Anyone know anything about the NIV2011?

Joy4Him

Jun 10, 2013
✟7,651.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I asked this on another board but it was never answered so I hope someone here can help.

Is anyone hear familiar with the NIV 2011, by that I mean actually read it. I've read about the controversy surrounding it and have compared it to other translations but since I'm not a scholar I really don't know. Seems most of what I read about the controversy over the NIV 2011 is rather reactionary and based on just what they've heard about it.

I'm considering buying a hard copy if the NIV but I don't want to waste my money if it really is an untrustworthy translation. A friend of mine mentioned that the NLT has the same gender-nuetral language in it but no one complains about it. i dont know if that is true or not but if it is why would people be ok with the NLT but not the NIV. Thanks for any help.

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I asked this on another board but it was never answered so I hope someone here can help.

Is anyone hear familiar with the NIV 2011, by that I mean actually read it. I've read about the controversy surrounding it and have compared it to other translations but since I'm not a scholar I really don't know. Seems most of what I read about the controversy over the NIV 2011 is rather reactionary and based on just what they've heard about it.

I'm considering buying a hard copy if the NIV but I don't want to waste my money if it really is an untrustworthy translation. A friend of mine mentioned that the NLT has the same gender-nuetral language in it but no one complains about it. i dont know if that is true or not but if it is why would people be ok with the NLT but not the NIV. Thanks for any help.

My wife and I have copies of the NIV 1984 edition.

My wife because of her cognitive impairment from multiple sclerosis finds it easier to read from the NIV than any other of the Bibles, especially over the KJV. So she only really reads from the NIV.

If you can and want to stick with the NIV, try and find a copy of the 1984 edition.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I would not use the NIV it is garbage.

Use the ESV, NASB, NKJV or better yet use the KJV if you can.

My wife has tried those other versions, but for her, the NIV is the easiest for her to read. I will not say she needs to read something else when the NIV still points to Christ and it's the easiest one for her to read because of her multiple sclerosis.

I myself read from the HCSB currently.

Upvote 0

endtimewarrior

Soldier of Truth
Jun 19, 2013
✟373.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My wife has tried those other versions, but for her, the NIV is the easiest for her to read. I will not say she needs to read something else when the NIV still points to Christ and it's the easiest one for her to read because of her multiple sclerosis.

I myself read from the HCSB currently.

The NIV maybe fine for your wife since she has MS. But I'm addressing the OP and as far as I know she has no illness that would bar her from using another translation.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
The NIV maybe fine for your wife since she has MS. But I'm addressing the OP and as far as I know she has no illness that would bar her from using another translation.

So if it's fine for my wife, then obviously, it carries the same message as the other ones, yes?

My wife is saved and by reading the NIV, she continues to read God's message to us. It's the same message that is in the Bibles that you posted as well. It points people to Christ, teaches people about who our God is and shows people that Christ died for our sins, the same as any other Bible.

There is nothing wrong with the NIV and it is a fine translation, whether for my wife or someone that doesn't have her illness.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2013
✟7,738.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would not use the NIV it is garbage.

What is your basis for that?

Use the ESV, NASB, NKJV or better yet use the KJV if you can.

KJV? The KJV is probably the worst translation available. We have better manuscripts available today and the language is outdated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Conductor

Χριστῷ συνεσταύρωμαι
Mar 27, 2013
Canada
Visit site
✟8,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Conductor

Χριστῷ συνεσταύρωμαι
Mar 27, 2013
Canada
Visit site
✟8,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I kid you not, there are parts of speech in Hebrew that have no equivalent in English and mean absolutely nothing when translated. There is a particle that just sits in front of the accusative noun. That's all it does. English has such a mind-blowingly different grammatical system that no English word could ever come close to expressing it. If you want word-for-word, here's Genesis 1:1: "Inbeginning created God et (I kid you not this word has no English equivalent) theheavens andet (still means nothing to you) theearth."

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2013
✟7,738.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I kid you not, there are parts of speech in Hebrew that have no equivalent in English and mean absolutely nothing when translated. There is a particle that just sits in front of the accusative noun. That's all it does. English has such a mind-blowingly different grammatical system that no English word could ever come close to expressing it. If you want word-for-word, here's Genesis 1:1: "Inbeginning created God et (I kid you not this word has no English equivalent) theheavens andet (still means nothing to you) theearth."

That's not even the beginning of all the issues of translation. If you take an advanced class in language, especially one that is not related to your own, and everyone translates a sentence or paragraph on their own, all their translations will be different, and they will all be right. There are just different ways to convey the same meaning.

As an example, if you translated Greek word for word, it could make no sense. Greek is a declension language and word order doesn't matter. You have to slightly change the word to indicate what its roll is in the sentence.

Hebrew would be written in present tense.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others

If I remember correctly, the English language is the hardest to learn overall because it does't really match any other language grammatically.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2013
✟7,738.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well there's no arguing with such educated scholars. lol

The King James Version is a "literal translation" versus the NIV which is a paraphrase.

Both translations try to translate the texts with the closest meaning possible. You cannot translate a text 'word for word' or 'literally'.

Upvote 0