Anyone here who are Protestant converts what were you?

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And did you consider Roman Catholism first? There was a thread awhile ago featuring converts to Catholicism who later became Orthodox but I can't find it. It was an interesting thread.
Anyway Protestant converts what made you convert to EO? Especially since in North America(excepting maybe Alaska) there are so few EO churches around to experience.
Did you have trouble finding a place to worship.
I still plan on attending a church about 80 miles away, a Greek Orthodox church.
I can't wait but I work nights and weekends and hubby ain't feeling it so he's in no hurry so I'll have to plan a time. Winter's over so traveling is better now for a few months at least LOL here in the North.
Hubby did say if there was a parish closer he would like to attend but he doesn't like the idea of a long distance church since we were so heavily involved in the one were in when our kids were young. Although we're getting older so not as involved but would like to be.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
[raises hand] I wanted this to brief - even after editing, I think that's impossible.
Answering a question in the OP; I didn't take more than a passing glance at Catholicism.

My grandfather was a Baptist minister, in a very strict Calvinistic vein.
I was raised in the "Independent Baptist" church. If I recall correctly the sign actually said, "Independent, Fundamental, Missionary Baptist Church"
When I struck out on my own, I went to mostly Southern Baptist churches but spent a short, couple of years in a Methodist Church.

I really have nothing bad to say about my spiritual heritage. I am grateful for the introduction to the faith and the love and respect instilled for the scriptures that they offered. However, I was the 12-13 year old kid who raised his hand in a Sunday School class and asked, "If the 1611 King James Bible is really the only real version of God's Word, does thay mean there wasn't a Bible before 1611? So, what Bible did they use in 1500?"
Later, I recall purchasing an original (reprint) of the 1611 KJV for my grandfather because he wanted a Bible like his grandfather had, "..that had the book of Maccabees in it.."

I was always curious of church history, so I read a lot and was always inquiring but never a serious student of history.
I spent 12 years working in Christian (Evangelical) media/radio. I'm also a musician (I live in Nashville, it's a rule), so I played in various groups and church setting throughout my life (more to come). The curiosity of church history was raised again when the CCM progressive rock band "Iona" came out. I became a quick fan and studied their themes (Book of Kells, Lindisfarne, Saint Brendan etc).

fast-forward.. my daughter went to the School of the Arts, then onto an art college where she became interested in iconography. We visited the local Greek Orthodox parish during the Greek Festival and toured the church (2008-2009).

In 2010 a family crisis hit that shook me to the core. My wife had a serious health issue. The recovery and subsequent state of our family was drastically changed. I found myself searching for truth and not finding it. I would go to church on Sunday morning, play my role in the worship set, then slip out the back door to Starbucks, or over to do my grocery shopping while the remainder of the service took place. I seriously thought I'd heard everything there was to hear, every sermon, even illustration, I'd heard before.

In September 2012 we once again went to the Greek Festival at the parish. I picked up pamphlet on what the church believes and another on "Who is the Orthodox Church". Holy Thursday night 2013, the service with the Twelve Gospel readings my daughter and I went to a smaller parish, just to see what it was about.. Holy Week in an Orthodox Church. The next service I attended was the Sunday of Peter and Paul.. 2013..

It was soon after that my daughter and I began going to catechism at our current parish. My wife followed us a year later. My daughter and I were Chrismated Lazarus Saturday 2015, my wife was Chrismated last year.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christina C

