Anyone Here Who Likes Crafts? (Knitting, sewing, etc)

starryshadows

Feb 6, 2018
USA
✟36,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anyone here who likes to do crafts like sewing, knitting, crocheting, cross-stitching, weaving, etc? I really love knitting and I have made things like scarves, hats, gloves, and even stuffed animals for friends. I'm interested in learning to sew and to weave, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm looking into getting a mini loom. If you like crafts, what is your favorite kind? Are you working on any projects now? :)

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there, I have always made things and used to be a very good knitter and enjoyed crochet and embroidery all my life. My eyes are not as good as they were though and so my work isn't as neat as it once was and I gave up. But about a year ago I was nominated to design and make a sampler for my women's group and did it in felt and from then on I was hooked and have made fish, jellyfish, robins, hearts, owls, Christmas puddings and garlands. It's nice to meet a fellow crafter. What are you working on at present?

Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I love to sew! I mainly make stuffed animals. :) I'm no expert, but I'm learning more and more over time. That's awesome that you enjoy knitting and have made stuffed animals too. ^-^ I'd love to see some of your work sometime, and maybe I could give you some sewing tips sometime if you'd like. The plush Pikachu in my avatar is an example of my sewing work, though I did not make the pattern for it.

Upvote 0

starryshadows

Feb 6, 2018
USA
✟36,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi there, I have always made things and used to be a very good knitter and enjoyed crochet and embroidery all my life. My eyes are not as good as they were though and so my work isn't as neat as it once was and I gave up. But about a year ago I was nominated to design and make a sampler for my women's group and did it in felt and from then on I was hooked and have made fish, jellyfish, robins, hearts, owls, Christmas puddings and garlands. It's nice to meet a fellow crafter. What are you working on at present?
Wow that is so awesome! I love creative projects like that, it's so much fun. Do you create your own patterns or do you like to go from patterns other people have made? Are you working on anything right now?
I'm about to start on a knitted lace pattern cowl for my sister in law. :) But I'm also looking around at different patterns to do a new project. I'm thinking about making a stuffed animal for my nephew!

Upvote 0

starryshadows

Feb 6, 2018
USA
✟36,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I love to sew! I mainly make stuffed animals. :) I'm no expert, but I'm learning more and more over time. That's awesome that you enjoy knitting and have made stuffed animals too. ^-^ I'd love to see some of your work sometime, and maybe I could give you some sewing tips sometime if you'd like. The plush Pikachu in my avatar is an example of my sewing work, though I did not make the pattern for it.
Wow, that is awesome! The Pikachu looks great!! It looks very professional. :) I made a mini stuffed animal cat for a friend; I also sewed the face for it, but it was very hard lol! I'd love tips for sewing, thank you! :D How did you learn to sew? Sure, most everything I make I give away, but maybe I can take a picture of my next project!

Upvote 0

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow that is so awesome! I love creative projects like that, it's so much fun. Do you create your own patterns or do you like to go from patterns other people have made? Are you working on anything right now?
I'm about to start on a knitted lace pattern cowl for my sister in law. :) But I'm also looking around at different patterns to do a new project. I'm thinking about making a stuffed animal for my nephew!

I've never made my own knitting pattern but have occasionally adapted a pattern. Most of the felt things I've made have been from templates in the backs of the books I bought. Again some I adapted and some things I designed myself. The last crochet project was a cot blanket for my now two year old grandaughter.

Reactions: starryshadows
Upvote 0

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow, that is awesome! The Pikachu looks great!! It looks very professional. :) I made a mini stuffed animal cat for a friend; I also sewed the face for it, but it was very hard lol! I'd love tips for sewing, thank you! :D How did you learn to sew? Sure, most everything I make I give away, but maybe I can take a picture of my next project!

I would like to see a pic and would post one of my own if I knew how. But I'm sure I'll learn in time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
DSCF2800.JPG

These are some of the felt fish I made for a special charity Christmas tree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ms.smith

Apr 1, 2019
Arkansas
✟22,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I love sewing. I sew stuff for my kids mostly. I make shoes for them. For Christmas, I also made them 18" dolls. I'd love to make more, but time is scarce when you have little kids at home.

Upvote 0

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I love sewing. I sew stuff for my kids mostly. I make shoes for them. For Christmas, I also made them 18" dolls. I'd love to make more, but time is scarce when you have little kids at home.

Wow, sounds great. I have been a reluctant dress maker as me and sewing machines just don't on. I've made curtains and cushion cover on the machine but I much prefer hand stitching, like patchwork and dolls clothes.

Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

ms.smith

Apr 1, 2019
Arkansas
✟22,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to try and post some pictures of my shoes. Be patient, I haven't used the photo uploader on here yet.

There are pictures of the first round of shoes I made for the kids last year, I gave them light up laces for Christmas. The dolls are before finishing and before I wrapped them up, Christmas Eve.

Attachments

• IMG_20181225_100907164.jpg
    IMG_20181225_100907164.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20181225_100936490.jpg
    IMG_20181225_100936490.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20181222_233956897.jpg
    IMG_20181222_233956897.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20181225_100819791.jpg
    IMG_20181225_100819791.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Thank you! :satisfied: I understand how you felt about the cat, faces are very hard to sew! I've tried both hand-embroidering them and sewing on fabric faces; both take a lot of time. I prefer to use plastic eyes and noses when I can. I learned to sew from a counselor I was seeing back in 2014 who knew how to hand-sew stuffed animals. At first I sewed by hand, but now I use a sewing machine. I make patterns as well but I'm still learning at that.

I made a thread about sewing tips on here a few years ago, but it's a bit outdated so I really should see about making a new one sometime: Multi's Guide of Sewing Tips

If you ever have any specific sewing questions feel free to ask me also. :)

These are so cute!

Reactions: starryshadows
Upvote 0

ms.smith

Apr 1, 2019
Arkansas
✟22,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The littlest child's shoes are made from the denim from my husband's old jeans. He lost weight so we had some heavier denim to use.

The middle pair are made from a pair of purple pants my daughter tore a hole in. The side pieces were glitterfied with glittler and modge podge. They have a leather toe piece and leather heel cup. The leather was from a $5 pack of leather remnants from Hobby Lobby.

The biggest pair are made from my husband's old jeans on the side, leather on from the remnant bag on the tongue, toe piece, and heel cup. The catboy and catcar image are from a remnant found a JoAnn.

All three are lined with wool cut from blazers found at the goodwill, deconstructed and felted in the washing machine. I really like upcycling things.

Also made a pair of shoes for myself from the remnant leather bag. And my littlest's second pair from the same $5 bag.

I went back and bought an $8 on 30% off to do some more shoes.

Upvote 0
Feb 11, 2019
Texas
✟46,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I crochet, make jewelry, and embroider! I crocheted a scarf recently, and my current embroidery project is a cross-stitch of a wreath of flowers and two hummingbirds.

View attachment 254217
These are some of the felt fish I made for a special charity Christmas tree.
They're so cute! I love the color combinations you chose!

Upvote 0