• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Anyone know anything about the NIV2011?

Discussion in 'Non-denominational' started by Joy4Him, Jun 23, 2013.

1. TR: Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος καὶ ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος
    Word for Word: In beginning was the word and the word was toward the God and God was the Word
    KJV:In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2. TR: καὶ ἐπιγνοὺς ὅτι ἐκ τῆς ἐξουσίας Ἡρῴδου ἐστὶν ἀνέπεμψεν αὐτὸν πρὸς Ἡρῴδην ὄντα καὶ αὐτὸν ἐν Ἱεροσολύμοις ἐν ταύταις ταῖς ἡμέραις

Word for Word: and perceived because from the jurisdiction herod he sent him toward herod being also himself at jerusalem in same that time

KJV: And as soon as he knew that he belonged unto Herod's jurisdiction, he sent him to Herod, who himself also was at Jerusalem at that time.

(Luke 23:7)

Pick a verse and I'll word for word translate it.

3. endtimewarrior

endtimewarrior Soldier of Truth

+1
    Christian
    Private
    No, thank you. I don't need you translating scripture for me. I own Interlinear Bibles.

4. endtimewarrior

+1
    Christian
    Private
    Here is another source (biblestudytools.com) that claims word-for-word translations exist: Click Here

5. I just did two verses in word for word translations. Did I get the word order wrong?

6. Either:
    - I got the word order wrong
    - There is no such thing as word for word

7. endtimewarrior

+1
    Christian
    Private
    or
    - You have no idea what you're talking about.

8. Not going to work. Was the word order wrong?

9. classicalhero

classicalhero Junior Member

+396
    Baptist
    Single
    AU-Liberals
    You are being rather obtuse here. You know that translators first translate each word from the original language and then they put it together to make it readable in English. This is the best way to translate any language into another language.

10. That's not how you do translations from ancient languages. You can't take a block of words, translate each word and expect it to make a sensible sentence by arranging them in the right order. Each word might have multiple meanings or implications. The conjugation, declension, or other forms of modification have to be compared among all other words in the section.

11. Sword of the Lord

Sword of the Lord In need of a physician.

+7,288
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    endtimewarrior is frustratingly childish

12. DarylFawcett

DarylFawcett Ticket Support Manager | HR Manager Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+2,606
    Canada
    SDA
    Married
    MOD HAT ON!!!!

As a result of a deleted post, a thread cleanup was also done, therefore,, if your post is missing, this is why they are missing.

Please be nice in your choice of words in any future posts here. Focus on the topic and not on the person posting.

MOD HAT OFF!!!

13. The Conductor

The Conductor Χριστῷ συνεσταύρωμαι

+34
    Christian
    Single
    I'd say that if you can, try to get an NIV 1984 instead. That being said, a translation is a translation. If you feel like the gender inclusive language is good, then go for it. I'm sorry that this thread got so derailed.

14. Joy4Him

Joy4Him Newbie

+1
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Thanks for answering my question. I just wanted to know if the NIV would be considered just as reliable as any other translation, thanks for helping to answer that.

15. Colleen1

Colleen1 Legend

+2,025
    Christian
    Private
    There are some differences between the NKJV and the NIV but to be honest... I prefer using both translations when studying. However, I have an older NIV translation as well and would not go with the new NIV if what you say is true...

16. Colleen1

Colleen1 Legend

+2,025
    Christian
    Private
    I have the original edition of the Life Application Study Bible and I like it but that too is an older NIV version.

17. ancientsoul

ancientsoul queen of broken hearts

+3,280
    Christian
    Private
    Isaiah 14:12 ... can you add the NIV?

18. ancientsoul

+3,280
    Christian
    Private
    i am a die-hard KJV ... the Lord says if you seek Him you will find Him ... He didn't specify translation ... i believe He does what He says ... meets you where YOU are ... not the scholars, not the neighbor ... not whomever ... if you use an NIV, He can meet you there just as well ...

i don't know anything about gender/nuetral ...

that being said, I would like to make a small statement about the translations ... if one is desiring to dig a little deeper than they have been, i would stick to the KJV ... if for no other reason than most of the standard study aids are compatible ... concordances, dictionaries, etc. ... there are other reasons, but in the scope of things i think this is enough ... jmo

19. ancientsoul

+3,280
    Christian
    Private
    :sorry: and maybe Ezekiel 13:18 ... tyvm

20. Yahu

Yahu Jezebel's bain

+210
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    I would NEVER use any form of NIV for study purposes. Granted you can find errors in most translation if you know what to look for.