Sep 23, 2016
England
✟26,752.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And did you consider Roman Catholism first? There was a thread awhile ago featuring converts to Catholicism who later became Orthodox but I can't find it. It was an interesting thread.
Anyway Protestant converts what made you convert to EO? Especially since in North America(excepting maybe Alaska) there are so few EO churches around to experience.
Did you have trouble finding a place to worship.
I still plan on attending a church about 80 miles away, a Greek Orthodox church.
I can't wait but I work nights and weekends and hubby ain't feeling it so he's in no hurry so I'll have to plan a time. Winter's over so traveling is better now for a few months at least LOL here in the North.
Hubby did say if there was a parish closer he would like to attend but he doesn't like the idea of a long distance church since we were so heavily involved in the one were in when our kids were young. Although we're getting older so not as involved but would like to be.
Not yet converted but looking to do so. No, didn't consider Roman Catholicism first - too many dogmas I'm not convinced about. I started as a low Church evangelical Anglican, then joined an evangelical free Church and attended a Baptist Church for a while - although didn't get re-baptism as an adult I'm pleased to say. Lost my way totally for quite a few years and am now attending an Anglican Church in the Anglo-Catholic tradition. Decided quite suddenly to start looking into Eastern Orthodoxy, over a year ago now I think - although my dad is Greek and was brought up Greek Orthodox he didn't tell me anything about the faith and I knew very little about EO. To cut a long story short, the more I read the more I as convinced that this was the way to go. There are certainly not that many EO Churches in the UK, particularly not that many that use English as the main language in their services, so I'm currently considering my options regarding where I can attend. My husband and two sons don't attend Church at all.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm kind of a weird case. I jumped back and forth like a ping pong ball between the Catholic Church that I was born into and the Anglican Church. Back and forth, back and forth.....finding no solace theologically or spiritually in either. The Orthodox Church always sounded RIGHT to me, but in my mind, "nah, too exotic, Russianish/Greekey....long beards, ethnic, meh....."

Then I encountered the Divine Liturgy and the fact an hour isn't THAT hard to drive...

Orthodoxy, I discovered, IS the ancient Church alive and well.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
[raises hand] I wanted this to brief - even after editing, I think that's impossible.
Answering a question in the OP; I didn't take more than a passing glance at Catholicism.

My grandfather was a Baptist minister, in a very strict Calvinistic vein.
I was raised in the "Independent Baptist" church. If I recall correctly the sign actually said, "Independent, Fundamental, Missionary Baptist Church"
When I struck out on my own, I went to mostly Southern Baptist churches but spent a short, couple of years in a Methodist Church.

I really have nothing bad to say about my spiritual heritage. I am grateful for the introduction to the faith and the love and respect instilled for the scriptures that they offered. However, I was the 12-13 year old kid who raised his hand in a Sunday School class and asked, "If the 1611 King James Bible is really the only real version of God's Word, does thay mean there wasn't a Bible before 1611? So, what Bible did they use in 1500?"
Later, I recall purchasing an original (reprint) of the 1611 KJV for my grandfather because he wanted a Bible like his grandfather had, "..that had the book of Maccabees in it.."

I was always curious of church history, so I read a lot and was always inquiring but never a serious student of history.
I spent 12 years working in Christian (Evangelical) media/radio. I'm also a musician (I live in Nashville, it's a rule), so I played in various groups and church setting throughout my life (more to come). The curiosity of church history was raised again when the CCM progressive rock band "Iona" came out. I became a quick fan and studied their themes (Book of Kells, Lindisfarne, Saint Brendan etc).

fast-forward.. my daughter went to the School of the Arts, then onto an art college where she became interested in iconography. We visited the local Greek Orthodox parish during the Greek Festival and toured the church (2008-2009).

In 2010 a family crisis hit that shook me to the core. My wife had a serious health issue. The recovery and subsequent state of our family was drastically changed. I found myself searching for truth and not finding it. I would go to church on Sunday morning, play my role in the worship set, then slip out the back door to Starbucks, or over to do my grocery shopping while the remainder of the service took place. I seriously thought I'd heard everything there was to hear, every sermon, even illustration, I'd heard before.

In September 2012 we once again went to the Greek Festival at the parish. I picked up pamphlet on what the church believes and another on "Who is the Orthodox Church". Holy Thursday night 2013, the service with the Twelve Gospel readings my daughter and I went to a smaller parish, just to see what it was about.. Holy Week in an Orthodox Church. The next service I attended was the Sunday of Peter and Paul.. 2013..

