood lighting for such an auspicious occasion... :)

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Whenever we encounter the Archbishop my oldest daughter always says, "You look like Santa Claus!" He agrees with her and he thinks it is hilarious. He told me today he actually trimmed three inches off of his beard after his last trip to Nigeria (in October).

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Whenever we encounter the Archbishop my oldest daughter always says, "You look like Santa Claus!" He agrees with her and he thinks it is hilarious. He told me today he actually trimmed three inches off of his beard after his last trip to Nigeria (in October).

The priest on the right looks like Canon Gavin Ott who was the Rector of St. Pauls Anglican Church in Ipswich QLD when I attended there during the 80's and early 90's.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ephesians 3:14-19
For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth takes its name. I pray that, according to the riches of his glory, he may grant that you may be strengthened in your inner being with power through his Spirit, and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith, as you are being rooted and grounded in love. I pray that you may have the power to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

I fear that we are in trouble when we treat unity lightly, and perceive our own understanding of the truth (which sets us free) too lightly. There is not enough discussion and too much firing across the alternate bows on both sides.

Our challenge is to find an expression of the eternal truth that sheds light within the temporal reality in which we are called to live our lives. The relationship between the absolute and the relative is the dialogue in which lived faith finds expression. We all need to live a little, give a little, and seek to see Christ within each other.

No, it's not easy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mhiriam

Dec 29, 2018
Melbourne
✟19,203.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Celibate
Our pews have been padded for about 10 years - but recently they padded the pews in the Old Church building - that's heritage listed. Seems wrong, somehow... Although I know the oldies appreciate the extra support! (Don't kneel - I have bad kneecaps)
Pews are also practical when you need to move stuff around a lot - moving many individual chairs would take a lot longer.

Am I unusually Low for here? It doesn't matter at all, but being surrounded by Baptist and Uniting churches I don't really visit many other Anglican parishes and we do seem quite Low by comparison.

Upvote 0