✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Plan 9 said:
How are you, Elizabeth? I missed you.

Dear Jennifer:

I owe you a big hug for defending me so well in that short-lived lengthy thread over in the Suggestions Forum. What you said was true. I was only expressing my concern for the Old Catholics as I was in contact with them before I joined the Orthodox Church. Then, I met some Old Catholics who had converted to Orthodoxy and they encouraged me to look into the Orthodox Church, which I did.

I'm hoping that you, however, will be proud to display your faith icon and not let a few paranoid people destroy your peace of mind. After all, our focus should be on Christ, and our eyes should be on the prize = heaven.

Dear Brian:

The funeral was ok. However, as in most families, there was a power struggle as my younger brother wanted to take over Dad's place and act as the family patriarch on the day of the funeral. Please pray for him as he believes in the OSAS theory and is very much anti-Catholic and anti-Orthodoxy. In fact, he subscribes to the theory that the Anabaptists/Baptists existed at the very beginning of Christianity but were continually suffering persecution by the established Church at Constantinople and Rome. Perhaps we should open a thread - however it will probably be moved to a forum where the Baptists dwell. Please PM me about this.

Dear Photini:

Thanks for your concern. Please keep my family in your prayers as some of my siblings are unchurched.

Lovingly to all in Christ,

Elizabeth

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
countrymousenc said:
Welcome back, Elizabeth - cyberhug (wish I could give you a real one.)

Dear Dianne, Brian, Photini, Jennifer, and Eusebios:

:hug:

My mom gave me two sweaters that my dad wore in his last days. These are my teddy bears, which I hug whenever I miss him. Besides, I do believe that he is a saint. When I went to the funeral home, I kissed my dad (on his beard) - he had a very thick beard - looked so very monastic. They gave me some hair clippings from his head, which I am saving.

When I touched my dad, his skin was still supple like he had just died -- and it was not discolored. I was able to lift the shroud and see his shoulder, which had a normal color and texture and feel about it - only it was cold. There was no odor whatsoever. I do believe that he was one of the incorrupt saints of God. I've been to many funerals and he was unique, as the others looked dead, but my dad just looked like he was asleep.

A month before his death he was constantly saying (making his own poetry)

Jesus Jesus come to me.
Meet me by the Azure Sea.
All my longing is for Thee.
Jesus Jesus come to me.

A man came to me and said that my dad died a Catholic, but my mom and sister denied this because they are anti-Catholic. They refused to let him see a priest. I tried and know that my dad wanted to receive the last sacraments, but I was not notified in time to be there for him. Nevertheless, I know that God sees the intention in a person's soul. My dad was repentant, loving, and forgiving. He died a saint. In photos taken a few months before his death, he had the look of a saintly ascetic, with a loving non-judgmental expression that saints have.

Interestingly, when I first told my mom that my dad was incorrupt, she was in disbelief and acted like I was crazy. She had taken a lock of hair from the back of my father's head just three hours before he died and said that she would give it to me. When she realized what I was saying - that dad was an incorrupt saint - then she decided to keep that lock of hair for herself, as I had some taken from the funeral home.

:hug: :hug: :hug: to you all.

Lovingly in Christ our God,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Deck Six, Cargo Bay Two; apply to Annabel Lee to l
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Aria said:
Dear Jennifer:

I owe you a big hug for defending me so well in that short-lived lengthy thread over in the Suggestions Forum. What you said was true. I was only expressing my concern for the Old Catholics as I was in contact with them before I joined the Orthodox Church. Then, I met some Old Catholics who had converted to Orthodoxy and they encouraged me to look into the Orthodox Church, which I did.

I know you. Elizabeth; what you say is always what you mean. That's one of the things that's so special about you. :)
It was only fair that I defend your sincerity, and your desire to do the right thing, knowing full well that the consequences would be pretty much what they were. You did the hard part, after all, when you started the thread.

I'm hoping that you, however, will be proud to display your faith icon and not let a few paranoid people destroy your peace of mind. After all, our focus should be on Christ, and our eyes should be on the prize = heaven.

