✟9,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Science isn't evil.

Science is a gift from God, imparted through the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

It's how that science is used is where the evil comes in.
Mayhaps God could have seen how science would work when he gifted mankind with it. Kind of like giving them a set of rules and then asking them to ignore the rules. Science has rules...can't just go willy-nilly ignoring them just because the conclusions don't make you happy.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,076.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Science has rules...can't just go willy-nilly ignoring them just because the conclusions don't make you happy.
You're going to gradually find out that that is exactly what some do in this forum. Hang around these type of threads long enough and you might well run through the equivalent of the 5 stages of grief.

Denial: No way. I don't accept people actually believe these things.
Anger: They do? But that's just...crazy!
Bargaining: No problem. I'll just convince them they are wrong by means of reasoned argument.
Depression: It's not working. Why are people so ignorant? It's frustrating and just so depressing...
Acceptance: Ah well. Nothing I can do about it. Now where's that ignore button...

You may find that you cycle between 2, 3 and 4 before you eventually reach 5. At which point you may feel like you're accepting defeat. But you need to consider your own mental wellbeing. Trust me, it's like walking out of a dark and dank basement into the fresh air.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mayhaps God could have seen how science would work when he gifted mankind with it.

My favorite example is oil.

Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

I believe God embedded reservoirs of oil into the earth during the Creation Week.

Then, when the time was right, He raised up men to find these reservoirs.

Deuteronomy 29:29 The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.

Same with the banana.

The banana started out as food for other animals.

But thanks to men who learned to hybridize it, it is a human delicacy today.

Winter wheat is another good example.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,322.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
You're going to gradually find out that that is exactly what some do in this forum. Hang around these type of threads long enough and you might well run through the equivalent of the 5 stages of grief.

Bargaining: No problem. I'll just convince them they are wrong by means of reasoned argument.
Depression: It's not working. Why are people so ignorant? It's frustrating and just so depressing...
Acceptance: Ah well. Nothing I can do about it. Now where's that ignore button...

You may find that you cycle between 2, 3 and 4 before you eventually reach 5. At which point you may feel like you're accepting defeat. But you need to consider your own mental wellbeing. Trust me, it's like walking out of a dark and dank basement into the fresh air.
Mom had a saying that translates to something
like:

It is wise to just believe someone the first time
he shows you what he is.

Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,884.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I would like to introduce option 5b: okay, that person is a lost cause. Now make sure (s)he doesn't spoil the youth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,076.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I would lie to introduce option 5b: okay, that person is a lost cause. Now make sure (s)he doesn't spoil the youth.
I get where you're going. Maybe we need a flow chart. At Item 5, when it says 'Nothing I can do about this', Maybe we need to add: '...about this person. Go to List 2 to Limit Damage.'

That chart would start with options: Isolation, Ridicule, Brute Force, Education etc. Each would have their own options.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,884.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I get where you're going. Maybe we need a flow chart. At Item 5, when it says 'Nothing I can do about this', Maybe we need to add: '...about this person. Go to List 2 to Limit Damage.'

That chart would start with options: Isolation, Ridicule, Brute Force, Education etc. Each would have their own options.
I got the idea of rather isolating leading creationists, rather than convincing them after watching some “debates” between science defenders and Kent Hovind. Too often I saw the science defender trying to convince Kent Hovind, explaining and arguing with him. Which felt more and more like an exercise in futility. There is no point of convincing someone as Kent Hovind. First, because it is his source of income he has every incentive to not change his opinion (or at least, his presentations). Second, that would be only one (aging) individual. Much more important are his followers. After all, they are plenty and provide his resources. Therefor exposing his errors, dirty tricks and lies in front of his followers should be the prime tactic.
The same applies of course to Ken Ham, Ray Comfort, John Pendleton etc.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Therefore exposing his errors, dirty tricks and lies in front of his followers should be the prime tactic.

The same applies of course to Ken Ham, Ray Comfort, John Pendleton etc.

