Anyone notice that being a geek/nerd nowadays seems mainstream and normalized?

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
"Juvenilia?" Who talks like that?! (just teasing, La Bella. Honestly, your vernacular...as long is in proper context, which it is, is very engaging and compelling).

I'm not a follower. My parents were adamant that I shouldn't follow others. I was told to be a leader instead. I don't believe they knew my gifting at the time. I'm uncertain if they understood where the message would lead. But it anchored me and allowed me to be myself without apology. I don't want to fit in. :)

I come from the 80s geek culture. Big into pop culture.
Although, I don't play video games as much as used to. (back in my 20s and mid 30s)...I do play the Table Top variants that may as well be video games...but more socialized video games.

I played video games growing up. But I never related to the culture. I'm not a nerd or a geek. But that's true for others. I like things but I never align with the group. I love fashion but I'm not a fashionista. I'm an appreciator.

~Bella

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Old thread but it popped under a search I was doing. The non geek/nerd crowd can have a passing interest in geek/nerd stuff but it’s only passing.

Also I am more of a knowledge & sports-based nerd then a video game / movie/ comic nerd. I like learning, encyclopedias, & books about real things. That type is still non-mainstream unless you have a career that applies it (which I don’t).

If you know too much it's considered weird, whether real thing or video games/movies. Sometimes it's easier to play dumb.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ironically, those who have a knack for trivia rarely seem to monetize it. Or at least that's how it seems to me. I wonder why that is? The world runs on that kind of talent. I like to gather information, but mostly conceptual models that can be applied across multiple domains. The idea is to retain the useful bits, and apply what I learn to my own life, but factoids and amassing great wealth aren't big motivators for me. I just need enough for the security and freedom to pursue my own goals.
Some people just like to know things. Why are things the way they are? What do things do? What are other people doing & enjoying? What's it like doing this, what was it like doing that? I find things fascinating. You can get lost in it. It's addicting.
That kind of stuff isn't always able to be monetized unfortunately. I am practical. I do what I do for money b/c society's created a certain way you have to do certain things to make money. Money doesn't bring happiness anyways.

I recall that you're just a few years older than me. When I was in college, things like video games and anime were growing in popularity. One of my friends even started a "Japanimation" club. He was a responsible guy. Level-headed, earned good grades, got a secure job in a lucrative field upon graduation etc. As far as I'm aware, he's still into what he liked then.
The way I see it, enjoying video games (or furries, or whatever) is similar to liking professional sports. People of all ages enjoy games and other diversions as a way to unwind and engage in the camaraderie of shared interests. Why society deems some hobbies as juvenile and others as mature sometimes strikes me as arbitrary. Understandable, but not necessarily rational.
I think that's one of the reasons I'm a pro & college sports nerd despite not really being athletic. I didn't want to be the loser. I wanted to fit in. Sports were considered acceptable.

It’s a real interest now, but certainly social norms helped shape the interest. As well as being taken to games & the teams being good. It’s easy to get behind something & cheer for it. I have an underdog mentality too. I like seeing underdogs win, usually being an underdog myself. I suppose that’s why I’m not real athletic, I’d feel bad winning lol. I feel that way playing non-sporting events when I beat someone lol. If I was a champion, I'd feel incomplete. I'd think to myself 'that's all there is?'

Watching a fantasy cartoon: dumb & nerdy
Watching the playoffs: cool

I’m reminded of savants you used to see who can list every baseball players stats, birthdates, weights, years played, etc. These people generally not athletic but loved that information anyways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Some people just like to know things. Why are things the way they are? What do things do? What are other people doing & enjoying? What's it like doing this, what was it like doing that? I find things fascinating. You can get lost in it. It's addicting.
That kind of stuff isn't always able to be monetized unfortunately. I am practical. I do what I do for money b/c society's created a certain way you have to do certain things to make money. Money doesn't bring happiness anyways.

I think that's one of the reasons I'm a pro & college sports nerd despite not really being athletic. I didn't want to be the loser. I wanted to fit in. Sports were considered acceptable.

It’s a real interest now, but certainly social norms helped shape the interest. As well as being taken to games & the teams being good. It’s easy to get behind something & cheer for it. I have an underdog mentality too. I like seeing underdogs win, usually being an underdog myself. I suppose that’s why I’m not real athletic, I’d feel bad winning lol. I feel that way playing non-sporting events when I beat someone lol. If I was a champion, I'd feel incomplete. I'd think to myself 'that's all there is?'

Watching a fantasy cartoon: dumb & nerdy
Watching the playoffs: cool

I’m reminded of savants you used to see who can list every baseball players stats, birthdates, weights, years played, etc. These people generally not athletic but loved that information anyways.
I’ve always loved learning for the sake of learning. This doesn’t necessarily make me Jeopardy contestant material, but it does mean I understand how lots of things work. Sometimes, better than folks who are more oriented around reciting lists. Although That’s what I was getting at in the post you quoted.

Not that one approach is better than the other. Another college friend could rattle off stats for just about every professional athlete going back decades, and his enthusiasm was contagious. Sports can also be thought of as a metaphor for life. Competition, cooperation, back-stories, and the struggle against adversity is all part of the game. Pun intended, I suppose.

Money may not bring happiness, but financial security does provide a layer of protection against otherwise difficult times. I do well enough financially, but I'm more of a saver than a spender.

There are different kinds of nerds, to be sure. Even pointing the finger at myself. Some might be able to tell you the first episode of Doctor Who that featured K-9, for instance. I may not know the answer to that question, but I did build a cardboard mockup when I was a kid. From the experience, I learned a little about robotics and how abstract shapes can be made to resemble a dog.

For what it's worth, the fantasy cartoon sounds more interesting to me than watching the playoffs, but I get the appeal of both. What would be more my style, however, is to personally play the sport or make a creative project of my own.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The pandemic has accelerated technology adoption. Tons of people that were stuck home went out to get large TVs, video games, VR devices, etc. Another facet of the pandemic and other stressors like the war could be that people seek an escape so fantasy novels, shows, and all that would be more appealing than ever.

• Informative
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0