I feel very lucky to be a Chrsitian and I am proud to be a United Methodist. The local church I belong to is one that I think anyone would enjoy visiting, and be likely to come away blessed for having been there. I may not be able to attend it, but the congregation there exemplifies the best of United Methodism.

As far as my faith icon goes, my own Christian walk stood or fell on my posts before we had them, and it still does.
When I was just a young Jesus Freak, the other ex-hippies always said,
"If you can't walk the walk; don't talk the talk."
Sometimes I walk it, and sometimes I fail, but having friends like you, who always seem to walk the walk, encourages me more than you can know.

Dear Brian:

The funeral was ok. However, as in most families, there was a power struggle as my younger brother wanted to take over Dad's place and act as the family patriarch on the day of the funeral. Please pray for him as he believes in the OSAS theory and is very much anti-Catholic and anti-Orthodoxy. In fact, he subscribes to the theory that the Anabaptists/Baptists existed at the very beginning of Christianity but were continually suffering persecution by the established Church at Constantinople and Rome. Perhaps we should open a thread - however it will probably be moved to a forum where the Baptists dwell. Please PM me about this.

Forgive me, Elizabeth, since this part isn't addressed to me, but I'm close to a cousin who is Southern Baptist, and OSAS, but reading this would make him shake his head.
Even the Anabaptist movement (Amish, Mennonite, and Hutterite) can't be traced back that far, and they make no claim to be that old.
What my cousin feels is that there were probably always a few folks around who believed much what he does, but that's about it, and, if so, they're lost to history.
Your brother sounds like he's perhaps rebelling against his family, in choosing such an antagonistic set of Baptist beliefs? Am I wrong here? I don't want to be unfair to your brother.

Again, I missed you very much, Elizabeth! This United Methodist is very happy to have you back at TAW! :)

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Aria said:
Dear Dianne, Brian, Photini, Jennifer, and Eusebios:

My mom gave me two sweaters that my dad wore in his last days. These are my teddy bears, which I hug whenever I miss him. Besides, I do believe that he is a saint. When I went to the funeral home, I kissed my dad (on his beard) - he had a very thick beard - looked so very monastic. They gave me some hair clippings from his head, which I am saving.

When I touched my dad, his skin was still supple like he had just died -- and it was not discolored. I was able to lift the shroud and see his shoulder, which had a normal color and texture and feel about it - only it was cold. There was no odor whatsoever. I do believe that he was one of the incorrupt saints of God. I've been to many funerals and he was unique, as the others looked dead, but my dad just looked like he was asleep.

A month before his death he was constantly saying (making his own poetry)

Jesus Jesus come to me.
Meet me by the Azure Sea.
All my longing is for Thee.
Jesus Jesus come to me.

A man came to me and said that my dad died a Catholic, but my mom and sister denied this because they are anti-Catholic. They refused to let him see a priest. I tried and know that my dad wanted to receive the last sacraments, but I was not notified in time to be there for him. Nevertheless, I know that God sees the intention in a person's soul. My dad was repentant, loving, and forgiving. He died a saint. In photos taken a few months before his death, he had the look of a saintly ascetic, with a loving non-judgmental expression that saints have.

Interestingly, when I first told my mom that my dad was incorrupt, she was in disbelief and acted like I was crazy. She had taken a lock of hair from the back of my father's head just three hours before he died and said that she would give it to me. When she realized what I was saying - that dad was an incorrupt saint - then she decided to keep that lock of hair for herself, as I had some taken from the funeral home.

:hug: :hug: :hug: to you all.

Lovingly in Christ our God,
Elizabeth

Thank you for sharing that, Elisabeth. How beautiful. *bows head*

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Plan 9 said:
I know you. Elizabeth; what you say is always what you mean. That's one of the things that's so special about you. :)
It was only fair that I defend your sincerity, and your desire to do the right thing, knowing full well that the consequences would be pretty much what they were. You did the hard part, after all, when you started the thread.

I feel very lucky to be a Christian and I am proud to be a United Methodist. The local church I belong to is one that I think anyone would enjoy visiting, and be likely to come away blessed for having been there. I may not be able to attend it, but the congregation there exemplifies the best of United Methodism.

