Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is a limitation on the variable type that holds this information for each member.

It was in fact changed once before - about a year and a half ago, I think. The original field size for that variable was 2^31 (or, 2,147,483, 648); it was changed after a number of people maxed out to 2^63, the current value (or, 9,223,372,036,854,780,000).

The problem with reputation is that it is an exponential function - in other words, it increases exponentially, not linearly. Whereas it took a number of years for people to reach the first limit, it took but a few months for them to max out at the next limit (which is over 4 billion times as large as the first limit).

The next limit would be 2^127 (or, 170,141,183,460,469,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000). I doubt we'll go there due to the massive memory necessary to contain such information for so many people.

Honestly, a total revamping of the reputation system needs to occur to enable the system to work properly - which I doubt will take place either.

We're actually looking at it. The process is as you say above...

Exactly. Trim top users down to the first three digits of reputation, reload everyone below a certain level to a base value, reset some powers and drop the rep repeat rates.

That is one way but it is sort of a pain...not only that but I'm not entirely sure that I want to be in the position of deciding who gets what. That being said...it is more than merely running a few SQL queries (which would nuke things right quick). We'd have to take the board down, run a backup, run the queries, rebuild all user reps, ensure that everything worked right, and then turn the board back on (assuming that everything didn't geek up...in which case we'd need to reload the backup).

So...given the size of our DB etc...I simply dunno about this. Granted, I personally think that the situation is a bit silly / gotten out of hand. I get a little queasy when I think of entire tables being emptied (for a variety of reasons).

So...sort of "who knows" / no real answer at the moment, I guess.

Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church
Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Was it ever determined whether a new faith icon can be added to CF? I requested an icon called Celtic Catholic or Celtic Christian and I basically got in the end....we will get back to you. No definate answer so far and it's been like 3 months or more since i first requested anything.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
Out of curiosity, how big is your database? Must be up in the tens to gigabytes/over that, surely?

You could always close the boards, uninstall the mod, drop the tables completely, reinstall the mod and rebuild user info - that should work fine really.... And you could always build a sandbox. Sure, it'd be a mega PITA, but it's worth it.... Been there, dropped tables, faced fail.

It is...large. Many digits in front of the commas. We're in the top 25 biggest boards on the internet in terms of posts / membership. Of course there is a lot of junk like 4chan etc in front of us...but whatever.

With respect to the process (as you say)...totally got it. More of a question of "is it worth it" etc etc.

Was it ever determined whether a new faith icon can be added to CF? I requested an icon called Celtic Catholic or Celtic Christian and I basically got in the end....we will get back to you. No definate answer so far and it's been like 3 months or more since i first requested anything.

Send me a PM with the design. The issue is...postbit isn't so awesome with really intricate designs. They're all way, way small and pretty basic. Most of the rejections comes not because we're not amenable but merely because the whole image server / profile loading / etc etc. frankly, i've got to fine the info about the max PX etc.

i'm not entirely sure what your icon was...either celtic or presbyterian (i think...those are the two that pop to the front of my mind).

like i said...send a pm and we'll see if we can work the issues.

Upvote 0

Nilla

No longer on staff
Apr 8, 2006
Sweden
✟56,683.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I'm sure this information is on the site somewhere, but for some reason I can't find it. Can someone tell me how many posts a person must have before they are no longer considered a Newbie? Thanks
Newbie: 0 posts
Junior Member: 15 posts
Member: 50 posts
Regular Member: 100posts
Senior Member: 500 posts
Veteran: 1,000 posts
Senior Veteran: 2,000 posts
Contributor: 5,000 posts
Senior Contributor: 7,500posts
Legend: 10,000 posts

Christian Forums - FAQ

That's what I can find in the FAQ anyway. Some of the FAQ's needs to be updated (and it's something that's being done) so I can't say if this is still true or not.

Edit to add: Hmm according to this you should be a Regular Member.. I'll kick this upstairs and add to the list of things to be updated. :)

Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church
Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Send me a PM with the design. The issue is...postbit isn't so awesome with really intricate designs. They're all way, way small and pretty basic. Most of the rejections comes not because we're not amenable but merely because the whole image server / profile loading / etc etc. frankly, i've got to fine the info about the max PX etc.

i'm not entirely sure what your icon was...either celtic or presbyterian (i think...those are the two that pop to the front of my mind).

like i said...send a pm and we'll see if we can work the issues.

PM sent sir.
:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.