Anyone here who are Protestant converts what were you?

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Attended Sunday school in a combined Methodist/Presbyterian church in youth. Confirmed when I should not have been ( I wasn't a monster, I was unbaptized & poorly catechized, also my fault). Held eclectic beliefs over 25 years & rarely attended church.

The 9/11 attack on 2001 shook me and I slowly became Christian.In 2003, I began to seek a church for worship and for the next year I went from a fundamentalist church, to a 4 Square Pentecostal church ( which was a decent congregation overall).

In August 2004, I was going to be baptized into the 4 Square Church at a picnic. Almost out of the blue, a thougt hit me that I never attended the Orthodox Church of my father's family & just knew it as the "Syrian" church. On the Sunday I was to join the 4 square church, I just decided to attend my first Divine Liturgy. Within a few weeks I inquired about Orthodoxy, was catechized for several months, & baptized & chrismated on Holy Saturday 2005. It was probably easier for me since I had relatives in our church ( my one uncle even became Orthodox again before passing away in 2009).

I have always respected the Catholic Church but only briefly considered it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And did you consider Roman Catholism first? There was a thread awhile ago featuring converts to Catholicism who later became Orthodox but I can't find it. It was an interesting thread.
Anyway Protestant converts what made you convert to EO? Especially since in North America(excepting maybe Alaska) there are so few EO churches around to experience.
Did you have trouble finding a place to worship.
I still plan on attending a church about 80 miles away, a Greek Orthodox church.
I can't wait but I work nights and weekends and hubby ain't feeling it so he's in no hurry so I'll have to plan a time. Winter's over so traveling is better now for a few months at least LOL here in the North.
Hubby did say if there was a parish closer he would like to attend but he doesn't like the idea of a long distance church since we were so heavily involved in the one were in when our kids were young. Although we're getting older so not as involved but would like to be.
I was raised Catholic and saw too much structural hypocrisy to accept most of it, which was interesting because it taught me how to survive in a hostile environment. When they tried to indoctrinate me into transubstantiation when I was in 4th grade, I knew I had to keep my head down until I was old enough to walk away.

Upvote 0

Alegrias16

Newly Chrismated
Feb 15, 2017
Baltimore, MD
✟12,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm a cradle Episcopalian and grew up with a strong foundation there, but I did not attend services often as an adult. Most of my closest friends have been RC, so I've spent time with them in their churches but never for a moment considered changing camps.

Then I met my SO. I didn't know anything about the Orthodox Church, wanted to learn more, so started reading. I burned through the first book, grabbed another, and burned through that one, too. I asked him if I could go to church with him in late January. When I attended Divine Liturgy, I knew I was home but needed to process what that meant. Each Orthodox Church I have visited has felt like that. First Wednesday in Lent, I attended Great Compline at an Orthodox Church then hopped over to the Episcopal one to get my ashes for Ash Wednesday. I felt like I was still bobbing in the Volga. I had been in Lent mode for several days already, as I had taken part in Forgiveness Vespers and was fasting. I listened to the service and went through the motions, but I felt like I did not belong. I heard echoes and fragments of the Orthodox service in the Episcopal service, but it was not complete. I haven't been back to the Episcopal church since. I haven't had any impediments in accepting Orthodoxy. I never thought the filioque made much sense; I already believed in real presence for Communion (although that goes against Episcopal canon); I already thought there are seven sacraments; I've prayed for the dead and prayed to saints. My very slight hesitation with veneration of the Theotokos was fixed swiftly with a reading of "The Orthodox Veneration of the Mother of God" and by listening and opening my heart to the prayers in Liturgy and other services. I will be Chrismated in 11 days. (I can't wait!!!)

Finding a place to worship hasn't been a problem. I go to my SO's (soon to be my) Church. It's about an hour away. I don't mind the drive; they are my family. Around my home, Orthodox Churches are like candy of every flavor, there are so many. When I travel for work, it hasn't been an issue yet, but it will be eventually. Some of the places we go are pretty rural. For my last trip, I was blessed to be in a town with the only Orthodox Church for 140 miles.

Upvote 0

Christina C

Sep 23, 2016
England
✟26,752.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
From what I read about England, sadly it looks like Christianity in general isn't common over there! If it weren't for Catholics, doesn't seem like there'd be a church? Isn't the attendance in CofE parishes at an insanely low point right now?
I could quote a lot of statistics, but if you are interested, take a look at this site. Yes, Church membership and attendancce is generally in decline across the UK, not just within the C of E. Membership of and attendance st RC Churches is in decline as well. In fact most of the more well known Protestant denominations show a decline. However, if you look at the stats, you'll notice an increase in Orthodox membership as well as various types of new Churches.