As far as my faith icon goes, my own Christian walk stood or fell on my posts before we had them, and it still does.
When I was just a young Jesus Freak, the other ex-hippies always said,
"If you can't walk the walk; don't talk the talk."
Sometimes I walk it, and sometimes I fail, but having friends like you, who always seem to walk the walk, encourages me more than you can know.

Forgive me, Elizabeth, since this part isn't addressed to me, but I'm close to a cousin who is Southern Baptist, and OSAS, but reading this would make him shake his head.
Even the Anabaptist movement (Amish, Mennonite, and Hutterite) can't be traced back that far, and they make no claim to be that old.
What my cousin feels is that there were probably always a few folks around who believed much what he does, but that's about it, and, if so, they're lost to history.
Your brother sounds like he's perhaps rebelling against his family, in choosing such an antagonistic set of Baptist beliefs? Am I wrong here? I don't want to be unfair to your brother.

Again, I missed you very much, Elizabeth! This United Methodist is very happy to have you back at TAW! :)

Dear Jennifer,

Yes, my brother is very rebellious, bossy, and a take-charge person. He called my dad a heretic because my dad didn't subscribe to the Rapture belief. And this when the funeral service hadn't even started! He questioned my beliefs as an Orthodox and implied that I wasn't saved. Sadly, at the memorial service, he preached a long boring sermon, longer than the minister did. I felt like I was on CF debating with the OSAS people all the time I was home.

So I kept bringing the subject back to the legacy of my dad: write a book that brings people to Christ using the loving words of my dad. In my father's last few years, he was trying to bring scientists to Christ - as he had found Christ through his study of science, especially theoretical physics.

Lovingly yours in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Aria said:
Dear Jennifer,

Yes, my brother is very rebellious, bossy, and a take-charge person. He called my dad a heretic because my dad didn't subscribe to the Rapture belief.

By the most down home set of Protestant beliefs in my experience, that's just a ridiculous notion. He would be the first person I had ever met to claim that not subscribing to the Rapture makes one a heretic. He must belong to an really small church if belief in the Rapture is a doctrinal requirement.
Perhaps it's a good thing I wasn't there, or I'd have had him by the ear as son as he began to disparage his father at his father's funeral. That is so[/o] discourteous!

And this when the funeral service hadn't even started!

You've got to be an early bird if you plan to use such a occasion to offend your family to the max. ;)

He questioned my beliefs as an Orthodox and implied that I wasn't saved.

I might have slapped him then.

Sadly, at the memorial service, he preached a long boring sermon, longer than the minister did. I felt like I was on CF debating with the OSAS people all the time I was home.

Yeesh! Are you saying that he preached a sermon on the Eternal Security of the Believer at his father's funeral??!!
Lay people aren't supposed to preach sermons of any kind at a funeral. What he was supposed to do was to deliver a moving eulogy in honor of his father. He failed.

So I kept bringing the subject back to the legacy of my dad: write a book that brings people to Christ using the loving words of my dad. In my father's last few years, he was trying to bring scientists to Christ - as he had found Christ through his study of science, especially theoretical physics.

Oh, by all means, I urge you to do it! How I would love to read that book! I can think of no worthier tribute to your father than to carry on his work of bringing people to Christ, Elizabeth! :hug:

*cough*yourbrotherisanobnoxiousloser*cough*

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Aria said:
Yes, my brother is very rebellious, bossy, and a take-charge person. He called my dad a heretic because my dad didn't subscribe to the Rapture belief. And this when the funeral service hadn't even started!
That is so sad that your brother would say such horrible things about your (and his!) father. What's your brother's name? I'll pray for him...

Upvote 0

Eusebios

Create in me a clean heart O God!
Feb 17, 2004
Canton, OH.
Visit site
✟12,812.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Elizabeth,
i wondered if that hadn't been what was going on and I'm glad to hear that you were able to be strong in the face of such adversity. I am so saddened tat your father was denied his dying wish for the Holy sacraments.:(
I am glad that God has granted you such peace, stregth and assurance at this difficult time. Rest assured of our conyinued prayers for you, your family and the newly departed servant of God Pascal, may his memory be eternal.
His unworthy servant,
Eusebios.
:bow:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.