It was soon after that my daughter and I began going to catechism at our current parish. My wife followed us a year later. My daughter and I were Chrismated Lazarus Saturday 2015, my wife was Chrismated last year.
Interesting. My husband was Baptist, too, but has been attending Lutheran church with me for the almost 24 years of our marriage and loves it. It was his first introduction to a litugical church that practiced infant baptism and believes in the Real Presence in communion-so a transition to EO would be much easier for him now....he had no idea what liturgy even WAS before he married and attended church with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm kind of a weird case. I jumped back and forth like a ping pong ball between the Catholic Church that I was born into and the Anglican Church. Back and forth, back and forth.....finding no solace theologically or spiritually in either. The Orthodox Church always sounded RIGHT to me, but in my mind, "nah, too exotic, Russianish/Greekey....long beards, ethnic, meh....."

Then I encountered the Divine Liturgy and the fact an hour isn't THAT hard to drive...

Orthodoxy, I discovered, IS the ancient Church alive and well.
LOL. I think this parish I'm considering the priest is a convert himself and the website says it is conducted in English which really peaks my interest.
Yes I wish I didn't have to work so I could just study and read all the time,lol!!
We don't have traffic here but we have serious winter, but I guess if I got serious could start a mission church, maybe.
I've jumped around a lot myself, Baptized and confirmed Missouri Synod, went non-denominational for awhile when I re-committed my life to Christ(also managed not to get re-baptized) and then back to my Lutheran church(ELCA) missed the sacrements and finally to the WELS when the latter went way too liberal in both theology and morality.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not yet converted but looking to do so. No, didn't consider Roman Catholicism first - too many dogmas I'm not convinced about. I started as a low Church evangelical Anglican, then joined an evangelical free Church and attended a Baptist Church for a while - although didn't get re-baptism as an adult I'm pleased to say. Lost my way totally for quite a few years and am now attending an Anglican Church in the Anglo-Catholic tradition. Decided quite suddenly to start looking into Eastern Orthodoxy, over a year ago now I think - although my dad is Greek and was brought up Greek Orthodox he didn't tell me anything about the faith and I knew very little about EO. To cut a long story short, the more I read the more I as convinced that this was the way to go. There are certainly not that many EO Churches in the UK, particularly not that many that use English as the main language in their services, so I'm currently considering my options regarding where I can attend. My husband and two sons don't attend Church at all.
Yes, not having a close by church can be a barrier, but maybe that will change, soon in North America and Western Europe. I considered The Episcopal church for awhile but with reading and research decided here in the States at least they are way too liberal. There are more conservative Anglican Unions but they are even more scarce here in North America than Eastern Orthodox churches. Also, I've become very interested in Apostolic Succession...which is not a sure thing in Lutheranism or Anglicanism but there are arguments before and against that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not yet converted, but definitely working on it. Hope my reply isn't out of place.

Had RC baptism, not raised Catholic, though. Parents are lapsed Catholics who went to a Restoration Movement church for several of my formative years.

What's making me look ever more seriously into EO (icons, prayers, consultations, attendance at long last) is something beyond any one practice or dogma. It "feels real" in a way I haven't seen before. Good luck to you and if there's one piece of advice I can offer - when you visit, make the most of your drive and time. Stay for Liturgy, stay for the fellowship or coffee hour, meet people, build on each visit.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Interesting. My husband was Baptist, too, but has been attending Lutheran church with me for the almost 24 years of our marriage and loves it. It was his first introduction to a litugical church that practiced infant baptism and believes in the Real Presence in communion-so a transition to EO would be much easier for him now....he had no idea what liturgy even WAS before he married and attended church with me.
I'd never heard of EO until I visited the Shroud Of Turin exhibit in Atlanta, this would've been in the late 80s, early 90s (I was already on my own). In my world there was only various evangelicals/protestants and the "evils of the RCC". There were no catholic nor even 'high church protestant churches in the rural area of TN where I grew up.
My introduction to that all happened after I moved to the Atlanta area on my own.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not yet converted, but definitely working on it. Hope my reply isn't out of place.