A couple of top line stats - UK Church membership declined from 10.6 million in 1930 (30% of the population) to 5.4 million in 2013 (10.3% of the population. Church attendance (as opposed to membership) has fallen from 11.8% of the population in 1980 to 5% of the population in 2015.

Faith Survey | Christianity in the UK

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was baptised Lutheran as a baby and lived my youth and my young adult life as a traditional Lutheran and then a conservative Evangelical. At university I participated in Evangelical para-church groups such as InterVarsity and upon graduation, grew and thrived in a charismatic Anglican Church.

And I would probably be a happy, clappy Anglican if I were still living in the UK. But I moved and married a Roman Catholic woman and for the first time in my long Christian life, began to read the ante-Nicene Church Fathers. My initial intention was to win a bet and show my Opus Dei wife that I was right and she was wrong and that authentic, Early Church Christianity looked like my "low" Anglican Church.

What did I learn? Well, the Early Church did not look like the Roman Catholic Church, much to my relief. I discovered nothing in the Fathers about an infallible Pope of Rome with universal jurisdiction and no belief in Pugatory, indulgences or the Immaculate Conception. I hung out for a while on Catholic Answers forum to try to test my hypotheses, but they were not particularly interested in my discoveries. (Besides, once a particular poster there named Gurney got banned, things went very quiet. So I went and got myself banned as well, for good measure...it was very trendy for a time).

As I read the Fathers, my smug delight at thinking I "won" the bet with my Roman Catholic wife--"hurray, the Early Church wasn't papist", I thought--soon turned to dismay as I realised that I was wrong too. The Early Church was not Evangelical. I tried to avoid it at first. "Wow, I can't believe how St. Ignatius of Antioch misunderstood New Covenant Christianity". Lord have mercy!

But soon I fell in love with the Fathers and their love for and commitment to Christ. And so I vowed that I would live like a first century Christian. I prayed twice a day, morning and evening. I fasted on Wednesday and Friday, as described by the Didache. It sounds laughable, I know, but I was sort of "Orthodox" even before I discovered Orthodoxy.

But then I did. And Orthodoxy matched what I was reading from the Fathers more than anything else I had known. So it seemed true. And it was good, too: all that fasting and praying actually had a palpable effect on how I lived and behaved.

So I became Orthodox, after trying everything else. What motivates me now, however, is not because Orthodoxy is true or good, though it is, but rather because it is beautiful. We live around such ugliness, or at least I do. But Orthodoxy is beautiful, and as Dostoyevsky wrote, "beauty will save the world".

So, I guess I lost my bet with my wife. But I gained truth, goodness and most importantly, beauty.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
And did you consider Roman Catholism first? There was a thread awhile ago featuring converts to Catholicism who later became Orthodox but I can't find it. It was an interesting thread.
Anyway Protestant converts what made you convert to EO? Especially since in North America(excepting maybe Alaska) there are so few EO churches around to experience.
Did you have trouble finding a place to worship.
I still plan on attending a church about 80 miles away, a Greek Orthodox church.
I can't wait but I work nights and weekends and hubby ain't feeling it so he's in no hurry so I'll have to plan a time. Winter's over so traveling is better now for a few months at least LOL here in the North.
Hubby did say if there was a parish closer he would like to attend but he doesn't like the idea of a long distance church since we were so heavily involved in the one were in when our kids were young. Although we're getting older so not as involved but would like to be.

I'm not a convert, but "Orthocurios". What's ultimately led me to the EO more than Catholicism (though I do feel drawn that direction as well) is that I think the EO church gets the understanding of sin, salvation, and Hell right. I grew up Churches of Christ, who formed under the assumption of starting over and going back to the basics, and they ended up having a view of sin very close to the Eastern Orthodox. The Western idea of original sin is something that I've never been able to get behind as being remotely Biblical.
The other thing is a thorough study of church history, and it is true that Jesus founded one catholic church that continues to this day through apostolic succession. The only thing I'm not certain about is who was right regarding the issues of papal authority during the Great Schism, to be honest, I see both sides fairly well.