If you're going to go that route, I would say the onus would be on you to expose them as such.

Let's say I believe the spirit of Elvis Presley inhabits my lawn mower.

Can you expose me as:
  1. Being in error?
  2. Purveying a dirty trick?
  3. Lying?

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why did so many people die during Hurricane Katrina. It was not the Hurricane, it as the levies breaking. It was bad Engendering. The Romans build bridges across rivers that exist today and we have bridges built across much smaller bodies of water that collapse. Climate Change...over 90% of scientist believe it to be real but many people say the 90% are all liars. A member of the U.S. senate held a snow ball in his hand as proof of Global Warming being fake. Or its real but were not making it speed up. When a disaster is coming people run, a scientist looks for a solution. Global warming is real, Storms are increasing number and in strength, famine and drought are at a all time high, were speeding up the process, the polar Ice is melting, at the speed its melting all costal cities will be under water in 100 years. What are all the people who say its fake gonna say then...oh wait nothing they will be dead and the mess will be left for our grandkids and there kids to fix. I am not a scientist, I got a C in biology but I can read and listen to the words of many of the most intelligent men and woman today and I supposed to ignore them and listen to senator who holds snowball in his hand.

In school I wasn't big on science, I got good grades but it was never going to be my life. Seems like you're the same except I was a straight A student.

The majority are the same. It's a certain type of brain that truly understands science.

My husband is a rocket scientist - literally - but he was all in on physics. Now myself I enjoy physics, always have, but I have no real mastery of it I'm sure. I'm brainless in front of the man with a 170 IQ who loves it.

I'm the manager type. No matter what job I had I always ended up thrown into management, no matter how much I tried avoiding it.

But there were truly 3 career possibilities for me and none of them were ever in science.

This is why the STEM fields are always struggling to find people, I think they are a rarer breed.

I will say we have a problem in America, but I'm thinking not to elaborate on that. For now, it's good to just acknowledge fewer are good at science than bad at it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,322.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think the design is hard for those arguing against it to sound effective. Argument there just has to appeal to unproven things.
"Appeal to unproven things: :D
The "ggod" you appeal to can
be proven to exist?

We've noticed that the scientifically / generally illiterate have the idea that saying "unproven" affects science like kryptonite.

It doesn't, any more than doex the next facile quip.

Nothing ever proven in court either tho saying so
would be equally lame.
There's formal proof in math.

What evolution dose use to explain origin of what
you are pleased to call " design" is a step by step
demonstration of how it developed in accordance
with known physical mechanisms.

"God went poof" is effective for the clueless
and oh- so- easily- satisfied. The lazy.

And for those who choose to think they know more
than every researcher on earth. With no study.

Amazing faith in themselves! Kinda arrogant and
withal preposterous.

And rather shocking dismissal of all the evidence for
the nature of such god as there may be.

The first life may or may not be god- planted.
Nobody knows.

From there, though, it developed to its present form
on its own, over vast stretches of time. As proven beyond reasonable doubt by every relevant fact existence.
God is behind all facts on earth, if he exists.
But that ain't "effective" for those who know better.

Of course there's those who not only know more than
anyone who actually studied, but know better
than the very god they say exists yet so disrespct.

What a sorry way to " give thanks".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,322.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Mayhaps God could have seen how science would work when he gifted mankind with it. Kind of like giving them a set of rules and then asking them to ignore the rules. Science has rules...can't just go willy-nilly ignoring them just because the conclusions don't make you happy.
" just because the conclusions don't make
you happy"

Aka intellectual dishonesty.

Some of the most egregiously dishonest
claim such base and ignoble behaviour is a
sign of Faith.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,884.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you're going to go that route, I would say the onus would be on you to expose them as such.

Let's say I believe the spirit of Elvis Presley inhabits my lawn mower.