Had RC baptism, not raised Catholic, though. Parents are lapsed Catholics who went to a Restoration Movement church for several of my formative years.

What's making me look ever more seriously into EO (icons, prayers, consultations, attendance at long last) is something beyond any one practice or dogma. It "feels real" in a way I haven't seen before. Good luck to you and if there's one piece of advice I can offer - when you visit, make the most of your drive and time. Stay for Liturgy, stay for the fellowship or coffee hour, meet people, build on each visit.
Oh yes, definitely. I like the idea of coffee hour or fellowship.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd never heard of EO until I visited the Shroud Of Turin exhibit in Atlanta, this would've been in the late 80s, early 90s (I was already on my own). In my world there was only various evangelicals/protestants and the "evils of the RCC". There were no catholic nor even 'high church protestant churches in the rural area of TN where I grew up.
My introduction to that all happened after I moved to the Atlanta area on my own.
I've heard even Lutheran churches are not common in some areas in the south. Not out West, either.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our parish is also in English with a few small Slavonic parts thrown in here and there. My kids, by the way, go to an LCMS Lutheran Christian school.

The drive to church is about 40 minutes for us (the way I drive! LOL), and it can be relaxing and a time to have a good conversation with my wife and kids. The drive is very much worth it!

LOL. I think this parish I'm considering the priest is a convert himself and the website says it is conducted in English which really peaks my interest.
Yes I wish I didn't have to work so I could just study and read all the time,lol!!
We don't have traffic here but we have serious winter, but I guess if I got serious could start a mission church, maybe.
I've jumped around a lot myself, Baptized and confirmed Missouri Synod, went non-denominational for awhile when I re-committed my life to Christ(also managed not to get re-baptized) and then back to my Lutheran church(ELCA) missed the sacrements and finally to the WELS when the latter went way too liberal in both theology and morality.

Upvote 0

Christina C

Sep 23, 2016
England
✟26,752.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've heard even Lutheran churches are not common in some areas in the south. Not out West, either.
I think there are only about 8 Lutheran Churches with services in English in the whole of England. It's not a denomination that is common over here!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From what I read about England, sadly it looks like Christianity in general isn't common over there! If it weren't for Catholics, doesn't seem like there'd be a church? Isn't the attendance in CofE parishes at an insanely low point right now?

I think there are only about 8 Lutheran Churches with services in English in the whole of England. It's not a denomination that is common over here!

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I grew up Southern Baptist, but left it for a traditional Anglican Catholic parish in my 30s. At that point, I began a search for the original church, determined that if it still existed I needed to be part of it! Yes, I thought I might go to the RCC if I were convinced it was the Church and I was doing a lot of reading about it, but as I became aware of Orthodoxy I knew that was where I belonged.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,086.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Raised Anglican, met a Greek girl in a Baptist Church, got married, move to Greece for 12 years, started researching the basis for all the stuff about the Orthodox Church which weirded me out, found that I agreed with it and decided that this was the Church where I had to be.

The more I learn, the more it confirms I made the right choice.

Upvote 0

Bessie

Orthodox Christian
Jun 9, 2007
Colorado
✟44,688.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Sorry this is so long. My parents are not religious. My dad tells me he has come to believe in God partially through people in his life who has faith, but he has no interest in organized religion. I started pushing to go to church as a little kid, second or third grade I guess. My parents sent me to the Unitarian Universalists because they thought I probably would't get indoctrinated there. The Unitarians recommended I check out the Quakers when I started getting political and embracing pacifism and in 9th grade I started attending a local Quaker meeting regularly as well as occasionally singing in an Episcopalian choir.