Upvote 0

Orthodoxjay1

Sep 21, 2015
✟58,504.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I grew up in a Lutheran family, albeit Church was like Christmas, and Easter, My Great Grandparents who passed away when I was very young were very devout however , out of the whole family. I also attended a very Calvinist oriented Church as a child, that now totally non-denominational. A lot of friends, and some family members were Catholic - either through Conversion, or as cradles. I feel away from Christianity in my younger teenage/young adult years, went through a terrible phase in Atheism, and even dabbled in New age nonsense, although never officially belonging to any groups. Long story short I felt a calling to find the Church, I felt there was a actual living Church. Studied every "denomination" that there is within Christianity. I found the Reformation to be a huge disaster causing Schisms, divisions, heterodoxy, and innovations. I almost became a Catholic but I couldn't reconcile the history of the Pope with Tradition, and scripture, then when I learned about the Immaculate Conception, Purgatory, Original Guilt, Treasury of Merit, Scholasticism, etc. then learning of the dramatic changes since VaticanII, I knew Rome wasn't for me. I believe the Holy Spirit guided me to the One True Church, and the fullness of the faith, that neither adds or subtracts from Scripture, or Tradition.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The only thing I'm not certain about is who was right regarding the issues of papal authority during the Great Schism, to be honest, I see both sides fairly well.

We'll be more than happy to answer that for you. ;)

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship

We'll be more than happy to answer that for you. ;)

Thank you, but the main drawback I have over both is that they both seem to neglect reason, in other words, don't ever seem to think critically about their beliefs. For example, I am 100% for women's ordination because when you look at scripture and tradition critically, I do not think the same prohibitions from the first century apply today. Regardless, What is your answer to my conundrum?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you, but the main drawback I have over both is that they both seem to neglect reason, in other words, don't ever seem to think critically about their beliefs. For example, I am 100% for women's ordination because when you look at scripture and tradition critically, I do not think the same prohibitions from the first century apply today. Regardless, What is your answer to my conundrum?

Your answer is the same as my answer. Find the church and submit to its decisions and teaching. If you are for women's ordination and THE CHURCH is not, then your opposition is basically a self ordination as bishop or worse, pope.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, but the main drawback I have over both is that they both seem to neglect reason, in other words, don't ever seem to think critically about their beliefs. For example, I am 100% for women's ordination because when you look at scripture and tradition critically, I do not think the same prohibitions from the first century apply today.

that's a common critique, but I think I would say that we have looked at it critically. the Orthodox point of view is that spiritual Fatherhood and Motherhood are unique, and equal in dignity in the eyes of God. so while we will say that ordination has been given to men, the role of the woman in the life of the Church is just as important and complimentary. and both men and women are called to partake in the Eucharist and attain to holiness. seriously, if you wanna see, check out an abbess.

Regardless, What is your answer to my conundrum?

there is no history of one bishop being above all other bishops. and that has never been the case. a look at Church history you never see the Pope being treated as the head the way he wanted it.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
there is no history of one bishop being above all other bishops. and that has never been the case. a look at Church history you never see the Pope being treated as the head the way he wanted it.

I kind of lean more towards this side slightly, but I'm not 100% convinced.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Mind if I ask where your reservations may lie?

What did the other bishops think about moving the primary seat of the Church from Rome to Constantinople? Was it an entirely a political thing that the "Primary" Bishop was in Rome to begin with and then moved or was there actual Church reasons behind the initial setting of the Primary seat in Rome to begin with and/or then moving? If it was a political for the second but not the first, does that it make a valid decision?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship

What did the other bishops think about moving the primary seat of the Church from Rome to Constantinople? Was it an entirely a political thing that the "Primary" Bishop was in Rome to begin with and then moved or was there actual Church reasons behind the initial setting of the Primary seat in Rome to begin with and/or then moving? If it was a political for the second but not the first, does that it make a valid decision?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
primacy was never moved because Old Rome at the time never lost status. the only one who gained was Constantinople, which miffed Alexandria. however, since no bishop has ever had authority over his brother bishops, it was never a theological issue. it is right and valid because it helps maintain good order.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Regardless, What is your answer to my conundrum?
When I said "we" I didn't necessarily mean to include myself :) but I know there're many folks in this forum who know the issues and history and evidence a lot better than me. I know because it was an issue for me when I was an inquirer and, apart from other reading, back in the day I paid attention to some debate threads between Orthodox and Catholics, and long story short, the Orthodox convinced me and the other guys didn't. So if you want to chat about it here or in a separate thread, feel free.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I kind of lean more towards this side slightly, but I'm not 100% convinced.
Have you read the letters of St Cyprian of Carthage?
He considered the bishop of Rome to be on equal footing with his own bishopric, gave advice to the bishop of Rome, and was even referred to by the clergy at Rome as "pope" at a time when they were without a bishop.
His letters definitely show much respect to the bishop of Rome because at that time, being crowned bishop of Rome meant martyrdom within a short period of time. Thus those who accepted the role were exemplary Christians in every way, unfortunately it did not continue to be the case after Rome ceased to be a persecuted Church.

• Winner
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0