Anyone Here Who Likes Crafts? (Knitting, sewing, etc)

Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I love to knit. I mostly stick to small projects as I am a slow knitter. I recently finished a cover for a mobile phone and a tea cosy. The pattern for the latter was taken from an old booklet of patterns my mother bought for my sisters and me when we were kids.

Gillian

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I like to sew. My grandmother taught me. She owned a sewing shop, and did amazing work. The things she made did not look homemade. It looked like you could pull it off the rack at a Dillard's or find it in a bridal shop.

I'd like to try earning money with sewing and crafts, but I've not been able to pull that together.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
EB916FDA-EBF9-412F-8845-E6785E897D83.jpeg
I’m a quilter and I like designing my own patterns . My oldest wanted one that looked like a firework - a ground blooming flower .

Upvote 0

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've done a few patchwork bed covers with material I bought at jumble sales. I bought dresses for a few pence and cut them up as I couldn't afford to buy new fabric. I made three duvet covers with squares on the machine working out how many squares of each pattern I had and creating a pattern to follow on graph paper. The other two I made were hand sewn hexagonals.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I’ve never done a hexagonal pattern but I do use graph paper to design mine . That blue and green one was a graph paper design that I enlarged. I use Malcolm X’s idea to make the quilts.” By any means necessary “. Patchwork , appliqué ,reverse appliqué, sew it together and cut patches out of it , partial Seams, etc

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’ve never done a hexagonal pattern but I do use graph paper to design mine . That blue and green one was a graph paper design that I enlarged. I use Malcolm X’s idea to make the quilts.” By any means necessary “. Patchwork , appliqué ,reverse appliqué, sew it together and cut patches out of it , partial Seams, etc
I've had one on the go now for years with very small hexagons but it usually only come out in the summer when I'm sitting outside and it's too hot to do much else. I'll try to take a pic of it and post it.

Upvote 0

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I enjoy sewing, patternmaking, quilting and needlework. Right now I’m working on a skirt (as part of a class) for my fall capsule.
I remember making a skirt at school but I never was much good at dressmaking unless it was an easy pattern.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I remember making a skirt at school but I never was much good at dressmaking unless it was an easy pattern.

My instructor is weaving dressmaking in the class. We’re learning to make pattern adjustments from the start. If you want to learn now Bluprint has an excellent series.

Upvote 0

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My instructor is weaving dressmaking in the class. We’re learning to make pattern adjustments from the start. If you want to learn now Bluprint has an excellent series.
We also learned to adjust patterns but I'm not great with a sewing machine, especially on intricate patterns. I'm ok on straight seams like curtains and pillowcases etc but would get myself into a mess on collars and the like. I hope you enjoy wearing your skirt.

Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
We also learned to adjust patterns but I'm not great with a sewing machine, especially on intricate patterns. I'm ok on straight seams like curtains and pillowcases etc but would get myself into a mess on collars and the like. I hope you enjoy wearing your skirt.

Thank you. I want to learn couture and tailoring. There’s a lot of hand sewing in each.

Not to worry. Many prefer home decor over garment construction. :)

Upvote 0

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. I want to learn couture and tailoring. There’s a lot of hand sewing in each.

Not to worry. Many prefer home decor over garment construction. :)
We have a programme on our TV here in the UK where ten sewers are given three different challenges each week which are then judged by professionals. Each week one drops out until there is a winner. I find it fascinating to watch people creating and altering all sorts of garments within a deadline. And I believe the sales of sewing machines rocketed after the programme started.

Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
When it comes to sewing I only really know about making plushies. I've made a few home decor-type things but I'm better at plushies; never tried quilting. I think I'd be totally lost at making clothing. ^_^

I have still never used any sewing machine seams besides the straight stitch for any projects. That's about all you need for plushie-making, anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have still never used any sewing machine seams besides the straight stitch
Me too, although my machine has a variety of stiches. I much prefer to mend or hem by hand. When my girls were small I used to make clothes for their Barbies and loved the small stitching so when they grew out of dolls I began to do patchwork which used the same sort of small stitches.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
We have a programme on our TV here in the UK where ten sewers are given three different challenges each week which are then judged by professionals. Each week one drops out until there is a winner. I find it fascinating to watch people creating and altering all sorts of garments within a deadline. And I believe the sales of sewing machines rocketed after the programme started.

Is that the Sewing Bee? I’ve never watched it but plan to binge a few episodes. I suspect we had similar results with Project Runway.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
When it comes to sewing I only really know about making plushies. I've made a few home decor-type things but I'm better at plushies; never tried quilting. I think I'd be totally lost at making clothing. ^_^

I have still never used any sewing machine seams besides the straight stitch for any projects. That's about all you need for plushie-making, anyway.

Plushies take work! I marvel over Tilda’s pieces until I read the instructions and start contemplating a kit. :)

Upvote 0

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is that the Sewing Bee? I’ve never watched it but plan to binge a few episodes. I suspect we had similar results with Project Runway.
Yes, the Great British Sewing Bee. Always makes it look easy but I know I couldn't do it.

Upvote 0