Then one day I went to a Roman Catholic mass with some friends and had an experience around the consecration of the Eucharist that led me to believe that Christ was really present. I tried to avoid becoming Catholic since I was a happy left leaning hippie pacifist and didn't like some of their "backwards" policies like not ordaining women, so I got baptized in the Episcopalian church at 16, but I never felt the same power there. Ultimately I enrolled in RCIA and became Roman Catholic at age 17. At the time I had reservations about saying I believed everything they taught, but I thought having access to the sacraments would ultimately resolve my concerns. However, after John Paul II died and Benedict XIV was elected I had a crisis of faith around the issue of the papacy and eventually realized I couldn't stay Catholic because I just didn't believe in papal authority the way the church taught.

Orthodoxy was essentially an end of the line decision for me. I hadn't really looked into it before becoming Catholic and so didn't really consider it an option, but when I realized that apostolic succession and the sacraments were not optional for me but that I couldn't accept the Pope, it became pretty clear where my options lay. I started attending and getting involved and I asked questions, but most of it happened through osmosis to be honest. I never had any major hurdles or freakouts (though I did sort of panic right before my chrismation), everything made a ton of sense when I did have questions. It took a lot longer for me to absorb Orthodoxy and really appreciate the differences than it took me to go through conversion.

Upvote 0

graphite412

Eastern Orthodox Neophyte
Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
✟30,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was raised in a secular environment and my Mom didn't start taking me to the baptist church until around age 8 or 9. I can't even remember if I knew about a concept of God at that time. My mom made me attend that church for a while and I was baptized there as well. Shortly after this, my dad and I started attending a Methodist congregation for a couple years. After this time I stopped attending any sort of church until my last year of high school when I became interested in God and Christianity.

I attended the baptist church of my youth for just a short time and then I went to a charismatic non-denominational church for many years. After I had a doctrinal issue with the new pastor of that congregation, I left and attended a Pentecostal congregation for a few years. While I was in the Charismatic/Pentecostal environment, I came slowly to realize the amount of new-age spiritism type of spirituality in these groups especially in really well known ministries. Also the amount of buffoonery from false prophecies, faked healings, and weird visions really started to put me off. A lot of the well known figures in these groups were portrayed as holy men of God, perhaps like the saints are in the Orthodox Church, but it would turn out that they were sexually immoral or would be putting up a false notion of personal holiness. It also so happened that in these groups, which were often ecumenical in nature, that I was exposed to the concept of interior prayer. I started to pray in this manner and it had a profound effect on me. These groups got a lot of their good sober teachings from other groups that they tended to pick and choose from so as to take the truth and mix it with error.

After a number of years in the Charismatic movement I had some negative spiritual experiences that involved some of my friends, which left me quite shell shocked for about three years. It took time to eventually get over this trial in my life and continue my Christian walk. After this trial I started reading up on contemplative prayer and through this I started to do comparative theology on my own. During this research I read about hesychasm and the Orthodox Church, and this caused me to study Orthodoxy and eventually read a couple of Orthodox books. Reading John Cassian's "Conferences," and "The Way of a Pilgrim," made a huge impact on mind. Because of this I started studying Orthodoxy exclusively and eventually started to attend some parishes. Almost a year later I became a catechumen, and then was received into the church through Chrismation on Holy Saturday 2015.

I really didn't take Roman Catholicism too seriously because I knew I didn't agree with their recent dogmatic developments, but I did not encounter these in Orthodoxy. I'm also especially glad that I didn't become Roman Catholic in light of the things that Pope Francis speaks. It does take about an hour and fifteen minutes to drive to my home parish even though there is a Greek Church about an hour away. There are no local Orthodoxy Churches in the rural part of Missouri that I live in.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was raised fundamentalist Baptist. Became a Southern Baptist pastor. Then spent about 8 years in the Pentecostal movement as a minister. At the end of that time we went through a whirlwind search that had stops in Conservative Mennonite (yes, beards and suspenders), Conservative German Baptist (Anabaptist Brethren), Lutheran, Anglican and then a final try at Baptist (Freewill). I had looked at Orthodoxy on and off since 2011 (when I left Pentecostalism), but it seemed too exotic for my wife and me. However, personal despair and depression caused me to look for something else and we have found it. There is a sense of finality in Orthodoxy that I haven't experienced elsewhere.

Upvote 0