Can you expose me as:
  1. Being in error?
  2. Purveying a dirty trick?
  3. Lying?
As long as you just believe that, I wouldn't care. The professional creationists (Kent Hovind, John Sarfati and the like), that try to disprove the Theory of Evolution, are committing the "errors, dirty tricks and lies". If you were to impose you Elvis delusion in the school curriculum, or draw patients away from regular treatments to faith healing, than the stakes would be much higher.
But the shear fact that you downgrade the damage inflicted by these professional creationists to the mere delusion that Elvis lives in your lawn mower is very telling about your inaccurate description of the issue.
To equate the work and influence of the professional creationists to just "believing something" is close to lying. As we can expect from a creationist (of whatever flavour).

• Winner
Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"God went poof" is effective for the clueless and oh - so- easily- satisfied.

The mission fields.

I would to God that everyone was just as "clueless and oh - so - satisfied."

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"just because the conclusions don't make you happy"

Aka intellectual dishonesty.

Do the conclusions make YOU happy?

Some of the most egregiously dishonest claim such base and ignoble behaviour is a sign of Faith.

We call "such ignoble behaviour" miracles.

Miracles circumvent science and nature and get the job done faster, easier, cleaner, and more efficiently than Mother Nature could ever hope to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As long as you just believe that, I wouldn't care. The professional creationists (Kent Hovind, John Sarfati and the like), that try to disprove the Theory of Evolution, are committing the "errors, dirty tricks and lies". If you were to impose you Elvis delusion in the school curriculum, or draw patients away from regular treatments to faith healing, than the stakes would be much higher.
But the shear fact that you downgrade the damage inflicted by these professional creationists to the mere delusion that Elvis lives in your lawn mower is very telling about your inaccurate description of the issue.
To equate the work and influence of the professional creationists to just "believing something" is close to lying. As we can expect from a creationist (of whatever flavour).

Now you're backtracking.

Are these guys "tricksters and liars" or aren't they?

If so, I think I know where the problem lies.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The banana started out as food for other animals.
We are half bananas. When I was in school and saw the first picture of a monkey to a man I rejected it and still do. I thought we were placed here by aliens and maybe Star Trek influenced my worldview. But back to bananas we share half the genetics, not the 96% in chimpanzees, imagine that.

Some have insinuated that I was science illiterate in other threads I consider myself semi illiterate. I have a little interest in health science and technology. From a Christian perspective, I feel the Creator instilled all the basic DNA for life on this planet and how our kind evolved we can see today.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever actually watched Kent Hovind’s debates? You can learn a lot by listening to the scientists and professors talk about the subject. Like when Dr Hartman openly admitted that there is no place on earth where you can actually go and witness the geological column. Or when Dr Rainbow admitted that we have never actually witnessed macro evolution or life deriving from chemicals. They both state that they have evidence that supports the theories but that the theories are largely based on predictions and assumptions. See these are the facts about the evolution theory that everyone seems to just ignore. Most people claim evolution to be a fact and completely ignore the fact that it is never actually been proven. They say oh we have tons of evidence, yeah tons of evidence that can be interpreted numerous different ways.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Have you ever actually watched Kent Hovind’s debates?
Speaking of science illiterates.

You can learn a lot by listening to the scientists and professors talk about the subject. Like when Dr Hartman openly admitted that there is no place on earth where you can actually go and witness the geological column. Or when Dr Rainbow admitted that we have never actually witnessed macro evolution or life deriving from chemicals. They both state that they have evidence that supports the theories but that the theories are largely based on predictions and assumptions. See these are the facts about the evolution theory that everyone seems to just ignore. Most people claim evolution to be a fact and completely ignore the fact that it is never actually been proven. They say oh we have tons of evidence, yeah tons of evidence that can be interpreted numerous different ways.
Never heard of either of these people nor are their facts relevant to anything.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We are half bananas.

So when we "go bananas," like these two did:

1713456773067.jpeg

... should we understand that it's just our genes manifesting themselves?

Upvote 0