Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Taken from the book, 50 Ways to Pray: Practices from Many Traditions and Times (Teresa A. Blythe). (The book is explicitly Christian and a very helpful compendium of resources, in case anyone is interested). She also commends the book Walking a Sacred Path by Lauren Artress for further understanding of this form of prayer.

"The path is symbolic of the journey inward toward God's illumination and then outward, grounded in God and empowered to act in the world...

The Exercise:
- Locate a labyrinth. You can find permanent ones in many locations, and some organisations own temporary ones that can be put on the floor. A finger labyrinth, either drawn on paper or carved in wood, works well if you cannot walk or if there is no labyrinth nearby.
- Pause at the opening of the labyrinth. Ask God to walk with you and to help you through the stages of prayer.
- The winding path leading to the centre allows you time to release all that is within you that distracts you from God. Empty yourself and let go of a need to control your life. Practice this purgation all the way to the centre.
- The centre is a place to stop and be fully present to the moment in God. Sit, kneel or stand in the centre for prayer and meditation as long as you like. Be with God in any way you desire, through silent or worded prayers.
- The winding path leading away from the centre allows you time to integrate any insight you received in prayer. Walk this path with gratitude.
- Pause at the end of the labyrinth, which is also where you began this journey. Thank God for being with you, both in this prayer and in the life journey that it symbolises.
- Whenever you are ready, reflect on your experience. You may want to write in your journal. What happens when you pray in this way?...Where did you feel God's presence most abundantly? How is walking the labyrinth different from other forms of prayer that you enjoy? How is it similar? How is walking the labyrinth a symbol for your spiritual journey?"

Upvote 0

Deegie

Priest of the Church
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2011
✟407,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That is exactly how I was taught to use a labyrinth. They are a little tricky to find around here, although you can make one with a can of spray paint rather easily (using a stake and string).

Paidiske, I must thank you for the book recommendation. I hadn't heard of it before, but it looks like it will be immensely useful for an upcoming series I am planning. I just ordered it from Amazon.

Upvote 0

CanadianAnglican

Evangelical charismatic Anglican Catholic
May 20, 2014
Visit site
✟9,623.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
As I recall the (Roman Catholic) book my assistant priest had used instructions similar to what Paidiske posted, with the addition of potentially praying some form of centring prayer while walking inward on the Labyrinth (the Jesus Prayer is commended for this), and there were various prayers offered for use once you reached the centre.

I also realise now I was rather imprecise in my word choice in the previous post. I said the correct way, when I should have more accurately written a correct and Christian way... Because again my experience with the other parishes that have prayer labyrinths in my parish is such that I would expect them to be using syncretistic/new age practices rather than a purely Christian form of prayer.

I have been, because of that, somewhat indifferent to their use. But maybe if the weather is nice the next time I'm at the convent I'll try it.

Upvote 0

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
As I recall the (Roman Catholic) book my assistant priest had used instructions similar to what Paidiske posted, with the addition of potentially praying some form of centring prayer while walking inward on the Labyrinth (the Jesus Prayer is commended for this), and there were various prayers offered for use once you reached the centre.

I also realise now I was rather imprecise in my word choice in the previous post. I said the correct way, when I should have more accurately written a correct and Christian way... Because again my experience with the other parishes that have prayer labyrinths in my parish is such that I would expect them to be using syncretistic/new age practices rather than a purely Christian form of prayer.

I have been, because of that, somewhat indifferent to their use. But maybe if the weather is nice the next time I'm at the convent I'll try it.

Yes, exactly what I mentioned, but it can be done well. The instructions above are helpful and basically what I've been doing privately or with parish members. It is helpful to do it in a group if it's in a Christian context, at least if you're Christian. Since the labyrinth I walk is privately owned I cannot be sure what's going on unless I'm alone or the walk is announced publicly in the parish. I prefer to do it communally if clergy and parish members are joining in.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Strange to be in a parish this year which does not observe today as a day of Thanksgiving for the Holy Communion (Corpus Christi), after several years in a parish where it was a Big Deal.

What do your parishes do for that day? Or do they also ignore it?

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Strange to be in a parish this year which does not observe today as a day of Thanksgiving for the Holy Communion (Corpus Christi), after several years in a parish where it was a Big Deal.

The feast of Corpus Christi is not a commemoration in the American or Canadian calendars - nor in the 1662 for that matter. My diocese, being primarily evangelical in character does not observe. Perhaps some of the most Anglo-Catholic sections of the Continuing Movement might; the APCK is pretty nearly as Catholic as SSPX. Any group that uses the Missal is also a likely suspect.

Upvote 0

CanadianAnglican

May 20, 2014
Visit site
✟9,623.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
My current parish has no history of recognizing feasts, sadly, so all people get is me mentioning the Feast of Corpus Christi to my homegroup in an email I sent out. That said, I believe that the homilist this Sunday may well make mention of it. There are no weekday services at this parish, either, outside of Lent. So that's that... I am going to meet the rector at the parish where I am being placed later today, so I'll begin to find out a bit more what it's like there.

Upvote 0

CanadianAnglican

May 20, 2014
Visit site
✟9,623.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
The feast of Corpus Christi is not a commemoration in the American or Canadian calendars - nor in the 1662 for that matter. My diocese, being primarily evangelical in character does not observe. Perhaps some of the most Anglo-Catholic sections of the Continuing Movement might; the APCK is pretty nearly as Catholic as SSPX. Any group that uses the Missal is also a likely suspect.

Only semi-officially recognized in Canada. This is the official online lectionary resource for the Anglican Church of Canada: http://thecommunity.anglican.ca/lectionary/?date=2016-05-26&submit=show+new+date You can swap it to BCP and in both it is recognized as an option (using readings/collects from Maundy Thursday), though I'm not really sure what supplement that is from. While it's not something celebrated in my current parish (very evangelical and charismatic with a majority of the congregation coming from non-Anglican backgrounds), there are other parishes in my city that do mark it. One parish does an instructed eucharist each year for Corpus Christi.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Only semi-officially recognized in Canada. This is the official online lectionary resource for the Anglican Church of Canada: http://thecommunity.anglican.ca/lectionary/?date=2016-05-26&submit=show+new+date You can swap it to BCP and in both it is recognized as an option (using readings/collects from Maundy Thursday), though I'm not really sure what supplement that is from. While it's not something celebrated in my current parish (very evangelical and charismatic with a majority of the congregation coming from non-Anglican backgrounds), there are other parishes in my city that do mark it. One parish does an instructed eucharist each year for Corpus Christi.

I had make a quick look in the 1962 Canadian BCP, which I have heard has largely fallen into disuse.

Totally unrelated, but the diocese is searching for someone to go to Canada and establish a mission. I tried to talk my wife into setting up in Hamilton. She was unenthusiastic. Do you think an Evangelical flavored continuing jurisdiction could establish a foothold?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The feast of Corpus Christi is not a commemoration in the American or Canadian calendars

Wow - I'm genuinely surprised. I thought in general the American church was more Anglo-Catholic than Australia!

Good luck with your meeting, Canadian. Those meetings are always stressful, but I pray God will bless you in it. Is this a placement as a theological student?

Upvote 0

CanadianAnglican

May 20, 2014
Visit site
✟9,623.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I had make a quick look in the 1962 Canadian BCP, which I have heard has largely fallen into disuse.

Totally unrelated, but the diocese is searching for someone to go to Canada and establish a mission. I tried to talk my wife into setting up in Hamilton. She was unenthusiastic. Do you think an Evangelical flavored continuing jurisdiction could establish a foothold?

Hamilton is the Diocese of Niagra. While the Diocese of New Westminster is the one that has made all the headlines, Niagra is actually considered to be the most liberal diocese in the Anglican Church of Canada. Their bishop is basically on the lines of Michael Ingham or Spong... So all that's to say that it's probably fairly ripe for a continuing plant in that there may be disaffected traditionalists, however I can't speak to the Churchmanship. I'm out West. The East tends to be more high church (I do not say Anglo-Catholic, because to me Anglo-Catholicism implies doctrines and theologies which are very much absent out there; they just more preserve the affectations of high church ritual, while adopting very modernist theological viewpoints which are at odds with Anglo-Catholicism or any form of Catholic Christian belief).

As to the BCP, while the BAS is now normative, in that every parish uses it, the BCP remains the standard and most parishes still offer a BCP service as well. There are also a small number of parishes which are straight BCP. One of the reasons that this change has occured is that there was a significant change to the lectionary between the BCP and BAS, and so the collects in the BAS cannot always be used with the Propers of the BAS's Revised Common Lectionary. This is, I believe, the same issue in the United States with the 28 v 79 prayer book?

Wow - I'm genuinely surprised. I thought in general the American church was more Anglo-Catholic than Australia!

Good luck with your meeting, Canadian. Those meetings are always stressful, but I pray God will bless you in it. Is this a placement as a theological student?
I am a seminarian. This is a 14 month placement to serve in a new parish, essentially as a subdeacon and/or some form of lay assistant and also forming a servers ministry. The priest is a nice fellow but I am only just beginning to get a sense for him as this was my first formal meeting with him. I had only just introduced myself on Whitsunday to be able to schedule a meeting with him after he'd met me face-to-face. Still plenty to be worked out before the placement begins in August. What I really need to do is find time to listen to some of his sermons which are available online!

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Those placements while you're in college can be such a rich and wonderful time of learning. I did five (four and a half, really, because pregnancy cut one short), and each was incredibly valuable. Your relationship with your supervisor will be the key thing to getting the most out of it, so I'm glad that seems to have started out reasonably well! How many hours a week are you expected to be in the parish?

Upvote 0

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

My parish to my knowledge has never observed it. It would be a local feast day if it did rather than one on the official calendar. I would have thought it would be mostly an Anglo-Catholic observance. Despite a number of high church and even some Anglo-Catholic practices this is not something we do.

How did your parishes observe it? How would you describe the liturgical and theological affinities in those parishes?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How did your parishes observe it? How would you describe the liturgical and theological affinities in those parishes?

Oh, only the more Anglo-Catholic places do. It's a minor observance here, and quite optional.

In my last parish it would be a special Eucharist, festal vestments, either a luminary as a guest preacher or the vicar would do what he called a "teaching Eucharist" where instead of a sermon, he gave a running commentary on aspects of the Eucharist as we did them. A shared meal afterwards. Just kind of a sense that this was an important day in our calendar and our identity.

At college it was even more of a thing; one year there were rose petals on the altar!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CanadianAnglican

May 20, 2014
Visit site
✟9,623.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I don't know how many hours. Probably just two days a week plus any ministry activity I get involved in beyond that (Sunday in the Parish at Thursdays at the nearby nursing home assisting or leading the mass there). It seems I'll be serving as a subdeacon, though this parish has no deacon or assistant priest, or even altar servers, so it really means I'll be doing everything to assist (crucifer, reading, prayers of the people, preparing the gifts, etc) and on occasion preaching, plus the outreach ministry at the nursing home. I am quite looking forward to it as it's in a completely different ministry context (small town nearby the metropolitan city where I live).

Re observation of Corpus Christi, that's interesting that you have a parish where they would do a teaching/instructed Eucharist as well, as I had mentioned the one parish in my city that also does that every year. I wonder is that a common practice? I would imagine Roman Catholics wouldn't use the day for an instructed mass, so how might that practice have developed among Anglicans?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Students doing everything is very common. Soak it all up and learn all you can, would be my approach to it!

I have no idea if a teaching/instructed Eucharist is common or not. I first saw one at college, done by Andrew McGowan (currently Dean of the Berkeley Divinity School at Yale). I don't know whether he learned the idea in America when he was there before? My former vicar who also did them also lectured at college, so I also don't know whether he saw it done there and then decided to do it in the parish...? When done well it's a very effective experience, I found. I haven't dared try to do it myself yet!

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
This is, I believe, the same issue in the United States with the 28 v 79 prayer book?

You are essentially correct. Although, of note, is that '28 saw service with two lectionaries. The original was essentially the same one year lectionary that had been read forever. If memory serves, there was some revision in 1943.

Upvote 0

Feuerbach

Continuing Anglican
Sep 14, 2015
San Antonio, Texas, USA
Visit site
✟8,072.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

True enough. The parish I belong to uses some elements from the Missal and perhaps would have done something on Thursday, but we are small mission with bi-vocational clergy so weekday festivals aren't really possible.

Upvote 0